View Full Version : donzi bottom

DAULEY
12-21-2011, 09:32 PM
did donzi ever build a 22 with a sharp kehl not sure if i spelled this right
or has anyone ever reworked there bottom

Dr. David Fleming
12-22-2011, 04:10 AM
Dauley

There are two or more 22 donzi hulls. There is the 22 classic made from the 1960's to last year and there is a 22ZX made from the early 1990s to about 2006 and there is a 22Z which is a design from the 1980's. There might even be a couple more. Which one are you talking about?

Secondly, Donzi spends a great deal of time making the fastest best boats possible. Few of us would be able to make any corrections to the hull design and get anything positive out of this change. This is also a fairly hard thing to do.

You can do a lot of things to the bottom of your boat to screw it up. Most folks just repair it and leave changing its design alone.

There are guys on this site who have fixed just about any Donzi bottom in about any condition. If you identify your boat and discribe the problem then they can probably tell you how to fix it.

mattyboy
12-22-2011, 05:06 AM
I think there is a 22 c that was a race boat the bottom had a pad a blue or black one. This was modified by the owner not the factory

gcarter
12-22-2011, 06:12 AM
I'm not aware of any.
Sharp keel, deep VEE hulls don't seem to offer any advantages, tend to be slower due to loss of lift generated by the round keel, or pad, and increase wetted surface.
Sharp keels were one of the first hull features to be changed in the early years.

Scott Pearson
12-22-2011, 07:42 AM
Dr. Fleming...Where do you get your information from? There were NO 22 classic hulls made in the 60's. The first 22 classic hull was a Criterion and it was in the late 70's.

The only 22 hull made in the 60's was the 7 meter. And that hull could not be confused with a 22 classic hull.

Lets get the story stright.....wow...:eek:

RickSE
12-22-2011, 08:54 AM
There has been a few changes to the 22C hull, right? Didn't they start out with a flat chine then at some point were switched to a reverse chine? We also know that the inner lifting strakes were moved outward at some point in the mid to late 90's when the stringer placement was spread.

mattyboy
12-22-2011, 10:38 AM
I can't help it I get the mental picture from the Dr.'s post that when the boat emerges from the mold the Donzi technicians are there in their white lab coats ,white kit cloves,pocket protectors with their name on them,slide rule and square in hand making sure each bottom is exactly square perfect and unblemished.

that is certainly not the case some boats suffer from pre mature ejection only to have hook harden in their bottoms, others suffer from genetic mutations passed on from their parent molds. ;)

Morgan's Cloud
12-23-2011, 07:07 AM
pre mature ejection is something that can be fixed with some patience and practice ... :kingme:

gcarter
12-23-2011, 08:00 AM
All the Minx's I've seen have the hook issues.

Greg Guimond
12-23-2011, 11:52 AM
Here you go..........

Inferno
12-23-2011, 04:17 PM
I wouldn't touch the bottom unless the boat does crazy things. However, if you plan on any speed above 80 mph I would fiberglass 2-3 layers inside the bottom bilge and core it with 3/4 balsa. These boat were not made for high speeds and could flex. The stronger the bottom is the faster you will go. My 22 Classic was just done with double stringers,double cross stringers every 8 inches and completly cored. I am planning to have major ponies...

Greg Guimond
12-23-2011, 05:49 PM
Mint 22 Classic ...........?
Extra Core, stringers, and bulkhead stiffeners .........?
Finding the extra few mph after searching for years ..........? Priceless

If you are going to blueprint and strengthen the bottom you might as well add the pad as well and go the whole magilla

Ed Donnelly
12-23-2011, 08:53 PM
If you are going the whole magilla, Then also add the step...........Ed

Tony
12-23-2011, 10:07 PM
Matty, pre-mature ejection is bad enough, but I really hate it when the hook hardens in the bottom!