PDA

View Full Version : Mounting carpet in a 22C question.

biggiefl
11-10-2011, 02:35 PM
I purchased a used carpet set from a member here for my 22C. The reason I went used is because I am not sure if I want carpet being I beach my boat and have sand, salt water and such to deal with. The carpet has minimal snaps which is fine but I was wondering "do I really need snaps?". Will the carpet stay in place w/o them? Would I be better off using commercial grade velcro instead? I hate to put in snaps then realize I prefer it w/o carpet and now have snaps or holes in my floor. I have used 3M velcro that costs $1 an INCH. You can literally mount electronics with this stuff. I was thinking it would be great and easily(or more easily) removed. I would literally stick it to the bottom of the snap and then the floor.

VetteLT193
11-10-2011, 03:03 PM
Assuming you have the square bases and one solid piece of carpet(i.e. no floor hatch hole) you don't need the snaps at all.

My brother had all of his removed and never put them back. It was like that for at least 10 years and I presume the new owner kept it the same. The carpet won't go anywhere because the cockpit is so tight even driving down the highway or running fast it wasn't affected

DonziJosh
11-10-2011, 08:25 PM
Nick,

It's just a matter of preference. We ship our carpets with snaps and Velcro tape so our customers can choose how they want to secure them (if at all). The carpet will probably lay in just fine with some Velcro for the floor hatch.

biggiefl
11-11-2011, 01:12 PM
Thanks Josh & Bob. I will try it as-is and use velcro for the hatch of course. The main reason I want to try the carpet is to deaden the engine room noise some. Without the carpet it seems like there is machinery under the nose. I noticed the same thing with my Scarab I if I removed the snap-in carpet. This is a bit worse as there is nothing under the deck like the Scarab.

PS...my hatch is a tad warped. When you step on it moves a bit. Is this common? Anyway to fix/shim it? It is the hatch, not the floor.

VetteLT193
11-14-2011, 12:25 PM
[ QUOTE=$originalposter]{$pagetext}[/QUOTE]

The carpet never seemed to do much in the way of noise, at least for me anyway. My brother's 22 had super thick carpet in it too and it didn't work to deaden noise either (he worked at a carpet place and had it custom made there).

My hatch always fit in one way better than the other. try flipping it and see if that fixes it.

biggiefl
11-14-2011, 12:44 PM
I did, it just moves the warped corner.