PDA

View Full Version : Question/ Opinion about controls , shifters etc

jeffdds
12-05-2011, 07:09 PM
Hi guys , Ive been fixing up the interior on my 1986 minx since the boating season ended here in NJ . Some of you know the boat , I bought it from Joe ( Margo is his forum ID) . Im having the seats redone at a local custom upholsterer and I added a second set of speakers and an antenna to the stereo , courtesy lights under the dash etc, and some other cosmetic freshening up . My question is this ... Im considering changing the shifter that came with the boat . Its a single lever top mount with trim switch . I have a 350 with and alpha one . Im looking on the internet and Im very confused . Some say outboard only, some are made by other brands ( yamaha , johnson, etc) ... Are these things engine or drive specific or are they generally interchangeable as long as they are made for stern drives and not outboards . Is there any brand or kind that I should stay away from ? I like the kind with the separate levers for shift and throttle ,but Ive never tried them, any opinions on that type ? Thanks in advance , any advice, opinions , stories etc are always greatly appreciated . Happy Holidays . Jeff P.S. I ve been taking pictures and I will post them when the boat is done and detailed

PMZONER
12-06-2011, 01:53 PM
http://www.donzi.net/forums/showthread.php?66435-OK-GENT-s-Let-s-talk-replacement-throttle-controls

jeffdds
12-06-2011, 08:04 PM
Thanks PM, I read that thread and there was another one that "threaded" off of it that I read too . Differing opinions dont surprise , Im a beginner , and Im leaning towards the single stick since that is the only thing I know in boating so far . Im curious, and maybe it was in there and I missed it , but which way did you go on your boat PM ? thanks again, it was great reading , Jeff

biggiefl
12-07-2011, 02:53 PM
Dual sticks are neat and functional but a tad more difficult when docking. I also know 2 people(with Bravos) that granaded their drives while warming up the engine. Bravos shift silky smooth compared to an alpha and while doing the macho rev thing it just engaged into drive and kaboom. I like both and have a dual stick on my 13' Whaler but I feel more comfortable with a single.

Yes many controls are engine specific but many are also universal. Morse and Livorsi make good controls at good prices. The Livorsi single is not their own(rebagded) and so a tad pricey.