PDA

View Full Version : The Tribute Cigarette

Conquistador_del_mar
12-02-2011, 06:56 PM
I am mildly thinking about buying this boat. The seller told me it only runs about 95MPH when I was guessing well over 100. What do you think about it? Bill

http://www.offshoreonly.com/classifieds/1982_cigarette_27_tribute-o42840-en.html

Buddyc
12-02-2011, 07:02 PM
Beautiful Boat. They did a real nice job with the resto.

Marlin275
12-02-2011, 07:26 PM
Best colors for a Cigarette
Looks to have all the right details
Great shape . . .

tear the waves apart with that one

BUIZILLA
12-02-2011, 08:03 PM
lotta bait..

scippy
12-02-2011, 09:29 PM
Bill that's pretty high price...........don't you think?
I still think the 540 bulldog in the Magnum would've
been something special............but it's gone right?

mattyboy
12-02-2011, 09:34 PM
sqaudron xii ?

Conquistador_del_mar
12-02-2011, 10:21 PM
"Bill that's pretty high price...........don't you think?
I still think the 540 bulldog in the Magnum would've
been something special............but it's gone right?

-------------------------------------------------

Scippy,
It was going to be a 632CID/800HP, but I dropped the whole project. Engine was sold, but I still have the boat. A buyer for the Magnum got slammed in the stock market from what he told me.
Yes, it is fairly pricey but it has lots of top notch parts and restoration and trailer. I was figuring on offering a little less, but I am not positive I really want to persue it. I can say I am intrigued with it!! Bill

Conquistador_del_mar
12-02-2011, 10:23 PM
"sqaudron xii ?"

--------------------

That is what I also believe it to be, but I am not an expert in that hull and year. Bill

Dave911
12-02-2011, 10:28 PM
Would be fun, but u could get a nice Top Gun for that money...
http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/266608-2002-38-top-gun-ts-pier57.html

Conquistador_del_mar
12-02-2011, 11:56 PM
"Would be fun, but u could get a nice Top Gun for that money...
http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/g...ts-pier57.html (http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/266608-2002-38-top-gun-ts-pier57.html)

------------------------------------------

Dave911,
You must not have read the rest of the thread where the actual price is around $140,000 on that boat. I really like the old school look and modern restoration done on "The Tribute" Cigarette. It is not a comparison thing to me since I have not seen any boat quite like it - I think it is awesome! It would be my dream to build up a boat like it, but I know it would cost a lot more to build than Jeff's asking price. Bill

Ghost
12-03-2011, 07:32 AM
Great looking boat. Probably the best color scheme ever for a Cig. I actually pondered trying to buy that one two years ago or so. (Was it the same seller? I seem to recall it being in NY maybe?) I'll be excited for you if you decide to do it.

mattyboy
12-03-2011, 08:14 AM
Bill,

i guess what i need to get cleared up in my mind is this is not really a cig born boat.

the 27 squadron xii was first built in 1980 and was a stand alone Aronow owned company( started after he sold cig in 78) then sometime in 81 Don bought back cig( supposedly a deal that he could not pass up) and merged the two companies

wonder what the hin mic is? regardless it is a great looking boat and serves it's name very well. a very nice tribute. I mean the original cig wasn't a cig at all so i think this is very fitting ;)

MDonziM
12-03-2011, 08:38 AM
Hey Bill,

That's an exciting boat. I agree with Matty, I guess its a Squadron 12 if its an 82', I don't know how similar that hull was to the Mag/Cig 27-28s. Too bad the history isn't better documented... That engine/ drive package is top notch.

Keep us posted

- Marshall

MDonziM
12-03-2011, 08:44 AM
it reminds me of one of my favorite mag sport pictures.

Carl C
12-03-2011, 08:59 AM
My only concern is that it is a 30 year old boat and "restoration" has to be taken with a grain of salt. It is a beauty but be careful.

mattyboy
12-03-2011, 09:58 AM
Marshall,
hard to tell from that shot but I thought the mag 27 is a sharp keel with a full length inner strakes. from what i have seen in pics the 27 squadron looks to be a sharp keel but is has a very short inner strake it also has the beveled character line in the hull side that the cigs became famous for.

Carl, I wouldn't even give the age of this boat a second thought the older boats especially cigs are built like tanks and they knew where to put the stringers. funny on page 126 of KOTBR the squadron 27 is there a page later Michael tells the story of a customer taking a tour of the cig plant in 82 . the mgr giving the tour states that they have never had a warranty issue with their huls and never lost a hull to failure. he goes on to say 1200 hulls over 10 years.

Donzi Vol
12-03-2011, 12:00 PM
Good looking boat! I approve.

Ghost
12-03-2011, 12:29 PM
Wasn't the whole Squadron 12 vs Cigarette vs Cigarette/Squadron12 all something of a copyright/legal naming issue, more than a difference in who the real makers and designers were? I thought I read that story somewhere. Figure somebody here will know.

Conquistador_del_mar
12-03-2011, 12:51 PM
Here is a little more information on The Tribute. One of the guys provides a video link where it ran in a Long Island race. Bill

http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/cigarette/262767-anyone-know-where-27-tribute.html

Donzi Vol
12-03-2011, 01:57 PM
After watching the video, I think you should definitely go after this one if possible. Awesome history and a great resto on the boat.

rsg69cpa
12-03-2011, 02:52 PM
Bill,
Hard to pass on this legend. Best of luck!

smidgen too
12-03-2011, 03:52 PM
Bill I hope that the restoration is better than the Mcmanus job on the POWDER KEG Magnum. I thought that Mag was perfect, I was sure wrong on that one. :( After seeing what that new Magnum owner has gone through. I would check this one over very good.
Mark

MDonziM
12-03-2011, 03:59 PM
Matty - the mag sport and starfire are sharp v keel and the inner strake does end about 8ft or so from the transom.

Bill - I know the guys at Falcon, if you are really thinking of buying it I can ask about the boat. He does nice work from what I have seen and really likes those Zul engines. You can pm me if you want to pursue it.

- Marshall

MDonziM
12-03-2011, 04:16 PM
shows the strakes pretty well.

BUIZILLA
12-03-2011, 06:58 PM
what was wrong with POWDER KEG? that boat was for sale for a longgggg time

Conquistador_del_mar
12-03-2011, 11:09 PM
I want to thank all of you guys who commented on The Tribute - both any positive or possible negative angles. After giving it some more thought, I realize that I really like boats that I can drive while standing and that my wife and our dog can also enjoy in comfort like the Martini that I already have with a cabin, head, functional sunpad and more freeboard (can you tell that I love the Martini?). If I were a little younger and single this boat would be my main ride, but things have changed over the years so I have decided to let this one pass - :garfield:. However, I think someone will be getting a heck of a boat if they buy this Tribute Cigarette! I hope one of you guys decides to pull the trigger on it. A couple last eye candy pictures. Thanks, Bill

smidgen too
12-03-2011, 11:19 PM
Powder Keg turned out to needing a total restoration. I was headed to Florida last June to buy it or the other sport in Fortlauderdale. I'm lucky I bought the Lauderdale sport. You can read all about it on oso from hotrod62 who bought it. . http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/magnum-marine/262604-magnum-sport-restoration-begins.html

smidgen too
12-03-2011, 11:22 PM
[ QUOTE=$originalposter]{$pagetext}[/QUOTE]
Bill we cant buy them all, even though somtimes we try. :yes: It is a cool boat.
Mark

tamburello
12-04-2011, 12:36 AM
Bill did you take a look in person at the tribute Cig? Any flaws with it? Looks like a cool boat. Any more pics?

- Jeff

Conquistador_del_mar
12-04-2011, 12:54 AM
Bill we cant buy them all, even though somtimes we try. :yes: It is a cool boat.
Mark

------------------------------------------------------

Mark,
So true. As much as I really like The Tribute, I can not justify buying it when I know it really does not fit our needs. Heck, I already need to sell some other boats anyway instead of buying another one. Bill

Conquistador_del_mar
12-04-2011, 12:55 AM
Bill did you take a look in person at the tribute Cig? Any flaws with it? Looks like a cool boat. Any more pics?

- Jeff

----------------------------------------

Jeff,
No, I did not see it in person. Those last 2 pictures were sent by the seller along with some of the other ones in the ad. Bill

mattyboy
12-04-2011, 07:39 AM
Marshall,

yes i was wrong about the inner strake, the bottoms seem very similar. usually the short inner strake is a sign of a Walters design wonder if Walt was still working with Don in 1980?

there are two pics of a 27 squadron in KOTBR one a black and white pic of a totally air borne white boat which shows the bottom and the character line, then there is a color pic of a red and blue boat with Don at the controls it is on plane but the bottom can't be seen and with the color scheme it is hard to tell if the character line is there. the red and blue boat looks likes a stretched 20 that is an awesome boat i would love to find.

hey it's Christmas time one can wish can't they :)

Morgan's Cloud
12-04-2011, 09:37 AM
Without getting a ruler out over the location or length of the strakes , I always recognized an unbadged Squadron by its much fatter strakes ..especially the full length one.

(sorry , if I had not been able to log on for 3 days I would have read this thread earlier )

Conquistador_del_mar
12-04-2011, 11:30 PM
If anyone is interested, the seller told me he would go as low as $58K on The Tribute. Bill