PDA

View Full Version : Sad to see her go

Sweet Cheekz
12-13-2011, 06:50 PM
Well I sold another Magnum today. Got a reasonable offer out of the blue on my 72 that I bought in Long Island 2 years ago and she headed out of the country today to a new owner. He has great plans and she will get done long before I would have ever got to her. Leaves me with Plum Crazy. I do plan on finishing her but need to finish my Chris Craft project first which has turned into a bigger deal than I had planned, who would have thought that.

Sad to see it leave69171

Parnell

silverghost
12-13-2011, 07:01 PM
Parnell~
What Chris~Craft project hull are you also working on ?
I may have missed your thread & posts on that project.
Any photos ?

Like You~~~
I have many more projects ~~~than I have time.
Boats, Classic & Brass-Era cars, Houses, 1930s, 40s, 50s Jukeboxes, Coin-Pianos, Orchestrions , etc.
The list seems endless~~~

Whith the great high-quality restoration work you have done on projects posted here in the past I know this Magnum restoration project would have been Super .
Let's hope the boat's new owner will do this Magnum project justice.

We can't restore all the great old classic boats we find ~~~I guess ?

BUIZILLA
12-13-2011, 08:02 PM
Parnell has become quite the Commander :pimp:

Sweet Cheekz
12-13-2011, 08:11 PM
SG Got involved last fall in a 1969 CC Commander 35 Flybridge.
When I make some more progress I will make a thread cause it is quit different than redoing Donzis Lot more square footage to work on. Progress seems slower but in fact I am full blown into now
New power
New wiring
generator
Paint
Trim
Interior
Gauges
Tanks
Blah Blah Blah

Parnell69172

OFFSHORE GINGER
12-13-2011, 08:41 PM
Parn , i bet ......................... you really were sad to see her go ...and just curious what country is the ole girl going to..............................

Sweet Cheekz
12-13-2011, 09:44 PM
toronto Cananda

silverghost
12-13-2011, 10:04 PM
Parnell~

Those old Chris~Craft Commanders are great boats.
Super family cruising & offshore fishing boats.
There seems to be a regular "cult following" for these Chris~Craft Commander boats now.
Similar to the "cult following" of the great old 70s Bertram 31 .

In Ocean City NJ there was an older Dr. a few doors ,& boatslips, from our summer home who owned that exact model & size boat since buying her new.
His had twin BBChevy FWC 454s with Borg-Warner Velvet Drives.
His flying bridge was totally enclosed in blue canvas with roll-down plastic sides & rear. with a rear aft deck cockpit camper style enclosure.
Also the boat had two zone central marine AC.
When he passed-away three years ago his family got crazy high money $$$ for that great old boat when they sold her.
The boat went to the New England area.

Good Luck with her re-fit & restoration !
Please start a new thread here on your progress.

scippy
12-13-2011, 11:29 PM
Hey P,

I'm sure you already have, but did you tell the new owner to keep us all posted on the "Maggies" restoration?
The ChriCraft looks to be a very comfortable cruiser....something the whole family can enjoy........Good luck!
Now you'll be able to tie off all the smaller craft to the "Mother ship" and retire to the rear deck for a few cocktails.

Sweet Cheekz
12-14-2011, 07:14 AM
Thanks Brad
They do seem to be really well built from all I am finding.
Mine has 300hp 427 ford motors which I am rebuilding and it gets up and goes for an old turd.
I will start one after christmas

Scippy. I did tell him of his online resource here on d net. Hopefully he will post eventually.

Happy holidays to you and your family

Parnell

MDonziM
12-14-2011, 07:52 AM
Hey Parnell,

Curious if you got any history on this Mag when you bought her. I remember it was about the time when I drove to Toronto to buy mine and soon after you drove to LI and back, I guess LI and Toronto are even now. Too bad, I would have loved to have seen your work on her but like you said, hopefully she will get a good redo.

- Marshall

zelatore
12-14-2011, 10:54 AM
The Mag was nice and all, but I'll be watching and waiting for more info on the Chris. I'm more familer with that sort of thing than the Mag - don't think I've even seen one of those in person while woodies like the Chris are popular and common out here in the CA delta.

(not to mention that my grandfather was a CC dealer around that same time)

Sweet Cheekz
12-14-2011, 12:14 PM
Hey Marshall
The new guy is planning on a complete redo that will take a couple of years He has a few other boats and has done a nice job I expect a real nice piece when he is done. I bought it from the son of the owner of Sea Tow who had owned it for quit a few years and had never done anything to it. Other than that I have no history. It was an orange boat to start and it was a 72.

Z I am working furiously on my CC so I will start a thread soon with the destruction side of my redo.
BTW Mine is glass

Parnell

zelatore
12-14-2011, 02:32 PM
>Z I am working furiously on my CC so I will start a thread soon with the destruction side of my redo.
BTW Mine is glass

Oops - read '69 and assumed it was wood. Should have looked closer at the pic!

A few years ago I had an urge to do a project along those lines. Sort of a 'resto-mod'. The old Chris's can be had pretty reasonable if you're willing to put in some hours.

Those Fords probably sound great, but I have to think a couple of 6LP Yanmars would make a sweet package too...

smidgen too
12-14-2011, 02:53 PM
For once a Canadian with a real Mag sport, :yes: lately others on OSO thought they had one, not..:nilly:

Sweet Cheekz
12-14-2011, 03:27 PM
SG They do sound quite robust Very fun when I get into them and even better when they are all redone. Dynoed one after I pulled it out and it made 278 hp after 42 years Pretty good I say.
I looked at diesels with Buizilla's recomendation but I'm way ahead to redo these, sell the boat and buy a diesel boat as apposed to investing all that cash in this boat. Plus the old CC fans like these 427's a bunch and when I have everything gone thru they should last way past my ownership of the boat.

Smidge
Toronto guy has cool plans and has already done a few other nice boats so I think we shall see something sweet in a couple of years!

Parnell

Conquistador_del_mar
12-14-2011, 06:41 PM
Parnell,
I need to do the same thing and sell some of my boats, but I don't seem to get around to advertising them - lol. Bill

OFFSHORE GINGER
12-14-2011, 07:14 PM
Bill , just curious ................what project boats do you have for sale and if so........... are they 22 FT , or less ...........

Sweet Cheekz
12-14-2011, 07:23 PM
Bill

I wasnt going to sell either one. You collect enough of the same boat and people hear about the stupidity and offer to help.

Parnell :boggled:

BUIZILLA
12-14-2011, 07:42 PM
Parn.....
. 4.250 x 4.250 = 482
. :)

OFFSHORE GINGER
12-15-2011, 07:55 AM
Parn ,no need to throw yourself under the bus ...........just because you like Mag Sports , and besides that..... how is everything else going .............:wink:

Sweet Cheekz
12-15-2011, 08:09 AM
Going good Artie
How about you?

Conquistador_del_mar
12-15-2011, 12:25 PM
Artie,
I won't have anything under 22' for sale. Bill

dammmagnum
12-15-2011, 06:04 PM
[ QUOTE=$originalposter]{$pagetext}[/QUOTE]

Hello Parnell

i was the one that told Rick that you had a project Magnum sport, but I was thinking about the second Sport you picked up in NJ after you picked up my old "Plum Crazy" Sport
You had more Sports then even i knew about.

great going on the CC.

Thank you
Jim

Sweet Cheekz
12-16-2011, 06:59 AM
Hi Jim
Thanks
I saw your post on oso and I was not planning on selling this one but we worked a deal out. My plans were to do Plum Crazy first and along with my cruiser I was years away from completeing it so I decided it was a good time and a good guy to let it go to. The other sport is in the hands of my mechanic who has already started the rest of the tearing apart and has lots of plans.
Plum Crazy is on the back burner now for a couple of years till I am totally done with my cruiser but someday she will be a slightly different version of your pc but good nontheless.

Parnell