PDA

View Full Version : Carb Replacement

Swath
12-11-2011, 04:20 PM
Near the end of the past season I purchased a 1990 Classic 22 (my first Donzi) with a custom built 460. I only had one quick weekend with it in the water but it was enough to know that 3 years of storage was not kind to the carb. I pulled it off on Saturday and it's certainly showing a lot of black in the venturis.

It's a Holley 650 DP. model 4237. Before I have it rebuilt I was thinking it might be worth looking to other, perhaps better options.

I've done a bunch of research and I'm thinking a Barry Grant Mighty Demon 750 CFM with Annular Boost looks like a great option.

The intake is an Edlebrock Performer RPM. I do have some additional information on the internals of the motor but I was told it's about 500HP and there were receipts that certainly back that claim up in $$$ spent!

Any thoughts are appreciated. Don't have the time or desire to experiment so I figured I'd seek out some advice.

BUIZILLA
12-11-2011, 05:08 PM
1) a 650 is too small, ya needs a 750 at minimum

2) Barry Grant closed it's doors.... BUT, there are new ones on ebay for good deals and you need one of the BG line kits as well... I bought a BG 750 for my 454 and have been VERY happy with it, haven't touched it at all in 4 years

silverghost
12-11-2011, 05:25 PM
You might also want to consider the Edelbrock Performer which is a modern version of the Carter AFB/AVS made by Webber.
I have the electric automatic choke marine version and I love it.
It has given me NO problems.
It is also easily tunable ; and has no rubber parts at all in it to go bad and start leaking from season to season.

Swath
12-14-2011, 07:30 AM
Just wondering how important it is to have a choke? My old carb did not have one but being in Canada I'm thinking it might be a good addition, especially on a cold morning.

silverghost
12-14-2011, 11:33 AM
If I lived where you do I would always have a performance carb with an automatic choke.

And Why Not ?

There are a number of fine marine performance carbs out there on the market with electric automatic chokes.

In the early spring & late fall in New Jersey , & Pennsylvania , on cold days I find an automatic choke is really necessary for easy no fuss engine starting.

joseph m. hahnl
12-17-2011, 07:01 AM
In the early spring & late fall in New Jersey , & Pennsylvania , on cold days I find an automatic choke is really necessary for easy no fuss engine starting.

+1

I have a choke stove on my Webber, and it doesn't work all that well. Especially in the late fall and early spring. Automatic electric choke is a must:yes:

Swath
12-17-2011, 10:43 AM
Decided on a 750 cfm Barry Grant Speed Demon carb with the electric choke and the annular boosters.

The electric choke makes sense.

I know Barry Grant went belly up not too long ago but I found out the assets were bought (by Holley I think) and from what I read, they will be relaunched shortly so the support should still be in place.