PDA

View Full Version : "The Ultimate" update...as requested.

Scott Pearson
12-18-2011, 09:42 AM
Some coring done. Deck coring will be enfused with resin this week. Dash and rear deck area finished. One hatch is done and still need to remove wood from rear of seat tub and replace with new wood over entire area.

BUIZILLA
12-18-2011, 10:01 AM
Scott, PM me a mailing addy please

joseph m. hahnl
12-18-2011, 10:19 AM
WOW:eek:. Looks like your making substantial progress.From the last pictures to these you have done a lot of cutting and glassing.:yes:
So, put it into perspective for me . How many Hours do you have in it now?:confused:

Sweet Cheekz
12-18-2011, 10:27 AM
Looking good Scott

Parnell

Morgan's Cloud
12-18-2011, 10:30 AM
I've handled a few foam coring materials before , but not balsa. How large are the raw sheets and is it 'contoured' for facilitating the contact area on non-flat surfaces ? In one of the shots it kind of looks like it is , but it's hard to tell .

And just a thought here ... It's getting a bit helter skelter with multiple threads on this project . Would it have not been a bit more convenient for us lot if they were consolidated into one thread ? (um ju's sayin')

Scott Pearson
12-18-2011, 11:13 AM
Hours....Whats that....:). Sorry we dont even keep count.

The coring is small pieces of balsa with a mesh on the back holding them together. This way you can contour them anyway you like. Also cut them and shape you like.

The reason I dont post them on the same thread is because most people think its just a reply to what was already there and not an update.

pipnit
12-18-2011, 11:27 AM
looking good! :hyper:

woobs
12-18-2011, 01:24 PM
That's just a "freakin' work of art"....
Beautiful.

Rob M
12-18-2011, 06:14 PM
Nice work Scott. Looks top notch.

justleft
12-19-2011, 12:34 PM
Wow, VERY nice !!!!

Cloud - Here is what I used on my Hydrostream some yrs back. I think Baltek has been sold since then.

The balsa is in about 3" sqrs with a gauss like backing. You can cut to size and even bevel the edges to
get a real tight contour.

Morgan's Cloud
12-19-2011, 06:14 PM
At the risk of dating myself, I was there when Airex made it to our shores and was being used to construct a few double ended ketches. Back then the contoured version hadn't been released yet ... prolly years away actually.

I've decored a few rotten balsa assemblies and have seen the multiple squares that all fit together , I've just never handled the fresh raw material.
When we had a new engine hatch (like a door) made for the Magnum it was a balsa cored fabrication and I just can't figure out why it's so damn heavy.
By comparison I used foam core for the St T when I redid all of the floor structure and hatches and they came out very light in comparison.

Scott Pearson
03-05-2012, 10:31 AM
Ok...The deck is infused. Here are a few more pictures.

Morgan's Cloud
03-05-2012, 10:38 AM
Way cool . That looks like a 'home version' of vaccuum bagging ?

Just Say N20
03-05-2012, 10:46 AM
Absolutely phenomenal!

Well on it's way to living up to it's name; The Ultimate.

Are you doing resin infusion in a non-boat manufacturing facility? Watching Tiara go through the learning curve with that process gave me a lot of respect for what it necessary to do it correctly.

Your hull/deck will be as solid as a rock when done.