PDA

View Full Version : Deck is off 16' OB

MikeB1
12-29-2011, 10:18 AM
Deck is off (see pictures)6941969420694216942269423. Thanks for your suggestions. Finally popped open with some help from a hydraulic jack and blocks of wood at the transom between the hull and deck. It was an exciting lift with one come along and the whole family pitching in with the lifting. Bad news is transom plywood is water damaged and the gussets are cracked at stringers in a few spots.

I had planned to do fiberglass work myself, but my experience is limited. I'm thinking a professional may be needed to replace transom. Any thoughts? Does anybody know a good fiberglass guy in the Fort Lauderdale area? And how much this might cost?

Thanks,
Mike B

Morgan's Cloud
12-29-2011, 11:28 AM
Having someone else do it could end up costing a whole lot more than what you might think the project is worth .. Don't know what the going cost is there for competant glass guy though .

Working with glass can be a lot of fun to the uninitiated if you're good with your hands and patient. Even the transom replacement isn't as hard as you might think.

There are a good few guys here more than qualified to walk you through it .

The bundle of $$ you save doing it yourself can be lavished on other stuff later on down the road. Just ask me ... lol

biggiefl
12-29-2011, 01:09 PM
I have a guy that is cheap but good. His finish work is not the best but you are not in need of finish work. I bet he would do the entire hull and put the cap back on for under a G. Just north of Sarasota, might be worth the 3 hour ride.

RPD
01-06-2012, 03:03 PM
Interesting.... my 16OB has a lot more foam, full length outside the stringers. Did you have foam and remove it, or was it that clean all along.

As for the transom, you probably can do it. There's no real "finish" work involved.

mattyboy
01-08-2012, 08:08 AM
something to keep in mind regarding the floatation foam. the requirement for the foam came after the production run on the 16 ob had started. so some early examples might not have any foam at all .

Greg Guimond
01-08-2012, 08:57 AM
I only have a little bit of foam up in the bow on my 16 OB The Mule, to the left and right of the stringer ends.

BUIZILLA
01-08-2012, 10:35 AM
my 16 had enough foam to almost fill a shortbed pickup truck bed..

MikeB1
01-27-2012, 07:12 PM
There was no foam in this one. Just around the gas tank. The deck needs a lot of work. Guess I will have to cut out the core and replace.