PDA

View Full Version : Mecum Classic Boat Auction

jl1962
01-06-2012, 01:01 PM
From Gar Wood's 1929 Miss America VIII http://www.mecum.com/auctions/lot_detail.cfm?LOT_ID=FL0112-121272
to a very nice 28' Magnum http://www.mecum.com/auctions/lot_detail.cfm?LOT_ID=FL0112-121329&entryRow=9&lottype=boat
and lots of cool boats in between.

Who knows, maybe next year an old Donzi!

McGary911
01-07-2012, 10:25 AM
They typically have an old boat or 2 at this one. Looks like there'll be even more this year. That Magnum sure does look interesting. I've been to this auction most years, and will be sure to check it out this year. You do have to be careful at these things, as many will just grab something interesting (like an old Mag'), do a quick cosmetic shine job, and see what they get for it. No test drives\sea trials will hide a lot of junk.

Here are a few pics from other years. One is an old Switzer from 2007 and the other is a crazy nice Riva from 2010.

jl1962
01-07-2012, 10:59 AM
I just like the idea of collectors getting used to seeing cool, classic boats next to cool, classic cars. The whole Keels and Wheels trend is a good thing.

That Riva is insanely nice. And I love all the early glass oddities.....

Bubba Dog
01-07-2012, 08:19 PM
[ QUOTE=$originalposter]{$pagetext}[/QUOTE]

With the Garwood it looks like they said; Oh, and we are going to need two seats.:cool:

Capevettes
01-10-2012, 07:42 AM
I'm flying down from Mass to attend the NCRS (National Corvette Restorers Society) event being held in Kissimmee and also plan on attending the Mecum car auction. It may end up being the largest classic car auction ever, with over 2,000 cars going across the block. It will be nice to see the boats as well. We have been going for a few years now and the auction has gotten larger every year. Looking forward to it.

BUIZILLA
01-10-2012, 07:59 AM
this is the reply I just got back from them, obviously I waited to late to inquire...

Jim,

Thank you for considering Mecum Auctions on the sale of your boat. We have positions available on Sunday the 29th but unfortunately the boat brochure has been printed and will be sent next week to our followers. Obviously we can consign your Donzi and present the photos and accurate description to everyone online. There is an entry fee of $500 which is not refundable and an additional 10% seller's premium if the boat sells. You can place a reserve also, which we would recommend with this late entry. We are offering a Magnum which will be presented the day before so your boat would not be the only fiberglass boat in the auction.

Please let me know if you have any additional questions or would like to begin the consignment process.

Sincerely,
--
Scott M. AlesMecum Auctions
Cell 407-257-5854
Office/Home 352-735-5496
Fax 352-735-5497
www.mecum.com (http://www.mecum.com/)

McGary911
02-05-2012, 10:15 AM
The auction was fun. I was there on Friday night\Saturday. I even met up with a guy who works for me to do his end year review. He works from home, so I don't normally get to see him much. He's a car nut too, and didn't know about the auction, so he really enjoyed it.

It was bigger this year than any other year I'd been there. I like cool foreign stuff, and there was more of that this year. I took a few pics of some of the old boats. The Chris Craft with the wing on the back was way cool. The Magnum bidding stopped at 43k, I think. The owner would have let it go for 55. It looked to be in pretty nice shape, with a knowledgeable owner. The interior was showing some wear, but otherwise, it was a nice piece. He seemed to be pretty happy to be talking to another boat guy. He even knew what a Crit' was. :wink:

Sorry for the crap pics. I left my SLR at my sister's house in Tampa over Tgiving, so Blackberry cam was all I had.

The pic of the bike is a 2012 HD RoadKing that my buddy stole on Tuesday. Lots of nice custom parts, < 1000 miles. Even after all the auction fees, he was out the door for $4900. I didn't forget a 1 in front of that.

I also made a stop on my drive back on Sunday. Judging from the pic, who can guess where I was?

zelatore
02-05-2012, 10:56 AM
"The pic of the bike is a 2012 HD RoadKing that my buddy stole on Tuesday. Lots of nice custom parts, < 1000 miles. Even after all the auction fees, he was out the door for $4900. I didn't forget a 1 in front of that. "

Stole? I guess so! Not even my kind of bike, but for that money I'd have it!

Of course, had that been at BJ in Phoenix, it would have sold for $34900...:wink:

silverghost
02-05-2012, 11:27 AM
I heard that the Garwood "Miss America" raceboat was bit up to $750,000 +/- I believe; and did not meet the reserve so did not sell.
The owners have been trying to sell that boat for several years however. They have been shopping it around ~~

I don't know why they just don't finally finish that boat's restoration ?
It would be worth far more when the restoration is finally completed .

What Did the spectacular Chris~Craft Cobra, (With that giant aft gold fin), get bid-up to ?

Did it meet reserve , and actually sell ?

McGary911
02-05-2012, 12:42 PM
SG, that Chris Craft just met reserve, and sold for $67. It was really a beautiful boat. I was actually on the floor when it went across the block. As I was walking outside a few minutes later, there was a husband and wife taking turns taking pics of them on the boat. Those new owners had the biggest smiles I saw all day.

As for another interesting cobra, there was a '67 Shelby Cobra DragonSnake that went for $850. The year before it went for $875. I remember the first time it rolled across the block in Kissimmee back in '07. Back then it went for 1.4 million. Someone took quite the bath on that one. :boggled:

Oh, and the Gar-Wood got to 700k, and didn't meet reserve......

jl1962
02-05-2012, 01:33 PM
McGary-

Thanks for posting.

67K for the CC Cobra seems less than they were going for a few years ago.

700k for the Gar Wood seems high! Reminds me of The Odd Couple where Felix is on the game show and keeps winning and Oscar is watching from the audience and keeps yelling "Take the money!"

;)

silverghost
02-07-2012, 02:32 PM
The Auction Cobra sounds like a great deal.
Those 18 & 21 foot C~C Cobras were selling for at least $100 K+++ just before the economy tanked.

Was this a 21 foot Cobra , or the smaller 18 footer ?
They built roughly 25 of each size.
Reproductions have also been built lately.

What engine powered the auction Cobra ?
Most had the high-performance race Chris~Craft three updraft carbed large Flathead six (Hercules-built)

A special race Cal Connell Crusaider Cadillac V-8 engine was the top-of-the-line power option.

I could have bought a 21 Cobra with the Cal Connell Crusaider Cadillac V-8 in 1970 for only one thousand bucks $$$; from Longport Marine a longtime NJ Chris~Craft dealer.
There was also an 18 Cobra there that could have been bought for around $600 !
Nobody want to buy ANY wooden speedboats by this time.
Thy just sat in an inside storage building collecting dust.

The old story Coulda, Woulda, Shoulda story again here.~~~
My Dad thought the Cobra was very cool boat; but impractical for use as a family boat~~~so we passed on buying it.

OH Well~~~ ?