PDA

View Full Version : Barn Find Part 2

Rob M
12-18-2011, 05:50 PM
Amazing what you can find off the beaten path...

Greg Guimond
12-18-2011, 06:29 PM
nice!

Buddyc
12-18-2011, 07:53 PM
Good for you! Nice!

maddad
12-18-2011, 07:56 PM
Is that another formula jr. crawling out of the weeds somewhere?!?!

bertsboat
12-18-2011, 08:31 PM
Its a barn find, not a Formula !!!!

badbird
12-18-2011, 10:31 PM
Nice.....tell us more...did you find it in Ontario ?...more pics please :shades:

that guy1
12-19-2011, 12:48 AM
Wow it amazes me what you can find in these old sheds/barns lol

bertsboat
12-19-2011, 05:58 AM
Without the scoop it must have the Renault engine in it. The reason the scoop was installed is because the Mercruiser was a bit too high to close. The carb abd exhaust were a few inches higher than the lid so they cut a hole and added the hatch scoop. Is the hatch two piece (split down the middle) or one? That's a significant find Rob. Considering there were only 14 of these great boats made. Wait till you take a ride in that. You will think you are in a much larger Donzi. Rides like a little Cadillac. Fun stuff here!!!!

bertsboat
12-19-2011, 06:05 AM
69302Look at my avitar. That looks like its the poster boat. The one they used in their brochure at www.allardmarine.com (http://www.allardmarine.com)

Greg Guimond
12-19-2011, 07:09 AM
How many of the (14) are accounted for? What a find is right!

mattyboy
12-19-2011, 08:04 AM
Rob,

great find and i know you are a person that appreciates and recognizes the worth of these early donzi. I can think of no hands better able to do this boat justice. On quick a side, when I saw your post and the time of the year and the color of the boat I said If I found it the boat would be called Little St Nick what a nice holiday gift, good luck with it. Rob let me know if I can help define the history of the boat for you If you have a hull number or any info I can check for you.

Greg

the records indicate that 13 of these boats were built and invoiced by Donzi the last one in Nov of 67
there may be a few unsold boats( i know of one) that followed Don on his way from company to company along 188th street. Pearson has a 14 that has a Cigarette 1977 14 HIN, title and Bill of sale from the factory it was sold in 77 . the HIN is not attached to the hull as the boat was built before HIN were mandatory . Berts red boat has a 78 cigarette HIN in the hull which means it was pulled from the molds at the Cigarette factory in 78. . Bing Goode from cigarette remembered dragging Pearson's boat around 188th st as an un-rigged hull then finally rigging it and selling it as a cigarette in 77. Not sure how many cigarette 14 hulls were made Berts is the only one I know of. The 14 hull is a rare boat as a Donzi and is a super rare boat maybe one of a kind boat as a Cigarette.

Carl C
12-19-2011, 08:15 AM
Wow! Very cool that "barn find #2" was the real deal! More pics would be nice.

olredalert
12-19-2011, 09:16 AM
----The drive appears to be black. Has this find had a drivetrain upgrade???.......Bill S

f_inscreenname
12-19-2011, 09:19 AM
Sweet!

Scott Pearson
12-19-2011, 10:38 AM
Rob,
Great find! It would be interesting to know the hull number. I have a bunch of correct hardware parts cast for these
14's. If you are missing anything I will see what I have. Also the cast corner rub rail that wraps around the side to the transom...I have another set if you need them. Dont know if they are on the boat are not.

Good luck!!!!!

Rob M
12-19-2011, 08:17 PM
Thanks to all for the kind words on this boat - they are appreciated. Apologies for the delay in posting a response. Matty and Scott, thanks also for the offers of assistance (and the name) - I will probably call you up on them! I will try to answer as many questions posed above in one thread - for convenience. Hopefully they can help to add another piece to the story of these great boats.

This boat is from Maryland. I made an epic road trip Saturday (almost worthy of RudeBuoy's) down to MD. Swapped trailers and was done with the operation in one hour. Back up yesterday - hauled it along the Appalachian Hwy. and thru Buffalo into Ontario. No issue at customs - they thought I was crazy for buying 'that old boat'. The gentleman I purchased it from - a great character who has lived a rough and tumble life - bought it in 1976 from around that area. Prior to that it likely had 2 owners. He was told it was once a tender for a large yacht owned by a member of the Rockefeller family (probably not true but a good tale). While in his care the boat saw time in the MD area - mainly on Chesapeake Bay, and also spent time in FLA. It was overhauled in the early nineties with the drive rebuilt, a paint job, new upholstery, and lexan windshield. As he has grown old so has the boat - it has sat - sinking in his 'back 40' for about 15 years.

The good news - the boat was cheap, and is all original in configuration - all hardware, gauges, outdrive, engine are original - very little is missing. The bad news - it is beat, and needs a full restoration. Somewhere in its life someone decided to secure the deck with approximately 300 screws above and below the rubrail. Engine has not turned in 15 years. Same with outdrive. Trailer was a POS. You get the idea. But I knew all this well before heading down.

Details are as follows:

Titled as 1965 - may or may not be true
Serial #s - TBD - the boat is full of dirt and mud, and it is below zero so I have not crawled under the deck to look
Engine is the original Mercury 60 - Renault 80 HP
Drive is original Mercruiser with a cable and crank - will get a serial number when I get a chance
Engine hatches are dual/butterfly style - one has some delamination
Original colour - TBD - probably same as the paint job, you can tell from the engine hatch area that the stripe was always red. Not sure about the hull though.
Hull sounding is good - these are solid little boats, issues will be where the through deck/hull fittings were. Some delamination under the dash edge too. Transom sounds good.
Stringers - unknown, have not crawled in there yet, although there is tons of room to do so.

That's it for now. My plan is to get the boat to a local resto shop for a review of what a proper restoration will entail (though I have a good sense of the $$$ based on past discussions). There are several in Ontario who do very good work - including the guys who did Bill S's old Corsican. It won't be cheap either way, so we will see. I have no desire to put Coca Cola stripes or any other mods on the boat. My preference is as close to original as possible. That includes gel vs. paint - and the original engine and drive if they can be made operational.

I was glad to finally find one of these, as I have been looking for well over 10 years.

Here's a few added pictures:

that guy1
12-19-2011, 09:54 PM
This boat is not in that bad of shape..it looks like it can be easily restored..the hull still looks very solid! What are your plans for this boat? Sell it, restore it?

that guy1
12-19-2011, 09:57 PM
Please disregard my last post. I was too busy drooling over the pictures and I did not read your paragraph about your plans. My mistake! AWESOME BOAT!!!

silverghost
12-19-2011, 10:26 PM
Rob~
Congratulations ~~~Great Find !

How did you hear about the Florida registered boat in Maryland~~~~From way up north in Canada ?

How on earth ever did you track it down ?

It would appear that most of these Baby 14's that were ever produced still seem to exist, or have at the very least been completely accounted for .

From Baby 14 threads posted earlier here on this forum it would appear that possibly only TWO of these Donzi Baby 14's might still be lurking out there somewhere hidden away & still be un-accounted for by Donzi collectors. (not counting Cigarette branded Baby 14s )

WoW~~~ TWO still missing Donzi Baby 14s out of the original production of less than 15 of these boats were ever produced.

What are the odds of finding another new & undiscovered Baby 14 ?

badbird
12-19-2011, 10:34 PM
What a find :alligator....one more question....how did you find out about this little gem ???

mattyboy
12-20-2011, 06:24 AM
It is amazing when a true Donzi nut puts it in their mind to get a model they love time and space mean nothing 10 years and to be rewarded with a true piece of history very nice work Rob.
One story I am trying to track down and this is an unconfirmed story the 14 baby was dropped from the line up due to an accident and that the boat was dangerous. The story goes on to say that a guy died in one
Some other facts the f14 was made in greater numbers maybe a more balanced boat or maybe fishermen are better drivers. The big thing would be the 18 hull bottom was redesigned around the same time. The barrelback and the 14 share the same bottom design sharp 24 degree full length inner strakes. There are stories about the barrelback being redesigned cause it may roll in tight turns. I don't know til I track all this down but in my mind this story may have some teeth. The chisholms dropped the 16 over a lawsuit so that reaction may be possible. Also think about it Brownie said they gave the molds and unfinished boats to Don when he left so it seems like they didn't want the baby. Who knows I'll keep you posted

Greg Guimond
12-20-2011, 06:35 AM
Rob that is a great post and it is awesome to see you searched for a decade and were rewarded with a truly unique piece of history. A deck off resto is the only way to go for this piece. The story reads like a Norseman descending into the lower 48 for the "pick" of a lifetime!! :canada:

bertsboat
12-20-2011, 07:53 AM
Brownie tells the story of the first Baby 14 launch:
We finished the Baby late on a rainy night. Don was very excited about this little boat. So much so that he wanted us to drop it in the water for a test ride, raining or not. So we dropped it in and started it up and Don headed out the canal heading for Dumfounding bay. He was gone for quite some time and when he got back he was soaking wet.
Because it was raining, Brownie thought nothing that he was soaked to the bone. So Don say's to Brownie " take this thing out there and open it up and jerk the wheel all the way to one side and tell me what you think" So the Brown Houndjumped inand did just that and when he did that little Donzi (he says they called it Peanuts) proceded to roll over and spill his big ass right into the dark water. He made it back to the boat and eventually back to the dock where Don was anxiously waiting for his return.
Don says " what did you think??" Brownie told him what had happened when he pulled the wheel all the way over. "that thing rolled right over and threw me right out" Don's reply was "MEEE TOOOO (ha ha ha)" It was even funnier when Brownie tell it.
The moral of the story, there is a fine line here. The boat is deep and short. I have this thought in my mind when I run mine. I am waiting for this problem to rear its ugly head. At least I know about it. I think I know exactly where it might happen and I am watching out for it. I imagine that if I were in the air and I come down a bit off track that is when the sharp V would bite and throw the hull over but that has yet to happen, and I am avoiding that event.

bertsboat
12-20-2011, 08:02 AM
About the vin numbers. Only the Baby Donzi's that were built at the Cigarette facility were adorned with a VIN number. Mine ending in the number 14 and Scotts ending in the number 13. Before that a VIN was not required so the only numbers would be on the original title or registration, depending on what state your were in. Mine is titled in the state of Florida with the original VIN attached to the boat and to the title. I would be interested to know what is on the title of the "barn find". Please let us know. Very cool find. You must have been very excited when you had it hitched up and knew it was really a done deal. Maybe some day there will be several of these Baby's somewhere at the same time. That would be really cool. I know I will be there too.
Bert

mattyboy
12-20-2011, 10:42 AM
Brownie stories are great

The HIN on pearson's boat has no 3 in it is CRT140011277 this is on the title and the bill of sale from Cig not imprinted on the hull as the hull was built in 67 and dragged around with Don.

which translates into

CRT= Cigarette Racing Team

14= Model

001=hull number one

12= Dec

77= model year

and I think this is a pic of your HIN CRT 140011278 imprinted in the hull from the mold which would indicate to me your boat was built at cig in 78
http://www.donzi.net/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=40240&d=1226266038

roadtrip se
12-20-2011, 10:56 AM
Awesome boat with a lot of history. Congrats on the find and knowing what you are signing up for. I hope to get to see it one day.

silverghost
12-20-2011, 12:18 PM
So it may now appear that this find may really possibly be a Cigarette Baby 14 ?

How many Baby 14s did Don actually build after the molds were taken to his new boat company~~ Cigarette ?

mattyboy
12-20-2011, 01:05 PM
[ QUOTE=$originalposter]silverghost
So it may now appear that this find may really possibly be a Cigarette Baby 14 ?

How many Baby 14s did Don actually build after the molds were taken to his new boat company~~ Cigarette ?

{$pagetext}[/QUOTE]

Brad don't go off on a tangent Rob's 14 is a baby donzi

my response was directed at bertsboat and his post on VIN. so there is no confusion the two HINs and boats I was referring to were Scott Pearson 1977 cigarette 14 and Bertsboat's 1978 cigarette 14. so we are all clear on this is what I am saying :

Pearson's 14 was popped from the mold at the donzi plant in the 60s before the mandatory HIN stamp in the hull was even thought of. it went unsold and was confirmed by a former Cig employee who moved it around the parking lot that it followed Don around for 10 years. then they finally rigged and sold it. bertsboat's 14 was never at the donzi factory and was not around in the 60s. his boat was popped from the mold at the cig factory in 78 from the original molds or from a plug taken off of Pearson's boat .

for any new boat to be sold by a mfg'r after nov of 1972 it needed a valid 12 character HIN mandated by the USCG so when the cig factory sold Pearson's boat to the first owner it is given the HIN of CRT140011277 then in 1978 the factory popped a 14 ( bertsboat) from the mold and cast in the mold the HIN of CRT140011278. I think it should have been CRT140021278 as the second cig 14 hull but really it was the first 14 actually made by cigarette. so this might have just been an oversight and well once it is in the mold it is in the boat so no going back.

Scott Pearson
12-20-2011, 01:10 PM
Robs boat is a very early Donzi. His is the only other that I have seen with the flat split hatch. Richard Weaver has the other flat hatch one in storage.

bertsboat
12-20-2011, 01:14 PM
As far as I am concerned they are all Donzi. When the CRT boats were made Don didn't own Donzi. So they couldn't be labeled Donzi. They are out of the same molds and by the same designer and owner, Don Aronow.
As far as this one being a Cigarette or a Donzi, by the time they were made at Cigarette they were only using Mercruiser engine and drive. The 80HP Mercruiser weas Renault based engines and they had a lower position in the engine compartment. That's why there were no scoop in the engine hatch. The 120 Mercruiser is about 3 inches too high for the original hatch to close so they added the scoop. This is an original 14 Baby Donzi. Possibly even one of the earliest. In the original brochures the hatches were split down the middle. Every other one that has been found and restored have the one piece hatch with a scoop. So, I am thinking this may be number one.

bertsboat
12-20-2011, 01:19 PM
All red

bertsboat
12-20-2011, 01:20 PM
Blue one

bertsboat
12-20-2011, 01:27 PM
Scotts Baby

mattyboy
12-20-2011, 01:31 PM
Bertsboat

they are not all Donzi they are all true Aronow boats that's for sure. yours is one of the truely rare Cigarettes ever made maybe the rarest Cigarette on the planet.

bertsboat
12-20-2011, 01:35 PM
Red with fancy stripes

SamIam
12-20-2011, 01:37 PM
What a Christmas present!!!
Congrats!!!
I also know of a complete running Renault-Mercruiser 60 engine/sterndrive.

bertsboat
12-20-2011, 01:38 PM
This one is for sale by the way.

bertsboat
12-20-2011, 01:44 PM
In the water yellow (for sale)

Rob M
12-20-2011, 08:35 PM
Thanks again for the positive feedback - the boat is really cool and exceeded my expectations of what I was going to find on arrival. Pictures do not really do justice to the lines on the Baby 14, or the Corsican and Hornet for that matter. All look better in person as you see the style in the lines from different angles. These are my favourite models, along with the Criterion II and SS (still on my list along with a Benchseat Hornet).

To answer Bert's questions: I was relieved when this was snugly on the trailer, hitched and heading down the road - it was great to see that red stripe in the rear view mirror as affirmation. It was almost cracked open like an egg when the bucket on the FEL dropped down a foot...but ultimately and luckily no issues as the boat just swayed a little.

It was sad to watch the old gentleman who owned this boat walking away with his head down as we drove off - he did not turn back to look, but I know he was pleased someone was taking a real interest in his boat and will bring it back to life. He is a great guy.

To answer the questions about how I found it...I have spent untold hours trolling web ads for Donzis over the last 14 years - including the original .net (Donzi Registry) back in 97-98 when it was just text postings (reverse type on black). As Matty says, a certified Donzi nut. In the process of online searches I have found my Hornet, and my Corsican (bought sight unseen while I was living in HK - and I was the first to see the posting b/c of the 12 hour time difference). Also saw and passed on Matty's Benchseat when it was first posted on ebay way back in 2006, a cool Corsican on a farm in Montana. Location was an issue for both, so I posted these to others and moved on. I also missed out on the MoPar Benchseat in MD by minutes because I was slow on the draw - I have been kicking myself ever since.

I saw this one back in February posted online (misclassified) and have been corresponding with the previous owner since. We agreed on a price by October and had a gentleman's agreement in place until I got it. Figured out how we would make the trailer swap in the process. Patience paid off this time - and I really appreciate what I have been fortunate to acquire.

biggiefl
12-20-2011, 11:11 PM
Kinda confused...was this always a Mercruiser boat? If so does that make it Donzi or a Cig? Lastly...Bert what is the $$ on the Yellow? Got a friend who may be interested.

mattyboy
12-21-2011, 08:49 AM
[ QUOTE=$originalposter]biggiefl
Kinda confused...was this always a Mercruiser boat? If so does that make it Donzi or a Cig? Lastly
{$pagetext}[/QUOTE]

for the most part the merc combo was most common but they did put one Volvo and one OMC motor in the Donzi Baby 14s. Rob's find is an early Donzi judging by the lack of the hatch scoop.

silverghost
12-21-2011, 05:34 PM
You sure don't see many of those very early cable crank-up Mercruiser outdrives still in use anymore.
I have not actually seen one in the water & actually running in my saltwater South Jersey boating area in many decades.

Rob~
If you intend to keep this Baby 14 all original~~~with the original style Renault/Mercruiser60-80HP engine and early outdrive I would talk to Sam in the post above about the original running engine/drive package that he knows about.
If this engine/drive package is from Sam's Mn. area it most likely was used only in fresh water all it's life.

Your new Baby 14 find if used in Florida & Maryland might have been used in salt water much of it's life~~~
Add the fact that it has not been run in 14+ years and you may have some real engine internal rust & corrosion trouble issues with it.

Rob~ Will you be keeping this original style engine/drive set-up wih your newfound Baby 14 restoration ?
I would~~~If it were mine .
It's sure to be a future collectable "Antique/Classic" boat in the future

mattyboy
12-22-2011, 05:41 AM
Rob
Once you get in there and open your Christmas present. Let me me know if you find the original color and any serial numbers and we can see if we can find the hull number.

scippy
12-22-2011, 09:54 PM
The triple 7 (coke model) is absolutely beautiful!!!.....looks like it's built to race.
Can't really tell, but looks like they removed the rub-rail.......very smooth lines.

Rob M
12-23-2011, 06:18 PM
Hey Matty:

No problem. May get over to it tomorrow to poke around and try to find a serial number on the engine - and may try to get under the deck to look behind the dash and under bow lifting ring area for any sign of a hull number. Pretty cold here right now, and that's also provided I get my x-mas shopping done!

Have a great X-Mas everyone!

Rob

Rob M
12-23-2011, 06:20 PM
Hi Brad:

Keeping everything intact is the plan - but may not be possible if everything is a corroded mess. Time will tell. The complete drive/engine package mentioned is a good back-up plan.

Hope you find a Benchseat Hornet or an 18' berkley jet under your tree!

All the best.

Rob

FlatRacer, aka BarrelBack
12-23-2011, 11:20 PM
Are there any molds lying around anywhere for this hull?

Eric

BUIZILLA
12-24-2011, 06:46 AM
Ed Rivers had a red/white F14 w/120 bought new So Fla 67ish

Greg Guimond
12-24-2011, 07:18 AM
That is a nice list that is being developed for those "babies". Worth putting together the details and tracking down missing owners. Speaking of "Baby" does anyone know how both the 16 OB and the 14 got the name? :confused:

Scott Pearson
12-24-2011, 07:25 AM
Wow...guess people dont read past posts to this thread.

There is another Renault flat hatch boat in storage. How do we know if this boat isnt the boat Aronow was said to have been tossed out of.

On another note....If someone really got thrown from one of these 14 babys back in 66...how the hell where they able to stop the boat???? Was that boat they were driving equiped with a safety lanyard?????? If not then there was no way to have stoped the boat...it would have kept going all by itself. So I guess we really need to be looking for a early Renault boat with a flat hatch with a safety lanyard!

Unless someone else has a better theory or explanation.:confused:

woobs
12-24-2011, 09:03 AM
Maybe a "dead man's" throttle.... Okay, it's a stretch but anythings possible with a prototype.

Buddyc
12-24-2011, 09:40 AM
Good point Woobs! If they didnt have Lanyards back then one would hope they had the forsite to have a remedy for a run away boat.

silverghost
12-24-2011, 09:46 AM
[ QUOTE=$originalposter]{$pagetext}[/QUOTE]

Scott~

You make a very good point here.
When I first heard this Don Aronow "story" I found it very hard to believe myself.
Don was a lifeguard in his younger days & a very good swimmer~
But Don catching that Baby 14 & climbing in ~~~
Really ???

Over the years I have seen two people ejected from boats.
Both boats continued on their own at speed as there was no way to stop them.
One small driverless Boston Whaler ran up on the beach next to the Ocean City /Longport bridge.
Another small driverless outboard crashed into a bulkhead & sunk after smashing it's bow.

12-24-2011, 09:56 AM
You're right, Scott. So we're looking for the "Kill Switch Baby". Sounds like a death metal band. LOL

Eric

Scott Pearson
12-24-2011, 11:11 AM
Yea...we dont all need to be CSI experts to figure what is possible and what is not. Just some stories become taller tales then others...:wink:

roadtrip se
12-24-2011, 12:11 PM
My few interactions with Brownie have always been full of humor and knowledge. He truly is one of a kind and a treasure chest of history.

Whether his Baby story rings a little long or not, I chuckled at it, considering the source. We can only wish that we had experienced what this guy has, and had a chance to interact with Aronow like he did.

I don't really see the point of tearing down the story on a technicality, and frankly, it wasn't really necessary, because most of the people that have the means to own these boats, probably have the ability to decipher the facts of a great story.

Buddyc
12-24-2011, 12:45 PM
Some people don't get it that you can learn more by listening than running thier mouths... Way too many self proclaimed experts! I know not a whole lot about Donzi and thier history and never claimed to. There are a handful of people that are a wealth of usefully knowledge... And I thank them for that!

12-24-2011, 01:23 PM
On the face of it, I've no doubt the story is true. Aronow, as a racer, would have had a kill switch in there as a matter of course, especially while testing an unknown quantity.

Eric

Rob M
12-24-2011, 02:20 PM
No kill switch in mine :cool!:

Matty:

I went by today and looked as far under the deck and dash as possible. No way to climb in there or I will get stuck, and I'm only 5' 9"...So I had to just shine a Q-Beam in there. Nothing around the lift ring area, can't get anywhere close to bow light area, but looked like nothing there.

There is some marker toward the dash area under the deck, but it is under a layer of glass and is indecipherable. Nothing I can find on the back of the dash (just some bee's nests!). Closer examination will have to wait till the deck is off.

The only numbers I could pull were off the block and the foil label for the stern unit near the crank for the stern cable lift (at the back of the engine).

Block said: 2564 95 8 (there were vertical lines where I have left a space and looked too large to be 1's)
Stern tag said: 2640768 (the last number is really hard to read, but I'm pretty sure it is an 8)

As for colour - where the white deck paint has worn there is off white gel coat. So probably was a white deck. Stripe as mentioned is red where it is worn through. Hull sides beneath the paint where chipped is red all the way to the glass. This is the same on the bottom - so colour scheme was white deck with red stripe and all red hull.

As for whether this is the first one or not - who knows - I have a feeling there is no hull number in marker to be found. While it is the same colour scheme as the "brochure" boat, that is a drawing, and the helm in that one is left hand. I think hull #1 is the one pictured in the brochure at allardmarine.com. The one in those B&W photos looks white with stripe and swedish flags, has the 80hp version and flat deck on the stern. Looks like the Skipper from Gilligan's Island owned that one!

Will provide more info as/if I find it.

Rob

Scott Pearson
12-24-2011, 02:35 PM
The 16 prototype didnt have a kill switch...at least non you can see in the pictures. I really dont think a kill switch was something anyone thought about at the time.

Jraysray
12-25-2011, 04:58 AM
http://www.myspace.com/killswitchengage

Totaly useless post here.

Rob M
12-25-2011, 08:15 AM
Scott P: Based on your very good knowledge of these boats from that era, do you think this Baby 14 likely has balsa core in the deck? I can't tell from a quick review. There are a number of saucer-sized and shaped slight depressions in the gel on the deck. Experienced glass guy has told me (without looking at it yet) that this is often caused by thin gel at lay-up and these start to show up after several decades. I can't tell from a quick look. Is there an e-z way to determine this without the deck off?

Spongy or flex areas are definitely the seat and one of the hatches. Stringer soundings in the bilge are not dull - they seem quite healthy considering the age. Any help is appreciated.

Thanks

Rob

mattyboy
12-25-2011, 09:39 AM
Rob,

i was hoping to be able to find your info in our records but that is definitely an early hull. the records for the 14 have some missing pieces. the records really started when teleflex took the reigns the core of them start in 67. If a boat that was built prior to 67 had not sold it stated so on the card as completed before that date and then the date it was invoiced. your baby was sold prior to that date so I believe your boat is among the group of hulls 2,3,4 which have no records. keep us posted Rob

In all of my exposure to the older classics, they never had any lanyards,deadmen switch they didn't even have nuetral safety switches in the early years.

regarding the molds Don was to have taken one mold and an unfinished boat(Pearson's) with him when he left. The other molds were destroyed. A 14 owner when researching his boat spoke to the employee, that cut them up . that employee remembered it very well. It was his first day on the job and his first task given by one of the Chisholms.

Scott Pearson
12-25-2011, 10:57 AM
Rob,
Could be any type of core. Mine has wood and Balsa. I would remove maybe the bow light and have a look. You might see what could be balsa or foam. Or if Donzi didnt core the center you might just see 1/4 glass. Is it raw glass under the deck? If its not painted maybe you will be able to see the Balsa through the glass.

Please keep is posted!

Also to add to Matty's info on the mold being cut up. From what we have been told there was a hull in the mold when it was distroyed also. Shame...

mattyboy
12-25-2011, 11:02 AM
the production numbers posted in the list are wrong for the f14, by Christmas time of 1967 all 14 production was done at Donzi

bertsboat
12-25-2011, 01:18 PM
Just to clarify, my hull was the last to come from the mold. I bought it from the guy that was told to destroy it. It was an unrigged hull, deck and engine hatch right out of the mold from Cigarette. It was right after Don's un timely death Mid 1987. Sold it to a guy that owned it till two years ago when I bought it back, still a hull and deck (unrigged).

mattyboy
12-26-2011, 06:45 AM
1)molds none left, the molds left at Donzi destroyed the mold taken with Don to Cigarette destroyed

2) cigarettes pulled from the mold at cigarette 1 Bertsboats was the first and the last THE only Cigarette 14

3) Donzi baby 14 taken to Cigarette by Don then titled and sold as a cigarette 1 Pearson's 14

4) the brochure boat with judge smails at the wheel is not a merc boat. the artist's rendering drawing looks like a volvo and so does the actual boat in the BW pics

have a few questions

what is the HIN on the nascar 14 cigarette?

where did the production number for f14 come from?

scott5sp1
12-28-2011, 01:14 AM
Send it to Cabo Marine in Woodinville, WA. We will give the boat the proper restoration, at a an affordable price. !!

mattyboy
12-28-2011, 08:21 AM
[ QUOTE=$originalposter]scott5sp1
Send it to Cabo Marine in Woodinville, WA. We will give the boat the proper restoration, at a an affordable price. !!

{$pagetext}[/QUOTE]

Welcome Cabo Marine great first post nice introduction. Please feel free to post up some pics on your donzi restorations. BTW if you are looking to advertise I am sure The Site's owner would be happy to have another sponsor.

Back to the baby

At this point in Donzi history one must take into account the big corp. advertising budget didn't come into town until Teleflex arrived on scene. The Teleflex Chisholm brochure boats like the gt 21 and X 18 are early numbered if not the first hulls. This is not the case for the Aronow boats including the baby,the 16 and hornet the brochure boats for the Aronow era boats were usually down the road a piece in production numbers. The Aronow ads were usually Black and white one page flyers no big need for ads, Don was the best advertising around . The 67 color catalog is definitely the signs of teleflex $$$$$$ and possibly the plug to fill the void of Don's marketing absence.

My point in this ramble the Baby brochure boat in the BW ad is obviously a volvo boat, LH helm white drive( actually looks like an old volvo 100) which means it is not an early boat but almost at the end of the production run

Sweet Cheekz
12-28-2011, 08:31 AM
As a side note, I have come up on a couple of incidents where the driver spun his boat and was thrown out without a lanyard. Both times, I assume because of the tight turn at pretty good speeds, the boat lost some momentum and was circling in a fairly tight turn. Could have been the case here but twice in the same day?
Just additional food for thought.

Parnell

Rob M
01-07-2012, 05:19 PM
...not the best quality (iPod) but I got a chance to clean some of the grime as it was 46 degrees today:

01-07-2012, 08:36 PM
I'm GREEN with jealousy. :yes:
Gotta get me one of these! Congrats on a great find.

Rob M
03-22-2013, 07:40 PM
... so I believe your boat is among the group of hulls 2,3,4 which have no records. keep us posted Rob

Update:

Here are some pictures with the deck off. The only writing found so far was behind the dash. Looks like 14-B-4. So, probably hull #4. It is very hard to decipher the writing because it is under a layer of glass and scrawled on. Not sure if that number has already been assigned to another documented Baby, but it could be correct.

mario
03-22-2013, 08:02 PM
looks sweet glad to see it getting a resto i look at that boat many years back he had it for sale in the paper
down here just could not get with him on good price back then keep up good work

mattyboy
03-22-2013, 08:05 PM
nice progress looks like 4 to me

Rob M
09-04-2013, 08:55 PM
Final Gel...

woobs
09-05-2013, 06:36 AM
Beautiful job. looks brand spankin' and hard to believe that's the same boat!

Rob M
09-05-2013, 11:00 AM
Thanks Woobs. The glass guys did a great job. Won't be in the water until 2014 though.

Rob

silverghost
09-05-2013, 11:29 AM
Rob~~~The newly restored hull & deck look fantastic !

What engine powerplant & outdrive combo are you going to use on your "Baby" ?

Bert~~
Was your long unfinished & un-rigged Baby 14 Cigarette mold boat ever registered & titled prior to you buying & restoring her ?

VetteLT193
09-05-2013, 11:43 AM
There is something about the lines of the 16, 18, 22 that when you restore them they simply look new. This baby looks new, but old, as it should. It's like a freshly restored classic Vette!

Great job. can't wait to see more.

bertsboat
09-05-2013, 10:53 PM
Looks great. Hope to see you in Buffalo this week end.
your boat is really looking good. Love the white and red.

Greg Guimond
09-06-2013, 04:09 AM
You have really preserved a piece of history there. Great to see and looking forward to seeing more!

mario
09-08-2013, 08:15 AM
looks great

Rob M
09-21-2013, 01:42 PM
SG:
Thanks! - Probably the original setup: Renault/Mercruiser 80hp with Merc 0 drive

Vette: Thank you - will post new pics as we progress

Bert - Thanks, can't wait to see them side by side (your red vs. my White/Red) Really enjoyed the slow motion ride in your Baby in BFLO!

Mario - Thank you.

Greg: Thanks. Trying to keep it as close to stock as possible.

bertsboat
09-22-2013, 07:48 AM
Great to meet you in Buffalo Rob.

Rob M
11-12-2013, 08:18 PM
Latest update...

Ghost
11-12-2013, 09:47 PM
Wow!

Conquistador_del_mar
11-12-2013, 10:59 PM
Man, that gelcoat shines like paint!

bertsboat
11-15-2013, 12:06 PM
Rob, you ready for the engines??

Craig S
11-18-2013, 11:21 AM
There is something about the lines of the 16, 18, 22 that when you restore them they simply look new. This baby looks new, but old, as it should. It's like a freshly restored classic Vette!

Great job. can't wait to see more.

Agree...that tumblehome and hull/deck joint are really vintage.
Craig

Conquistador_del_mar
11-18-2013, 01:04 PM
I had to look up that term - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tumblehome

RNELEMS
11-18-2013, 07:21 PM
There is a complete Mercruiser 80 engine and drive complete pkg on Montgomery,Alabama Craigslist for $450 if you need a spare,sorry I don't know how to post a link but I saw it last night

Greg Guimond
11-19-2013, 05:55 AM
Latest update...

Rob that really looks fantastic! I'm curious, did you end up applying gelcoat to the hull interior as well with the exception of the engine bay?

Greg Guimond
11-19-2013, 05:43 PM
Here is the CL ad ............

Rob M
12-04-2013, 08:23 PM
Just catching up on replies to this thread...

Thanks to all for the compliments.

Re: Engine - I have a line on several, but thank you for the CL lead (one really good one, plus a few for parts, plus the original for parts). Bert: Not quite ready yet, and no room to store at the moment.

Greg: the interior tub and footwell and dash are all gel. The hull under the deck and the engine compartment are both painted.

I have all the chrome back and it looks really good, will go on soon.

Rob

Rob M
03-20-2014, 06:52 PM
Hatch fitting and hardware...

Fishermanjm
03-21-2014, 03:34 PM
beautiful boat Rob absolutely the coolest cant wait to see the completed project

Rob M
06-11-2015, 07:55 PM
Near final completion. Went with solid running, freshwater Merc/Renault from a donor boat. Keeps it near original and no need to modify hatches.

Finishing:

Gauge panel (Need original NOS 4cyl Tach) - have NOS dashplate
Interior (June)
Rear Rub rail (Need end 2 custom corner pieces)

Here are some pics...

mario
06-11-2015, 09:02 PM
looks nice

MDonziM
06-11-2015, 10:01 PM
Looks really nice, congrats. Surprising amount of room in front of the motor, not much below the oil pan.

- M

Scott Pearson
06-12-2015, 06:18 AM
Rob,
Its really coming out great! Glad to see this one saved!

Morgan's Cloud
06-12-2015, 06:24 AM
Very nice work . Looks fantastic.
Reading the report of the first test run is going to be fun .

mattyboy
06-12-2015, 06:29 AM
yes very nice , don't see many white 14s

I like it!

woobs
06-12-2015, 09:29 AM
Outstanding!!!

chip w
06-12-2015, 12:12 PM
yes very nice , don't see many white 14s

I like it!

I don't see many 14's at all in any color! Really awesome!

yeller
06-15-2015, 12:28 PM
Very nice! :yes:

RudeBuoy
06-28-2015, 11:57 PM
Looks great! Must see and take me for a spin! call / txt when you guys are up!

Rob M
09-04-2015, 06:27 PM
Runs like a champ!

woobs
09-05-2015, 12:00 AM
Awesome!
I saw her in the shop in Port Carling (Boatworks) when I was in paying for fuel.... Glad you got her wet :)

Morgan's Cloud
09-05-2015, 06:21 AM
Looks incredible !

Scott Pearson
09-05-2015, 06:21 AM
Looks Outstanding!

Greg Guimond
09-05-2015, 07:38 AM
Dang Rob, you have to be very happy with the final results of your 14 :worthy:

Rob M
09-05-2015, 07:57 AM
Woobs/SP/GG/MC,

Thanks guys for the compliments. Very happy with how it turned out and real pleased with the final look of all the colour choices.

It runs very well - even though the Renault is a little bit of a sewing machine - it gets two adults and full tank of gas moving along respectably.

Fortunately the weather forecast is good for this longweekend. Hopefully two more weekends of use and then hibernation. Next weekend is RudeBouy's Muskoka Donzi Cruise and BBQ - I will try to keep up with the big boys (not Craig though). I have a few final issues to sort out - the biggest being finding or casting custom corners for the transom rub rail.

I drove the Hornet right after the Baby - amazing how different they both are, but how solid Donzis are regardless of the model.

Rob

Greg Guimond
09-05-2015, 08:06 AM
Great photo!

Funny how you mention how solid Donzi's are across the models. I thought the exact same thing yesterday when I took my 16 on a long journey of 180 miles. All types of water and solid as a rock for a small hull. :yes:

Rob M
09-05-2015, 08:15 AM
That is a long haul trip! I bet the guys who originally built our boats would be in awe that they are still all in use and running hard. A testament to design and old school build standards. We are fortunate to get to drive them all these decades later.

murfman
09-05-2015, 08:49 AM
Beautiful!

yeller
09-05-2015, 12:46 PM
Congrats on getting it wet! Looks great!

Ed Donnelly
09-06-2015, 02:38 AM
OUTSTANDING....Ed

SamIam
09-06-2015, 11:14 AM
Looks GREAT!

Robbie O
09-18-2015, 07:26 PM
I was lucky enough to run with Rob last weekend!
The Baby 14 was our special guest boat and he ran with the big boys in some very rough conditions. The boat rides great and ran a respectable 35mph on gps.

Great to meet you Rob! I hope I didn't scare you? (I saw that canoe the whole time)

https://scontent-ord1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xfa1/v/t1.0-9/11986384_10204625432307059_6798866659467027509_n.j pg?oh=fb37f009f5fdffd1fc12b7881bcb6b46&oe=56ABAD02

Rob asking me to race!!

https://fbcdn-photos-h-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xpf1/v/t1.0-0/p526x296/10891643_10204610349289993_4214262324145899880_n.j pg?oh=715458ef3920578beb85cfd019e77020&oe=569AD095&__gda__=1452856451_7c6feae0d36d5925410e03d2fcb2e97 6

https://scontent-ord1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xap1/v/t1.0-9/12004706_10207076829412811_2563457083814958932_n.j pg?oh=0fce204bc8bcd4611a89692ed5cc4a02&oe=565F301F

Rob M
09-18-2015, 07:53 PM
Rob

Thanks for posting the pics to the thread - some credible evidence that it actually runs, despite the stalling out at the docks and when coming off throttle on the River. That seems sorted out for now... :crossfing:

It was a great gathering last weekend and I enjoyed riding shotgun in the 18' - solid run in a great boat. I learned some new channel shortcuts through the Venetians - you clearly know those lakes well! What canoe?:shades:

Going up this weekend if you are down the lakes - we can take the Corsican out for a spin.

Rob

Robbie O
09-19-2015, 08:08 AM
If you take me for a ride, my offer still stands!:biggrin.:

Rob M
07-21-2016, 11:28 AM
The Baby 14 won Best of Show: Restored Classic (1943-1975) award at ACBS Toronto Show held in Gravenhurst, Ontario.

Kudo's to Kahshe Boatworks and Boat Works Port Carling for the hull restore and rigging/engine/drive respectively. A team effort.

jl1962
07-21-2016, 12:26 PM
Congrats!
:superman:

Ed Donnelly
07-21-2016, 04:40 PM
Congrats awesome looking trophy. Goes well with the boat .Ed

woobs
07-21-2016, 05:51 PM
Nice award!
I didn't see you come and buy a T-shirt though....

chip w
07-21-2016, 08:06 PM
Wow! Nicely done! Congratulations as you certainly deserve the award. :)

Greg Guimond
07-22-2016, 07:43 AM
The Baby 14 won Best of Show: Restored Classic (1943-1975) award at ACBS Toronto Show held in Gravenhurst, Ontario.

Kudo's to Kahshe Boatworks and Boat Works Port Carling for the hull restore and rigging/engine/drive respectively. A team effort.

Congrats! Great to see you save a rare one.

olredalert
07-22-2016, 08:19 AM
----The little guy is gorgeous! It deserved the trophy......Bill S

f_inscreenname
07-22-2016, 08:54 AM
Great job. Glass rules. :biggrin.:

Conquistador_del_mar
07-22-2016, 12:11 PM
Awesome!

Rob M
09-10-2016, 08:36 AM
Thanks for all the kind words - I was remiss in my reply. I am really pleased with how the boat turned out and performs. Just not enough summer weeks to thoroughly enjoy it.