PDA

View Full Version : what does this equal?

vagrant
07-30-2001, 11:54 AM
ok you have a nice warm day, lake is crowded ,a brand new 34ft hustler boat, people that have been drinking all day , a big cruiser that makes BIG waves.That equals = 34FT hustler with drunk people in it and driving hits big cruiser wave, barrel rolls,ejects people from boat, people leave the scene, boat gets towed for $100 per foot for a total of 3400 dollars and THE KICKER IS, the owner of this brand new hustler has to drive from new york to pay a $3400 tow bill and pick up is pickled hustler! what a way to enjoy someones boat.

:mad: :mad:
david

Forrest
07-30-2001, 02:00 PM
What did they do, swim back to the car? I think that I've heard of more boating accidents this year than any other. At this rate, state legislators are going to start getting involved and who know what kind of licensing/training may be mandatory in the future. All this because of the bone-heads who go out and buy a fast boat (which is often times their first boat as well), don't want to take the time to learn about high-perfromance boating, and then promptly go out and lose control. It's amazing that the jerk that Bryan was telling us about last week didn't die or kill someone in that mishap.

Here is one of our recent boating accident customers:
http://www.dc.state.fl.us/ActiveInmates/inmateaction.asp?DataAction=GetInmate&DCN umber=L25026 (http://www.dc.state.fl.us/ActiveInmates/inmateaction.asp?DataAction=GetInmate&DCNumber=L25026)

He had a nice triple engine 45' Sonic. He gets to use in 85 years.

. . . and here is the story:
http://www.rbbi.com/folders/acc/ftlaud2/ftlaud2.htm

Looped
07-30-2001, 03:31 PM
I know I know, this is the wrong thing to be posting on this site but we don’t want to see anymore Donzis wounded in action do to drinking on the water. I am pretty sure that’s how this one was flipped a couple years back if anyone remembers.

http://www.donzi.net/photos/cringer10.jpg

Formula Jr
07-30-2001, 04:25 PM
Due to the general level of inexperience of my state's PWC users, I now have to carry around a little card that says I can drive a boat. Thats why I hate these things. You look at the actual stats and it just angers me cause 80% of it is Kids on PWCs. You take them out of the picture and the accident rate has steadily declined in the past six years.
I really don't know where these guys come from - the ones that get a 100,000 dollar go- fast as their first boat - but they are out there and don't have clue.

roadtrip se
07-31-2001, 12:03 AM
A couple of years back, a go-fast with green gelcoat ran over a small Bayliner after dark with four women in it here on Lake Lewisville. Nobody was killed, but nobody was ever charged with anything either. We endured months of news coverage on what it did to these women, including some pretty gruesome photographs. How hard could it be to find a banged up go-fast with green gelcoat? Incompetence at its best.
This all being said, our sport took a pretty serious hit during this time also. I was approached by all sorts of people wanting to express their particular opinion about my boat and the inherent dangers of it to myself and the general public at large. Keep in mind that I have friends that will not boat with me, because I do not think my boat is an exstension of the local bar.
Last thing I wish for is another excuse for Johnny Watercop to stop me and check for my boat certification license. I will gladly pay higher registration fees to put more of them on the water to keep the yahoos in check, but if I am operating my craft in a responsible manner, then please let's not create another reason to visit with the local enforcement official.
Ok, burning soap box now. Todd

Air 22
07-31-2001, 08:21 AM
:( To bad people never seem to take responsibility for their actions. BUI should also go on one's Driving record. You cannot Drive a car, plane, train, heavy equipment drunk and if you do you pay! Boating should not be any different. You have a responsibility to not only youself but those who 's life you take out on your boat. I'm a 22'Classic owner and see many people out on the waters partying and I'm all for a good time but have a Designated driver or don't Drink! Speed and Booze don't mix no matter what the vehicle. I'm in agreement w/ Maadpoodle..A license (that can be lost)for the class of boat you operate w/ mandatory boating course etc.
To bad 1 or 2 people make life hard for the rest of us.

Ok..enough already..go fast be responsible!

Dwight

mattyboy
07-31-2001, 08:28 AM
the story is all to familair, just happened on my lake, www.th-record.com/archive/2001/07/09/drboatfa.htm (http://www.th-record.com/archive/2001/07/09/drboatfa.htm)
(hope that worx)
we all know the responsibility of boating, perhaps a requirement to take a basic certification when a boat is registered,
made my son take the usgc coarse he is 13 and 80% of his friends didn't pass and in 2 years they'll all be on jet ski's. he got an 80 but there was no review so he and myself don't know what he got wrong. did review the book for his good and also to test my knowlege never to old to learn.
I don't want the law to intrude into my boating pleasure, but they should control the knuckle heads.
by 2004 everyone in NY must pass the basic test so I'm told. if the carnage continues i'm sure it will happen sooner
have a safe and sunny summer.

Matt

Rootsy
07-31-2001, 09:34 AM
Gawd, that reporter should be writing speeches for the president or something... not a hint of bias or embellishment in that at all...

mikev
07-31-2001, 10:39 AM
I dont rember all the details but a few years ago here on lake Lanier several people were killed when there boat was run over at night by a guy in a big crusier. the guy just kept on going they found him a few weeks later when he tried th get his hull repaired or something like that he had hidden the boat during the search and investigation. if i remeber right he got some jail time for it. Tom on Lanier might remeber more about it.

mattyboy
07-31-2001, 11:27 AM
madpoodle,
just think back to your tgif post, that should shutdown the rant mode, bring back some happy memories just think friday on it's way
Matt

RedDog
07-31-2001, 01:16 PM
I find this phenomena much like I have observed in the performance motorcycle world. While I don't ride anymore at this point, I feel I have a heap of riding experience. Started with a 60cc, to a 100, 175, 360, 400, 441, 750, 247, 750, some other misc tossed in, followed by a couple of built 1100s. Enduros, motocrossers, trials, cafe racers, sports. Ended my riding days by downsizing to an 850 Norton. Experience leads to competance. Today, it is typical for the first time rider to buy a showroom 600cc that will smoke the 1100s I had. It just all leads to greasey spots in the road.

Rootsy
07-31-2001, 01:40 PM
Case in point... 21, ford worker = lots of dough... brand spankin new (2 hours old) CBR 600... 120 mph, passes a car makin a left, car didn't see him kid turns... over the hood head on into telephone pole... dead instantly... that was one of my friends from HS... not a thing wrong with power and performance as long as you RESPECT it... it holds true for any performance vehicle...