PDA

View Full Version : King Cobra maintenance and service questions

JayZ
01-06-2012, 11:06 AM
Hey All,

While I have my motor out and am figuring out what I will do for a repower what are some good things to do to the KC Outdrive (it is off the boat)

Is there a service kit or something that has seals, gaskets, bellows etc. that I could / should purchase?

For what it is worth it is a '92-93 King Cobra drive unit.

Thanks,

Jay

Barry Eller
01-07-2012, 06:29 AM
I would suggest replacing all external seals that could allow water to enter the drive. On my old drive, the seal around the water pump impeller shaft went out and it was pumping salt water into my drive, causing catastrophic damage. I was lucky to find a "NOS" replacement King Cobra at a good price. I am keeping my old drive, it is "Pickled" now for parts if needed in the future.

RedDog
01-07-2012, 09:09 AM
Replace the water pump impellor.

dsparis
01-07-2012, 11:36 AM
I bought a transom service kit from Doug Russell marine. Had bellows, impeller, gimbal bearing etc. Funny thing is the only problem i"ve ever had with my KC is the gimbal bearing, and its the same as used by mercruiser.

JayZ
01-09-2012, 07:50 PM
Thanks guys,

I'll pull i.d. numbers off the drive and call Doug Russell to order kit/seals.

-Jay

Jraysray
01-10-2012, 03:40 PM
Put some thought into what your putting in front of it. Talk to that guy I was telling you about he might have a deal for you.

JayZ
01-10-2012, 05:03 PM
Scott, tried to call him a few times today. Could not get a hold of him. Left a message ...

MOP
01-10-2012, 08:05 PM
It will hold quite a bit more HP than a Bravo but parts are bit tougher to get.