PDA

View Full Version : Website Sign-in Issues ?

silverghost
11-20-2011, 11:25 PM
For the last two weeks I have been trying to access the donzi.net website with no success.
I have not been able to gain access, nor sign in to read any posts for the last two weeks until now early late Sunday/Monday .
For the last two weeks straight I have tried to log-on and only get a server issue message saying that there is trouble with the donzi.net website I am trying to access.
I have tried to gain access dozens of times over the last two weeks witn no success~~~until just now.
I don't know if this was a server issue, or a problem with this website's V Bulletin's new spam filter.
I tried to contact Scot at scot @donzi.net and that email only bounced back to me also.
I did not have any other way to contact Scot as I did not have his phone contact number.

I see on another new thread here that Ed Donnelly has been having the exact same website access problem issue.

Any ideas , or help, greatly appreciated.
Is anyone else having these same issues?
Was any new spam filter change made to the site's V Bulletin software two weeks ago ?

patricke
11-21-2011, 12:23 AM
[ QUOTE=$originalposter]{$pagetext}[/QUOTE]

Me too....... just by chance this is the first time I've been able to view the site for days.

axelkloehn
11-21-2011, 04:27 AM
could not open it for weeks, first time today :boggled:

Ed Donnelly
11-21-2011, 06:02 AM
It seems that several times a day, a few people could access this site
(you know who you are) Keeping my fingers crossed...............Ed

Just Say N20
11-21-2011, 06:07 AM
50/50 on getting on the site during the past few weeks.

gmcars10
11-21-2011, 06:31 AM
Day after day no go, then it works fine.

MOP
11-21-2011, 06:51 AM
Odd I have been on almost every day but have gotten calls and emails about not being able to get on, I wonder if it may be a regional thing. Could it be that some servers are not linking properly? I also have been reading up on "Baidu Spider", BingBot Spider and other spiders and how they eat up band width. Baidu Spider is a Chinese spider that is particularly annoying and agressive, check out "who's on line" Baidu dominates the field. Maybe with it eating up so much band width it is denying users space to get on the site. There are several explanations of how to block it but it needs to be done by someone with site access.

Phil

VetteLT193
11-21-2011, 06:55 AM
I have said this in the past and I'll say it again. It seems like the site is load balanced over multiple web servers (probably 2) and one of them goes down but the failover doesn't work right.

There are times I can get in from my phone but can't get in at my regular PC at the exact same time. So the people that can log in might just be in a different IP range and get the working server.

Offset
11-21-2011, 07:53 AM
I have had the same issues trying to log on. For a week or 10 days I could not log on at all. Then it was hit and miss, the majority of the time it just says "cannot find server". Lately on some days it opens right up others not at all. At one point I early on I wondered if the site was gone.

woobs
11-21-2011, 07:56 AM

+1 ...exactly.

mattyboy
11-21-2011, 08:08 AM
have not had any issues at all over the last month using verizon wireless on my iphone and optimum for desktop/laptop.

I would imagine it is some kind of localized DNS or routing issue with local ISP.

Ed Donnelly
11-21-2011, 08:28 AM
mattyboy; I would not say local as we have people in Germany, Toronto, Vancouver,

Cali, and Wash, that have the same issue..Ed

Tidbart
11-21-2011, 09:02 AM
Had an issue for the last 2 weeks, but only at work. My home computer had no issue. Originally, I thought the company had locked me out of the site, but I am on now. Thank god. Now I can goof again.:wink:

B

gcarter
11-21-2011, 09:07 AM
It's funny, the different experiences people have had.......
I just thought Scot was working on the site.

mattyboy
11-21-2011, 09:08 AM
Ed
I would think if the problem was locally at .net. Everyone would have the issue. I would think there is a router somewhere in the line that might have an older outdated database loaded into it or a missing routing statement. I bet you will find that from the effected members they all hit the same router once they leave their own network or as they get onto the .net providers network.

VetteLT193
11-21-2011, 10:13 AM
Ed
I would think if the problem was locally at .net. Everyone would have the issue. I would think there is a router somewhere in the line that might have an older outdated database loaded into it or a missing routing statement. I bet you will find that from the effected members they all hit the same router once they leave their own network or as they get onto the .net providers network.

Not really. I had errors on my phone at times and on my main PC at times.

That eludes to a server in the mix going down (this is the first thing I would look at). The second would be a bad NIC on the server if there is only one server.

With load balanced web servers you can use a few different methods for distributing the load. Because server side state management is important it is much easier to keep people assigned to the same machine once they hit it. A cheap and quick 'fix' for this is to use a range of IP's and assign them to one server for a period of time. If that server goes half way down (i.e., it's 'working' to the load balancing manager but not actually serving pages) you end up with all assigned users to that server down for the allotted time (probably all day).

mattyboy
11-21-2011, 10:35 AM
Hard to believe that with the 5 -6 networks I hop onto across the NYC metro area during my day I have not had the issue all of these networks use different carriers. I would think I would be sent to the faulty server once in a while but I have had no issues what so ever

boxy
11-21-2011, 11:34 AM

Same problem Bob, only reversed... work was fine, couldn't get on at home..

silverghost
11-21-2011, 11:42 AM
Time of day, or night, did not have any effect on my ability not to get on the site.
I had tried at 5:00 AM EST~ to Midnight~~~to 2:30 AM.
I have had no success getting into the website at ANY time in the last two weeks ~~~until just after midnight last evening.

I emailed Jim (Buizilla) and several other members and they all stated that "It worked for them" .

I have found for many months now that very late at night there are still 65-98 users on this site.
This seems a bit odd to me ?
I has been this way since Scot changed servers & provider host some time ago.

Morgan's Cloud
11-21-2011, 04:55 PM
Courtesy of Ed ..
mattyboy; I would not say local as we have people in Germany, Toronto, Vancouver,

Cali, and Wash, that have the same issue..Ed

Same goes for out here in the triangle .. and I thought it was just me .Even at two different terminal , haven't been able to get on for close to two weeks.

But Scott has a lot on his plate right now so I'm willing to cut a whole lot of slack on this one .. Besides , I get to catch up on OSO ...

Otherwise , maybe more annoying than not being able to log on when I want is the fact that a bunch of people still haven't figured out that the 'quote' feature does not work :bonk:

boxy
11-21-2011, 06:15 PM
No wonder I didn't miss this.....
Thanks for the heads up MC, sorry to annoy you.

Morgan's Cloud
11-21-2011, 06:43 PM
Sorry Boxy , that was not directed specifically at you ...It's just surprising that still right up to today people are using the quote function and it hasn't worked for a long time and I go nuts trying to figure out exactly who the poster is replying to.

scippy
11-22-2011, 12:08 PM

MC, there must be a trick to it because i've seen but a few members
get the "quote function" to work.........many don't. observe above :confused:

MOP
11-22-2011, 03:28 PM
I am still reasonably sure it is due to the web spiders eating up band width, last night the were over 100 users showing but only 11 members and about 15 guests the rest were web spiders. I just looked at he Who's Online was 80+ 4 members 9 guests the rest were web spiders, if you tale a few minutes to Google the various spider names it speaks of how much band width they suck up. There is also instructions how to write a file to keep them off the site. We are far from alone! I have checked several of the sites I frequent they are all flooded with spiders especially Baidu Spider and BingBot Spider. Bingbot is the search spider for Bing's search engine, the Baidu Spider is a Chinese spider that is flooding many sites. With a little luck when Scot gets better he will have time block the spiders, IMO with low band width from the spiders the site gets rejected by some servers.

You can read up on it in these links: http://www.google.com/search?q=baidu+spider&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-GB:official&client=firefox-a

Phil

mattyboy
11-22-2011, 03:53 PM
I am still reasonably sure it is due to the web spiders eating up band width, last night the were over 100 users showing but only 11 members and about 15 guests the rest were web spiders. I just looked at he Who's Online was 80+ 4 members 9 guests the rest were web spiders, if you tale a few minutes to Google the various spider names it speaks of how much band width they suck up. There is also instructions how to write a file to keep them off the site. We are far from alone! I have checked several of the sites I frequent they are all flooded with spiders especially Baidu Spider and BingBot Spider. Bingbot is the search spider for Bing's search engine, the Baidu Spider is a Chinese spider that is flooding many sites. With a little luck when Scot gets better he will have time block the spiders, IMO with low band width from the spiders the site gets rejected by some servers.

You can read up on it in these links: http://www.google.com/search?q=baidu+spider&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-GB:official&client=firefox-a

Phil

Test the quote feature works from the iPhone okay

mattyboy
11-22-2011, 04:16 PM

but doesn't work from the laptop

MOP
11-22-2011, 04:51 PM
I have the "Qoute" issue but only in FireFox, in IE it works fine. I have spent time on the FF site looking for an answer, so far I have not flound any.

Phil

Morgan's Cloud
11-22-2011, 04:53 PM
Aaah , very interesting test results Matty .

Although it has already been discussed elsewhere ,maybe some posters aren't going back to their posts to check them after they've been logged.
Until then I'll continue to do primitive/basic cut and pastes.

joseph m. hahnl
11-22-2011, 05:29 PM
Aaah , very interesting test results Matty .

Although it has already been discussed elsewhere ,maybe some posters aren't going back to their posts to check them after they've been logged.
Until then I'll continue to do primitive/basic cut and pastes.

There was a thread on it. How to make the quote work. there is a white space between the [ Q should look like this [Q .Don't now what's wrong with the rest, I also cut and copy the name and text and insert it.:yes: