PDA

View Full Version : 1962 Century Coronado 21' for Restoration

FlatRacer, aka BarrelBack
11-16-2011, 10:20 PM
1962 Century Coronado 21'. No hardtop. For restoration. Original 390 c.i. Ford Interceptor. Hard top was removed and used on another Coronado, but I know of a top in Michigan that's available for purchase. Hardware is 99% there and what little is missing is not hard to find.
Confirmed by Century Club quarterly magazine to be one of the Coronados won on The Price Is Right game show.
Price lowered to $4,000 on trailer. Located in VT.
E-mail eric.tolnes@verizon.net or call Eric at (718) 727-9277 or call Jack at (802) 273-2122

Craig S
11-17-2011, 11:56 AM
Pics?
if its a 394, its probably not a Ford.

That's got the jet fighter bow like the '59-60, and would have been a t top if it had the opt top.

biggiefl
11-17-2011, 01:40 PM
The Price is Right did not air until 1972 and I never knew them to give away used items. Ford never made a 394 as far as I know as well.

11-17-2011, 05:00 PM
Pics are coming soon. Shot some last weekend on Mom's camera. Just waiting for her to download them and send them to me.

When Dad told me that we'd end up with this boat (it was bought for its top and assorted trim pieces to be used in the restoration of another '62 Coronado which we already owned), he said over the phone that it had a "three ninety four", which I misheard as a "three ninety Ford".
When I saw the paperwork on it, it said 394, which I looked up on the 'net. The only engine I saw from that time period was a 394 Oldsmobile. Okay, so it has an Olds. But....when I went up last weekend to take some pics of it, it had a pair of finned aluminum Mickey Thompson (M/T) valve covers that had FORD stamped on them. I took a second look at the paperwork, and in a couple of places it says "394 Ford".
I'm a Chevy guy. I don't speak Ford or Oldsmobile for that matter, but I WILL get to the bottom of it.

The "Price Is Right" part of the story comes from an ad that was written up by a previous owner which was found in the bundle of papers that came to us with the boat. This was corroborated by the Century Club website, though I don't recall if it said when these boats were given as prizes. I'll research that and get back to you with what I find.

Thanks,
Eric

11-17-2011, 05:04 PM
Holy Crap!

http://www.game-show-utopia.net/tpir56/tpirctvguide2.htm

Eric

OFFSHORE GINGER
11-17-2011, 05:13 PM
Eric , when was the last time she was in the water , and on a scale of 1 to 10 how do you rate the boat , and what shape is the , trailer , motor (running or not) interior, framing , battens , coverboards , decks & bottom ......... ?

11-17-2011, 07:04 PM
This was a parts boat for us, and as such, I did not exactly go over it with a fine toothed comb, but my impression is that while the bottom would need to be replaced, the frames and side planking are fine. The interior is all there and usable, but would be better of with new vinyl. The covering boards and deck should be replaced, and there's a board missing from the top of the transom.
No idea when it was in the water last, or if the engine runs. As we just moved it to our house last month upon completion of the restoration of our other '62 Coronado, I have not had a chance to investigate that. I will dig into it in the spring, though.
We have two trailers that the new owner can choose from which are in decent shape.

Feel free to e-mail me or call if you have more questions.

Eric

11-27-2011, 07:07 PM
Just confirmed it's a 390 c.i. Ford. I edited my original post to reflect this.
I just got pics too, so e-mail me if you'd like to see them.

Eric

11-27-2011, 08:23 PM
Pics:

11-27-2011, 08:31 PM
More pics:

silverghost
11-27-2011, 09:21 PM
What Century parts were removed when this boat was used as a restoration parts donor boat ?

What Century specific hardware & other parts are now missing ?

Is there any rot anywhere in the hull , or it structural frames, or transom ?

My uncle had two mahogany Century Coronado hardtops new back-to-back decades ago.

He still has a third early fiberglass Century sitting in storage for the last 35+ years.
He was always a Century boat lover.

11-27-2011, 09:50 PM
Both boats were complete when we bought them. The '61 Dad had restored came without a top. When he had it restored, he decided he REALLY wanted the hardtop. We hunted for a top for years with no success. We considered having one made from scratch, but that proved to be an expensive proposition given all the special hardware that would have had to have been duplicated. Part way through the restoration of the hull, the decision was made to buy the second boat for its top.

Any hardware that was pilfered from the parts boat was done only because it may have been in marginally better shape than that which was on the first boat. Any piece taken from the donor boat was swapped with the corresponding piece from the recipient boat. I believe the ONLY chrome parts missing at this point is the set of CORONADO letters from the hull sides, which are still available. Perhaps the step pads, as well. I'm not 100% sure.

I don't see any hull rot on the '62. The decks need replacing as well as the bottom planking, but the side planking looks good. The frame and battens all look good. Make no mistake, this is a total restoration project, but everything you need is there. As with any classic wooden hull resto, of course that's what you're buying.

Dad is a Century man as well. He has an '86 Coronado, and a '49 19' Resorter that was originally owned by Kate Smith on Lake Placid, but that's another story entirely..........

Eric

OFFSHORE GINGER
11-29-2011, 08:52 AM
All hardware mentioned above can be still be had to this day including upholstery kits , flooring ect ,ect , from www.classicboating.com (http://www.classicboating.com) in Manistee Mich .

PMZONER
11-29-2011, 09:20 AM
I spent 14 months building this little Skerry, I know to love a wooden boat, you have to love sandpaper and varnish.68936:yes:

OFFSHORE GINGER
11-29-2011, 09:48 AM
PMZONER , cool little boat and is it a Glen L Design?

woobs
11-29-2011, 03:15 PM
I know how to love wooden boats....but beauty (and trouble) are more than skin deep.

This 1972 Greavette was one of the cleanest well cared for around. In 2008 I began to fix a small soft spot above the waterline just ahead of the transom on the port side...after a new keel, transom, entire hull, stringers and some ribs/supports she is finally being varnished as I write this.

But there's nothing like them! worth every penny.

PMZONER
12-02-2011, 11:19 AM
It's not a Glen L., it's a Chesepeak Light Craft, Skerry. a little 15ft double ender modeled after the work boats of old, rows and sails great. Great fun to build.

To sand your boat is to love your boat and nothing smells as rewarding as the last coat of varnish. :yes:

Craig S
12-02-2011, 03:16 PM
Did you post it on the facebook and yahoo sites for the CBC (Century Boat Club)?
The Facebook group is real active.
Craig

12-02-2011, 08:57 PM
Thanks for the tip, Craig. The Facebook page seems pretty busy.
Do you have a link for the Yahoo site?

Eric

OFFSHORE GINGER
12-02-2011, 09:59 PM
www.centuryboatclub.com (http://www.centuryboatclub.com) www.antiqueboat.com (http://www.antiqueboat.com) and www.classicboating.com (http://www.classicboating.com) also has listings and would you like more ? hey guy funny thing i am in the process of restoring a 16 foot Century Resorter which has new cover boards , decks , framing , battens , almost all new hull sides with more to go and in the future will also ...... soon be for sell .

12-02-2011, 10:21 PM
Ginger, I'm just curious. Did you restore the Resorter with the intent to sell (for a profit?), or did you lose interest in it after beginning the resto?

Eric

OFFSHORE GINGER
12-03-2011, 09:13 AM
Eric , i purchased the boat to restore and keep....... but time............ and working on other boats has been very limited to the Resorter but who knows i could change my mind like the wind considering i just ordered more wood yesterday, and will have more time on my hands with only few other projects this winter.

12-03-2011, 04:00 PM
I smell what you're cookin'. Sometimes it seems a shame we can't keep them all! At least give yourself a season or two to enjoy it before you move it on down the line. Do some shows and runs. The Fulton Chain event is lots of fun. The St Johns River cruise adjacent to the Mt. Dora show is one I've always wanted to attend.

Eric

OFFSHORE GINGER
12-04-2011, 02:00 PM
Eric , that is not the reason considering the problem i have is ........i do fiberglass repair and have been for the last 40 plus years now ,and have to make hay while i can........... along with having my eye on a few other project ( boats) that are made from glass that can be done in months instead of years opposed to wood but non the less i will just keep plugging away on the ole girl because i do enjoy working on her ........ when i have the time , and to tell you the truth having not to suit up when working on a wooden boat sure beats the dust that is generated when grinding on glass ................. if you know what i mean......:wink:

Craig S
12-05-2011, 11:08 AM
centurywoodenboats@yahoogroups.com

12-05-2011, 03:13 PM
I guess I'm "internet dense" or something. That's an email address. What... do I... do with it?

Good news: I've located a top that's available for sale, in case anyone just HAS to have the hardtop.

Eric

Craig S
12-06-2011, 11:40 AM
centurywoodenboats
in yahoo groups. I think you have to apply to the moderator.

12-28-2011, 09:30 PM
Check out what was just posted on the Century Club's Facebook page:

The boat appears at 6:15 into the clip (may have been this very boat):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ie7fLlEezSk

Eric

OFFSHORE GINGER
12-29-2011, 08:04 AM
Pretty cool clip, and some of those products that came up for advertising Heet , Newport Cig's . Wow.....................:D

woobs
12-29-2011, 08:29 AM
Now I want to polish my shoes for 19 cents!

01-27-2012, 11:57 AM
I just wanted to add, for you Century Coronado enthusiasts out there, if you (like my Dad) simply MUST have the optional hardtop, I do know of one available for sale in Michigan.

Thanks.
Eric

DonziFreak
02-09-2012, 07:06 PM
Ran into your thread on boatracingfacts, didn't realize it was you until I chased the donzi.net link! :tongue:

Good luck with the sale bud!

02-09-2012, 07:23 PM
Thanks. I have it listed in the ACBS Quarterly and website, the Century Boat Club Quarterly and website, OldBoat.com, AntiqueBoatAmerica.com, some other free old boat classified online sites, and a bunch of forums. If there's a buyer out there looking to restore this particular model (my favorite vintage for Coronados, I must say), this is the boat he wants, and I'm confident he'll find it.

Hey, I see on BRF there's some talk of Miami Marine Stadium getting back up and running. Have you heard anything about it down there?

Peace, and speed!
Eric

BUIZILLA
02-09-2012, 07:27 PM
looking up...

http://www.marinestadium.org/index.php/news/Boat_Racing_at_Mami_Marine_Stadium

DonziFreak
02-09-2012, 09:29 PM
My brother is on the board and the treasurer for the Friends of Miami Marine Stadium group. :)

Not much has happened lately, we are waiting for the county to turn the stadium over to us so we can begin the refirb... They have to approve our proposal before that will happen. We are trying our best to get the stadium restored to her former glory without the county's help.....

BUIZILLA
02-10-2012, 06:34 AM
My brother is on the board and the treasurer for the Friends of Miami Marine Stadium group. :)

Not much has happened lately, we are waiting for the county to turn the stadium over to us so we can begin the refirb... They have to approve our proposal before that will happen. We are trying our best to get the stadium restored to her former glory without the county's help.....

actually, the problem is with the City of Miami, not Miami-Dade County as such..... the City just can't seem to ever, ever, ever, ever, get ANYTHING right....

DonziFreak
02-10-2012, 09:08 AM
Amen.....

Honestly, I don't care how the process takes place, as long as we can get the stadium restored and I finally get to race there (like I've always dreamed about), I'll be a happy man.

olredalert
02-10-2012, 11:18 AM
----I sure hope this happens! I spent many a day anchored off the end of the stadium amongst probobly 30 or more DONZIs as well as maybe a hundred other performance boats watching the races and just having an immense amount of fun in general. Very, very good memories!!!!......Bill S

01-25-2013, 10:55 AM
Thread bump. Hopefully, with the economy picking up, there's a Century fan out there who's ready to restore one of these.
BTW, Happy New Year Donzi folks!

Eric

09-13-2013, 10:15 AM
I received an email from one of the previous owners, and he filled me in on some of the boat's history. He sent me some pics of him towing it with a Corvette! He also told me he was the one who fitted the engine with those Kool aluminum M/T valve covers. Great stuff.
Also, in a story about the Price Is Right Coronados in the Century Club quarterly magazine, Century Club president Thomas Holmes has confirmed that this hull is in fact the one won by Barbara Bennis and featured on the cover of TV Guide.

Fascinating history.
BTW, I'm reducing the asking price to $4K.

Cheers!
Eric

02-08-2014, 09:10 AM
Just bumping the thread to the top to provide easy access to info for a recent inquiry.

Peace, y'all.
Eric

OFFSHORE GINGER
02-09-2014, 09:48 AM
Eric , how yah doing and is everything alright ?

03-20-2014, 07:54 PM
I'm fine.

Uh, how are you?

08-22-2014, 08:57 PM
Bumping thread due to recent inquiries.