PDA

View Full Version : Dash

Swath
12-17-2011, 09:44 PM
Has anyone installed one of the small chart plotters such as the Garmin 740S in the dash of a Classic 22?

I'm planning to redo the dash and where I boat (Georgian Bay) rocks and drastically changing water levels can make for some expensive navigational mistakes. Paper charts won't work as some of the bays require precision navigation to avoid the shoals and submerged rock formations. I figure installing the 740S with the 3D navigation will help keep the expensive mistakes to a minimum.

I also was considering changing over to a NMEA2K networked control for the engine. Albatross makes a analog to digital converter that will take all the current engine sensors and map them to the proper digital addresses so that the 740S and Livorsi Vantage View Mater Tach can access the information. Does anyone have experience retrofiting an older motor with this type of upgrade?

zelatore
12-17-2011, 10:36 PM
Not in the dash, and it's a Garmin 545 instead of a 740, but it fits quite nicely in the corner of the windshield on my '01 22 with a small bracket to mount it.

http://i816.photobucket.com/albums/zz85/zelatore/Donzidash011.jpg

I don't think there would be any trouble putting the 740 in the dash if you re-arranged the gauges. The only thing I would worry about is the viewing angle and keeping it close to the driver so you can see and reach it easily. I do think you're on the right track wanting the bigger screen - I always recomend to my clients to go with the biggest screen they can as when you're actually out on the boat bigger is better.