PDA

View Full Version : Purchased a new custom trailer for my 22 Classic

firstoffshore
12-04-2011, 12:57 PM
2012 Loadmaster 240T315CB 6" channel, aluminum wheels, spare tire, stainless hardware, LED lights and custom paint. Picked it up yesterday at the factory in Port Clinton, Ohio and it was a perfect fit. Gary and team were GREAT to work with on the project. I highly recommend Loadmaster.

Carl C
12-04-2011, 01:01 PM
Do the bunks extend past the transom? I had to modify my trailer to bring the boat forward. Yours looks close.

firstoffshore
12-04-2011, 01:08 PM
Bunks are right to the end of the transom. The guys used the lifting rings to pick up my boat in the factory and adjust everything perfectly. They spend about an hour and a half on the set-up including leveling everything and locking it in place. I was very impressed with their quality and attention to detail.

firstoffshore
12-04-2011, 02:06 PM

Here is another custom trailer that Loadmaster built for a 1987 Donzi 22 Classic. This gives you a better view of the crossmember and bunk configuration. They shared these pictures with me before my purchase.

Carl C
12-04-2011, 02:36 PM
Looks nice. The whole rig looks nice! My tongue weight is on the high end so my spare rides in the back of the truck.

Greg Guimond
12-04-2011, 02:40 PM
Very nice, is that painted steel ?

firstoffshore
12-04-2011, 02:45 PM
Yes...steel painted with PPG Dark Donzi Blue (freshwater only).

Greg Guimond
12-04-2011, 03:28 PM
I wonder if they work with welded aluminum as well. Nice looking set up.

firstoffshore
12-04-2011, 03:44 PM
They do custom welded, hot-dip galvanized for salt water applications...

http://www.loadmastertrailerco.com/

boatman2089
12-04-2011, 07:44 PM
the pictures of the black trailer that you used to compare to is my trailer. we are having the same problem with our trailer where the bunks are 2-3 inches behind the transom. any ideas? ive tried loading the boat onto the trailer where the bunks and transom are even to no success (sounds easier than it is)

firstoffshore
12-04-2011, 08:11 PM
boatman,

What a small world...they sent me the pictures of your trailer before I purchased mine. Since we are now in the offseason, I have not had the chance to launch and reload the boat. However, I have experienced the problem that you have described on other boat trailers that I have owned. In each case, I simply loosened the bolts on the winch stand and slid the entire assembly back a few inches. Since the bow eye must line up directly under the roller, it normally acts as a stop for the perfect spacing. Have you tried adjusting the winch stand when the boat is off the trailer? This will normally correct the problem, but it may take a few times to get it right.

boatman2089
12-04-2011, 08:31 PM
funny you mention the winch on the trailer. when we picked up the trailer from loadmaster the winch was not on the trailer, they gave it to us separately (the pics you have of my trailer are the ones taken the day we picked it up) and told us that we had to install it ourselves (we did not have them fit the trailer to the boat for us). your trailer seems to be longer then ours, our winch (as it sits now) is straddling the point where the sides of the trailer meet in the front, where yours is completely on the one side. i have attached 2 photos, they both show how the boat would sit if we didnt straddle the front 'v' right behind the hitch

boatman2089
12-04-2011, 08:44 PM
this photo shows you exactly what im talking about. the boat is sitting on the trailer to far back when i had the winch is mounted with both posts on the one side of the trailer, with the winch straddling the 'v' i am able to bring the boat forward

firstoffshore
12-04-2011, 08:53 PM
Sorry...I thought that you meant the bunks extended beyond the transom. After looking at your pictures, I would suggest that you discuss this with Gary from Loadmaster and see if they can adjust or provide a bow stop with a slightly different angle so that your boat can come forward a few more inches. One of the things that I have noticed about the 22C is that the bow hook is further forward than most performance boats. Have you discussed your initial set-up with Loadmaster?

boatman2089
12-04-2011, 08:57 PM
we were in contact with loadmaster the day after the boat went onto the trailer for the first time, they were the ones who told us that it was ok to straddle the v where the sides meet. we found a pic on the interwebs of a 22c on a loadmaster trailer that is set up with the winch straddling the v. i guess i just need to lift the boat and set it up properly instead of trying to do it at the ramp.

thanks for the input,
boatman

RickSE
12-05-2011, 01:56 PM
I like the long inner bunks that seem to be welded to the frame but not the bolt-on outter bunks. Why don't they weld the outter bunks, just don't have the bottom design from Donzi?

firstoffshore
12-05-2011, 02:11 PM
RickSE,

Everything on the trailer is welded except the winch stand and the outer bunks. They know the bottom design because the spacing was perfect before I arrived. One reason might be flexibility. In the event that an owner sells the custom trailer, it could easily be set-up or adapted for a different boat. Good question...

biggiefl
12-05-2011, 02:44 PM
I have used Loadmaster in Tampa twice for a custom aluminum trailer for my Whalers...great people and product. http://www.loadmastertrailer.com/

The trailer I got with my 22c is a 2004 Sport Trail that says on the tag "custom for Donzi 22 Classic" The outer bunks are on the outside chines, not inside like yours. My bunks end about 6-8" before the transom, my winch stand can not be moved forward anymore. The majority of weight is on the keel, the outer bunks are for stability. You do not have to worry about a hook because they don't extend all the way aft as they are not load bearing. If the outside bunks were load bearing they would be upright and inside more like yours, not horizontal. They would also be more like 4x12's, not 2x6's. 3400lbs on those outside bunks and they would snap like a toothpick. Hope that eases your mind some.

firstoffshore
12-05-2011, 07:36 PM

A view from the stern...