PDA

View Full Version : Suggestion for mounting windshield...Nova 24

Craig S
12-01-2011, 08:26 AM
We've got the windshield assembly welded, filled, sanded, etched, primed, and Awlgripped. Basically, its made of hollow back aluminum extrusions.

Don't remember how it was mounted originally. Any suggestions from y'all to mount/bed the windshield frame to the deck?

Thanks,
Craig

Morgan's Cloud
12-01-2011, 10:23 AM
It would appear that in your case , there's a channel that is formed by the frame design on the bottom that would use T bolts (I think they're called) .

I also like to find a weather strip type of tape , at least the width of the frame, to act as cushioned bedding .

Mounting a windscreen from scratch while not impossible , does take a few extra pairs of hands and a TON of patience. Be prepared to test , fit and remove many times before it actually gets bolted down.

It's a job I hate.. And it takes a lot of care to not mar the new finish while you're at it.

Craig S
12-01-2011, 11:13 AM
Yep, we're using the t bolts, its the weatherstripping I'm unsure about.
Thanks,
Craig

f_inscreenname
12-01-2011, 11:25 AM
Just did a Monza a couple weeks ago. Same windshield but smaller. White weather stripping from home depot and if you need bolts and cant find them, toilet bolt work perfect and they are brass or stainless steel. If they can survive holding a toilet down for 20/30/40 years in that environment they will work for a windshield.

Craig S
12-01-2011, 11:35 AM
Great point about the toilet bolts!

and thanks...gives me something go look at. Was a little woried about the uv resistance.
Craig

Morgan's Cloud
12-01-2011, 02:47 PM
If they can survive holding a toilet down for 20/30/40 years in that environment they will work for a windshield

I just know there's a message in there somewhere .... :biggrin.:

As for the padded tape/weather stripping .. If you can find one ,try to go with the highest quality , more neoprene type. Selection can be very limited but try to avoid ones that are more 'sponge like' in their makeup so they resist mopping up water and holding it under the frame.

silverghost
12-01-2011, 04:47 PM
Any good glass/glazing shop will have black butal rubber & cork glazing tape in various wide widths.
Some tape has adhesive on one side to keep it in place while positioning the glazing units.
Buy yourself a small roll , or by the foot.
This "tape" is designed for outdoor window units with constant sun / weather exposure without it breaking down over time.
It also does not absorb water.

f_inscreenname
12-01-2011, 05:10 PM
If they can survive holding a toilet down for 20/30/40 years in that environment they will work for a windshield

I just know there's a message in there somewhere .... :biggrin.:

Flooring installer for 20 years. It would shock people when after doing a bathroom (after pulling and reinstalling the toilet) when I would tell them to keep an eye on the toilet for the next few days. With a puzzled look on their face I would say, it has sat in the same spot for 20/30/50 years. It has now been picked up, moved, shuffled around and put back in place after not moving for all those years. It would then dawn on them.

But never saw one break the bolts no matter how long it sat there.

Sorry Craig, now back to you project.

Craig S
12-02-2011, 11:05 AM
Thanks all! Stopped by Binswanger (sp?) glass yesterday. Didn't have any type of gasket/weatherstipping, but did have the glass - for when the time comes (Solex) - and gave me a couple choices they had for the moulding around the glass.

they also gave me a number for a gasket company here in Houston...I'll stop by next week. Would like to get some type of neoprene with adhesive on one side...3/4" wide with good uv resistance. Or that is the plan today...
Craig

Morgan's Cloud
12-02-2011, 05:51 PM
Whatever foam you end up using try to go with a width wider than the footprint of the windscreen frame. When you've got it on and bolted down you'll understand why !

As for fitting the glass , the company that did the new windscreen (and the replacement one ) for the Magnum bonded the glass to the frame and then finished it with a moulding. After the original new one had its close encounter in Hurricane Fabian and the glass on the port frame should have been obliterated (even the frame was bent but the glass didn't even budge or crack) I'll not worry about a panel dropping out unexpectedly .