PDA

View Full Version : Bravo Lower WON'T Seperate

justleft
11-17-2011, 12:30 PM
My lower unit will not seperate from the drive shaft housing. :cussball: '91 Bravo 1 (sn 0D59).
Yep, 6 nuts are off and 1 bolt under trim tab (as shown in manual).

I have tried everything (within reason); wacking with a wood 6x6, prying on the thick parts, running a knife around seam to break paint,
tapping in a 1" putty knife around the seam. Doesn't seem to be stuck at the seam :bonk:

The lube looked good so I hope the drive shaft is not rusted into the gear set. I suppose I'll pull the cover and get a view from top.

Any ideas or suggestions ..... (No, I can't afford a new drive)

MOP
11-17-2011, 05:20 PM
When you go to put it back together coat all mating surfaces and the studs with non hardening gasket compound. They can be a bugger to get apart if not preped properly, most shops don't take the time shame on them!

biggiefl
11-18-2011, 01:15 PM
Unless you pull your drive off frequently(yearly at least). You should use spline grease, not just marine grease. Spline grease does not wash off like regular will. Use it on bolts as well.

justleft
11-19-2011, 02:52 PM
Yea ! It seperated !!! :hyper: Put a little heat into the 6 studs with a small butane torch.
Had wood wedged into front and wacked on the thick rear bit with my 6x6 wood chunk.

On about the 4th blow I heard a crack sound ! The seam split a hair. I expected to see
broken aluminum but everthing was good. Some tapping in the wedge in front and a few more
wacks the seam opened to 1/4". Some gentle prying urged it the rest of the way.

I think MOP called it. There was hardened compound in the bores of the 6 studs glueing it all together.

The inside of the drive looks really good !!