PDA

View Full Version : LAKES & BAYS!

MOP
09-28-2002, 06:42 PM
Just got off the phone with a Bud that lost his lower to the rocks in a lake in Penn. Says there were no markings!

I have found this to be my experiance too when boating in lakes and up on the St. Larwrence.

Why is it the fresh water police or CG don't mark the waterways better. Any input? Maybe a letter writing campaign is in order. Heck I would and I know you would like a safer play ground!

Tony
09-28-2002, 07:19 PM
Does insurance cover whacking the rocks, or whacking a log?

Rodger
09-28-2002, 07:59 PM
Yes, I believe most insurance policies do cover damage from underwater obstructions.

Bryan Tuvell 33ZX
09-28-2002, 09:47 PM
I know our insurance covers underwater object strikes, quite common actually.

As far as the markings on a lake, I would say $$$ is the reason they are not marked as well as the bay.
Bryan

Formula Jr
09-28-2002, 10:29 PM
There's these thingys called "Charts" or something like that. Most of them can tell you what the mean lowtide depth is or if there are stacks/shoals in the area. There's big ones (Charts), that show you all available data for a local area, and then there's overview ones (Chart indexes) that give a general idea of the area but are perfectly useful for channel navigation. If you slam in to the ground, its your own fault as I see it - in navigable waters, but if you hit an object that is transient or unknowable to a reasonablely skilled pilot, then insure should pay. Boat insure is a funny realm. It is abused often.
The topology of inland lakes is another story. Since they are not considered part of the Coast Guard's responsibility, it's up to the individual to find local knowledge or go to USGS maps or any bathscape you can find. While up in BC running The Gulf, the Navigatable waters are clearly marked. If I'd hit something in the Channel, it would have been insure's penny. But we explored several areas with no official channels, in these areas, a shoal/rock hit would be my dime.

RH
09-29-2002, 10:13 AM
The main excuse is always about $. We had a rock in the channel at our favorite lake that was named million dollar rock until enough people complained about it. The DNR finally hauled it out, much to the dismay of the local marinas!
RH

boxy
09-30-2002, 10:38 AM
M.O.P. :D :D I spent a couple of weekends working with a boating asscoiation in the 1000 Islands a few years ago. We were trying to mark more shoals, it was pretty easy work - throw on a dry-suit, over weight yourself, and then have your buddy strap your legs to a couple of hundred pounds of steel, after that all you have to do is drill an anchor bolt into solid granite 30 feet below the surface, (because the current will carry the buoy away from the shoal if you mark it directly) - piece of cake. :D :D
The boating association does try to mark as many as possible every season, but as FJr there is no substitute for charts, or local knowledge.