PDA

View Full Version : What type of watch do you wear in your Donzi?

biggiefl
11-17-2011, 01:57 PM
This is supposed to be a poll but not sure if it working that way.

1) An expensive sport watch such as Rolex or Breitling

2) An expensive dress watch such as Piaget or Cartier

3) A diver's type watch such as Tag, Citizen, Seiko, etc

4) An everyday don't care as long as it keeps time watch

5) None...I don't care what time it is

hardcrab
11-17-2011, 05:06 PM
I don't see "sundial" on the list ............... :rolleyes:

MOP
11-17-2011, 05:22 PM
I still wear my 1967 Rolex Oyster Date that to this day keeps spot on time!

Offset
11-17-2011, 05:51 PM
I have a really old Tudor that just keeps running, well I do have to keep moving to keep it moving! The finish is worn off and it looks like hell. It just keeps going and telling me the time of day sort of accurately anyhow, it looses a few minutes a month.

If I could have any watch I would like a Rolex Daytona that I won at the 24 Hours of Daytona.:checkered:

mattyboy
11-17-2011, 06:20 PM
No need for a watch my classic has the state of the art analog gps array. Leading edge technology for 1968. ;)

Buddyc
11-17-2011, 07:03 PM
I wear the same watch that I would wear anywhere..
Tag hauer. It's a great watch for under 3 grand. Can wear It in shorts at the beach or a suit at a business meeting

G-MAN
11-17-2011, 08:26 PM
Who needs a watch anymore, everyone has a cell phone.

jl1962
11-17-2011, 09:23 PM
Don't need a watch,
I just watch the fuel gauge!

McGary911
11-17-2011, 11:08 PM
1 and 3 can be considered pretty close. A 16610 or earlier submariner can be considered a pretty good dive watch, although something a bit less shiny would make some sense too.

Capevettes
11-18-2011, 06:55 AM
I wear an el cheapo sports watch. Not much into jewelry, even though I drive Corvettes :smash:

Craig S
11-18-2011, 11:12 AM
Lol!!!!!

RedDog
11-18-2011, 11:21 AM
[ QUOTE=G-MAN]Who needs a watch anymore, everyone has a cell phone. [/QUOTE]

+1

Carl C
11-18-2011, 12:04 PM
[ QUOTE]Who needs a watch anymore, everyone has a cell phone. [/QUOTE]

+2

One rule on my boat is that there will be no time schedule. If you have stuff to do then you can come out another day! That's because I never know where I will end up. I might be 80 miles away at Put-in-Bay. Nope, the position of the sun and weather determine when I call it a day.

biggiefl
11-18-2011, 01:32 PM
Most people use one watch mainly. People that like watches have multiples and multiple styles but everyone has their favorite...let's use that.

Expensive sport watch can mean lets say anything over $3g's

Dress watch the same but I doubt many here are the leather band type since we turn wrenches etc.

Dive watch lets keep under $3k and can include any brand like Omega, Tag, Concord, down to a $79 special.

#4 is anything from Sears, JC Penny's, Wally World, etc

#5 can include a sundial or Cel phone but your wrists are bare...mainly due to the several gold bracelets under your satin Corvette jacket ;)

Nick...proud owner of a 1980 modified vette for 22 years now. I however like watches and a pinky ring. You can take me outa NJ but you can't take NJ outa me.

Just Say N20
11-18-2011, 02:02 PM
I already have to many wallet-hoovering "hobbies."

What with boats, motorcycles, guns, knives, kids in college, etc., I have somehow managed to avoid the really cool watch hobby.

I don't like wearing them anyway.

For me:

1. Cell phone
2. Gas gauge

I do, however, like the clock in the boat like Matty posted. Hmmmm. . . . . :yes:

mattyboy
11-18-2011, 02:49 PM
JN2O

the clock is part of the analog gps array which consisted of a barometer, a compass , a clock and a sextant on the key chain. with the porta potty it was obivious the previous owner was a sea faring man with this benchseat. I also have all of the tide charts from the 70's for the bayport LI area.

the boat will no longer see salt or tides so time doesn't really matter except for when happy starts ;)

hardcrab
11-18-2011, 08:12 PM
I'm really interested to know who spends 3G on a watch ?
and why ?

take me back to the day : Timex Citizen $29.95 - Who was the guy in the commercials that tied these watches to all kinds of apparatus only to find out "It takes a licking and keeps on ticking?"
:nilly:

roadtrip se
11-18-2011, 09:16 PM
Jim McKay.

$3K doesn't really buy you much watch these days. I wear a Rolex Sub with Serti dial when on a schedule. When I'm not, like during the time I am running my Donzi, I wear nothing at all.

hardcrab
11-18-2011, 10:44 PM
[ QUOTE=$originalposter]{$pagetext}[/QUOTE]

John Cameron Swayze is who I was thinking of -

but I guess what I'm hearing is that pricey watches are for the "bling" factor?

jeffdds
11-18-2011, 10:58 PM
Interesting post , I got a kick out of alot of the answers and questions raised . I really like Omegas from the pre merger days , I have several but for the last few years I only wear my 1970 speedmaster . It s a classic 3 dial stainless steel chronograph "stopwatch " style for anyone who doesnt know what it looks like > My favorite part is I have the special back with the omega sea dragon logo in the middle and it says "Flight-qualified by NASA for all manned space missions . The first watch worn on the moon " around the edges . Its a good watch for me since I spend alot of time in space ... j/k
any other Omega fan(atics) out there ?

Ghost
11-19-2011, 12:39 AM
As for the 'why' question, despite being someone who doesn't own a fine watch I'll take a stab. It's not unlike any other piece of jewelry. Except that with watches, it's a piece of fine machinery as well as being jewelry. Hence, it has even more draw for many.

It is amazing what cell phones have done to the watch world. For maybe 20 years, I almost never went without. For the last 5 or more, I almost never wear one.

Rob M
11-19-2011, 07:20 AM
Ditto on the Speedmaster. Had same early vintage, now have the 35th anniversary (White dial, black registers). Also a Heuer Carrera (Black dial, black registers), and a IWC Portuguese Chrono (Black dial, black registers).

As to why - same reason you buy a Donzi Classic vs. a Glastron or Bayliner. Classic timeless style, durability, craftsmanship and above all the connection with brand - not totally rational, but that is what brand appeal is all about.

biggiefl
11-19-2011, 08:05 AM
$3k gets you a watch at the mall ;) Actually my watches have become great investments recently especially the ones with gold. I have a 1948 or so Omega that was my grandfathers. I also have a 2002ish Seamaster with a plain dial(no #'s) which is supposably rare in the US. I had a 1991 Constellation that I lost at sea in 1999. I replaced that with my Breitling which the prices have exploded on since. I could almost double my $$ if I sold her which I won't.

Gaffrig used to make clocks, not sure if they still do. My Baja came with a clock.

roadtrip se
11-19-2011, 08:31 AM
These are good and with a boating angle...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_NHq3Yze6s0&NR=1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&v=78dOa5pqeKA

What happened to the digital?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xz8LXDGLMOo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sz_GStXNVu8

Donziweasel
11-19-2011, 08:49 AM
Tag, have had it for 10 years. Good watch. I have beat the crap out of the crystal in Wyoming and it does not have a scratch.

BUIZILLA
11-19-2011, 09:21 AM
back in Dec '77 I was an aircraft line mech working at MIA when I had an APU from a BAC 111 fall out of position and landed on top of me... long story, damn near killed me.... but the gist of it was I used to wear a Timex Military Classic with a rubberized band.... since all reports for line maint had to be done in mil time and the rubber band wouldn't snag on nacelle components,,,,, the APU landed on top of my left hand/arm, and basically I had 9 compound fractures of my left hand/wrist which took 3 years of surgery to sort out, I almost lost my left hand.... the watch band broke and it got put in my hospital receipt bag... couple weeks or a month later I noticed a small bump in my left wrist that wouldn't go down and the Xray revealed something metallic in the joint, since I had multiple plates and screws we didn't think much of it, they cut me open and retrieved the winder knob from under the wrist muscle where it had been driven through my skin and INTO the bone under a tendon, then I fetched the watch and found it still dry blood soaked, still ticking and keeping perfect time.... should have sent the xray and story to Timex, but my heeling/disability/therapy was more important at the time...

I then got a Tag AquaRacer which was probably the most accurate watch on earth for a non-digital.... it got stolen when our house was ransacked one Friday...

then got a Rolex SS Sub that I thought I couldn't kill... 4 crystals later I traded it....

my current two tone Rolex Sub i've had for over 25 years, and it's basically a dress diver watch, and about as accurate as tomorrow's weather man, but it looks Donzi cool :)

if I want to know what time it REALLY is, my current Sieko Chronograph only has to be set twice a year for DST changes...

PMZONER
11-19-2011, 10:16 AM
It's a pilot thing, pilots, astronauts and James Bond can't all be wrong!

Ed Donnelly
11-20-2011, 09:52 PM
I wear a 44yr old Rolex that I just got an estimate of $1,000 to overhaul ..Ed

biggiefl
11-21-2011, 01:46 PM
$1000 in 44 years...not too shabby. My old Omega cost about half of that to do about 10 years ago, she was about the same age.

The Hedgehog
11-21-2011, 03:20 PM

Danforth?

Looks like the weather station on my Chris. I was told that Lauderdale speedo could rebuild them. I am in the process of looking into that.

mattyboy
11-21-2011, 05:07 PM
Not sure with the quote feature not working but I think hedges question was directed at me. Yes it Is a danforth the compass barometer and clock which needs a movement all danforth I think the original depth finder was too with the lighted dial but someone replaced modified a ranger digital finder to fit. Let me know on the rebuild eventually I need to do that thanks :). the danforth instruments on my boat have dimmers for their lights you can see them to the right of the clock which I thought was pretty neat

superhatz
11-21-2011, 07:26 PM
An old Rolex Submariner....just like a Donzi...they've made them forever, still look about the same and will never go out of style.

:)

The Hedgehog
11-21-2011, 09:03 PM

Yep. The same stuff. I will let you know how it goes. The buttons to the right are dimmers in red

zelatore
11-22-2011, 10:51 AM
Same 10 year old s/s Tag I've been wearing pretty much every day for the last 10 years.

As for the cell phone thing, I don't get it. Sure, I'm always carrying one and it's 100% accurate, but just to check the time it's a PITA to pull it out of my pocket instead of just glancing at my wrist. It'll never be a replacement for a watch.

Besides, it's the only 'jewelry' I own!

dsparis
11-22-2011, 01:53 PM
Bling

Marlin275
11-22-2011, 02:43 PM
I saw Flavor Flav in my Chase bank years back

what a character . . .

olredalert
11-22-2011, 04:30 PM
-----Just read this thread and Ed Donnellys 44 year ownership got me to thinking about my GMT Master Two-tone. Bought it in 1971 on sale in Ft. Liquerdale for $380. Its usually on my wrist unless Im sleeping or its being repaired (twice in 40 years)......Bill S

Team Jefe
11-23-2011, 01:30 PM
Invicta 47MM Pro-Diver Automatic in Titanium case. I also have the 40MM Pro-diver Auto that is was built to be an exact weight, size, style replica of a Rolex Sub. I like automatics, and both of mine are the 21 jewel Japanese movements. My boss has several Rolex's and I see no difference in timekeeping between the two brands, and these were inexpensive enough that if it gets buried at sea by accident...no biggie!! I've actually bought 17 Invicta's so far and not come close to spending 3G's.

As a guy who spends alot of time offshore, I need a good watch and good compass....GPS could quit for a variety of reasons and I have to be prepared for navigation Old School Style (I actually need to practice some this winter).....

.....Plus, I just like knowing what time it is, and can look at my watch more discretely than I can the cell phone at times.

Walt. H.
04-02-2012, 01:43 PM
Don't Laugh
I hate having that non-tan wrist watch line, so for me it's my cheap pot metal $10.99 WalMart pocket watch attached to a s/s lanyard. It has eluminated numerals including the hour - minute & second hands that hasn't even lost a single minute nor have I ever replaced the original battery that came with it almost five yr's ago.
Yep! "It Takes A Lickin And Keeps On Tickin", and not one scratch or crack appears on the glass lens either.

show-n-go h2o
04-06-2012, 12:40 PM
Suprised that no one mentioned Movado, i love mine, i have 2 of them right now and looking a 3rd just yesterday. Not the most expensie watch out there but one of mine is the tungsten carbide band, i have had it about 9 years and there's not one scratch on it, supposedly it won't scratch. I wear it almost everyday but when i change out i have a museum series Movado that i wear for more dressy occasion. I haven't stepped up over $3200 for a watch yet but i do like my dads collection of Breitling's but i am not ready to step up that high yet.

Ed Donnelly
04-06-2012, 08:08 PM
I designed a watch for my Mom around 40 yrs ago and the Gent that made it used a Movado movement.. Still keeps great time...Ed

Ghost
04-06-2012, 08:45 PM
Whoa, how cool is that?

Barry Eller
04-11-2012, 03:35 PM
23 year old Tag and a 10 year old Citizen Eco-Drive, both dive watches. I also have a Timex Ironman Triathalon that I use the timer/alarm when cooking outside on the grille and smoker.

RockyS18
04-11-2012, 05:52 PM
Tag Heuer diving watch

paul65k
04-11-2012, 09:43 PM
Rolex GMT Master II, 2 tone Jubilee Band, 20+ years old......it's a pilot thing :wink:

olredalert
04-12-2012, 07:51 AM
----Are you on your second band???.....Bill S

Lively-one
04-24-2012, 10:00 PM
A 32 year old Submariner...I think the quote below sums up my feeling exactly.

(by) superhatz
"An old Rolex Submariner....just like a Donzi...they've made them forever, still look about the same and will never go out of style."

Tom Davis
05-02-2012, 03:55 PM
My favorite and the one I wear boating is the Omega Seamaster. SS, Automatic, Chrono, indestructible! No numbers just tridium dots and hands that you can see at night. I've had the watch for ten years and it still keeps perfect time and has taken a beating. It's the same watch worn in all the James Bond movies since the first with Sean Connery. Good to 1000 feet and has a presure release valve at 10:00, Just in case you find yourself in a bathysphere / dive bell...

Ed Donnelly
06-12-2016, 05:38 AM
Bond wore a Rolex in at least ten of the Bond movies....Ed

Conquistador_del_mar
06-14-2016, 02:07 AM
I wear an old Technomarine chronograph - bulletproof.

TBroccoli
06-22-2016, 02:39 PM
I don't wear a watch on the boat...... I'm on the boat!

BLACKBOX
06-23-2016, 11:53 AM
This, of course !84742

CHACHI
06-23-2016, 12:55 PM
Or maybe this

Hilltopper
06-23-2016, 07:38 PM
Still my fastest! 1983 and more accurate than my Rolex Yachtmaster and original Omega Speedmaster and yes I have two of the PD! FYI still own two Porsche.

bertsboat
06-24-2016, 12:52 PM
The indestructible Sea Dweller

JimG
06-28-2016, 02:30 PM
A forty-six year old GMT-Master, same age as my Donzi. Both still original, both still run great!