PDA

View Full Version : Gas Tank Options 16' OB?

MikeB1
12-29-2011, 09:56 AM
Pulled out gas tank yesterday. I believe it was 25 gallons and foamed in between stringers and gussets. Both gussets are cracked along stringers.

Has anyone put in a new tank without foaming it in place? I'd like to expand to 40 gallons and mount differently if possible. Seems like you could move one gusset back closer to transom in order to make room for larger tank.

I'd appreciate any advice from those of you who have already tackled this project.

Thanks,
Mike

mattyboy
12-29-2011, 10:27 AM
Yes I replaced my 16 23 gallon tank with rubber support strips/feet and used brackets to secure the tank to the stringers. I was told by "those in the know" that that setup would not last since then the new owner and almost 9 years has passed the boat has been brutally abused and the tank is the only part of the boat that has not been replaced.

things to keep in mind as the tank grows larger it will need more support and bracing, ears can be added to attach the tank to the stringers from the mfg'r. make sure you use a company that will send you the drawings to approve before construction . if you have a site gauge make sure your measurements are dead one if you want to continue to use it. make sure the tank is made strong enough has well and the placement of the fittings will work for your layout florida marine tanks has a fmt 23 dz that was an original tank for the early classics.

COG will come into play as you are close to doubling fuel cap. and weight. I'll let the hydrodynamical wizards talk on that point. my feeling on the 16 it rode better with weight moved forward and more wetted surface not sure what the outcome would be on a lighter OB with longer inner strakes

Greg Guimond
12-29-2011, 12:58 PM
Mike,
Pull up my thread "Building Surface Tension" then within the thread itself do a "gas tank" search. I have a lot of info on tanks in there you might find useful. A lot depends on how you are going to repower the boat.
Greg

BUIZILLA
12-29-2011, 02:52 PM
Mike, I just went through all this, come see my boat, everything will be self explanatory after that...

Jim

Greg Guimond
12-29-2011, 06:58 PM
Here is my new 16 OB tank........built it low and long with a step :yes: