PDA

View Full Version : Question about epoxy adhesion

scippy
11-26-2011, 07:13 PM
Does Epoxy adhere to vinyl?.......I have a ton of this moulding around. My intention is to use it "just as a filler"
I've already glassed hull & deck together & have eliminated the rub-rail........need to fill in the space beneath
finished radius.........radius is 3/4" deep at center......moulding strips are 5/16" thich perfect to use up for filler
space............I drilled holes every 6" for better bonding...........just don't know if epoxy would be the best glue.

gcarter
11-26-2011, 07:45 PM
Plexus isn't epoxy, but in this document, they say it can be bonded.

http://www.itwplexus.com/UserFiles/File/Guide_To_Bonding.pdf

Buddyc
11-26-2011, 08:01 PM
I think it would work. It would fill and adhere between the pieces. If you leave some of the holes open it will help as well...

scippy
11-26-2011, 08:53 PM
George,
I forgot to say I have the epoxy already.....I know epoxy works well with wood......just didn't know about vinyl

Buddy,
I agree,The holes and spaces between the mouldings would be ample space for a secondary bond for the geeeze
to ooooze through..............ooooopppps!!!.......I mean epoxy :wink:

scippy
11-26-2011, 09:55 PM
Fixx,

The existing surface (where mouldings will go upon) has already been glassed with a Vinylester resin & 1708
(see picture's)....Remember this is not structural....everything structural beneath this has already been done
below the moulding placement ........this will be a decorative capping.
The reason I ask is, ..some surfaces like melamine, acrylic, plastic sheating, etc, etc.... Poly's don't stick to.
That's why I came up with the epoxy question.............I just need to know what resin would work best with
the vinyl moulding..........Since I have both resins (epoxy & vinylester).......I should just test glue 2 pieces of
vinyl together to see what best works.

scippy
11-28-2011, 12:31 AM
Both epoxy -&- Vinylester are suitable bonding resins to adhere to vinyl........test done!