PDA

View Full Version : some sad news out of the key west races

mattyboy
11-09-2011, 04:25 PM
my prayers and thoughts go out to all involed

http://keysnews.com/node/35806

Offset
11-09-2011, 04:36 PM
Never like to read news like this. Very Sad. It has been a costly year in motorsports taking too many lives. Thoughts and hope to families and friends.

Buddyc
11-09-2011, 05:08 PM
Very sad, But at least they went out doing what they love!

Buddyc
11-09-2011, 09:41 PM
How long of a boat was that?

Buddyc
11-09-2011, 10:01 PM
So let me get this straight. 18000 lbs and 4800 HP... Holy moly!
Would u drive it?

Carl C
11-10-2011, 08:26 AM
So now I wonder if these canopies provide a false sense of safety and maybe they should revisit this issue. In comparison, drag boats use break-away capsules with fighter jet canopies and unlimited hydroplane capsules seem bulletproof. Maybe something can be learned from this tragedy. :(

mattyboy
11-10-2011, 09:05 AM
Carl

I think the phrase " a time and a place ......" holds true here. Yes your statement holds true things are learned and has a place but the time right now is for mourning and paying respects to the departed. So I can also see the OSO side of this as well trying to limit speculation or insensitive posts on a forum with so many members and varying views.

OFFSHORE GINGER
11-10-2011, 09:35 AM
Mattyboy very well said , and a very sad day indeed ..........................i remember Bob from his many visits at Douglas Marine R.I.P. Bob & J.T

boxy
11-10-2011, 09:43 AM
God speed Gentlemen.......

Thanks for the post Matty.

OFFSHORE GINGER
11-10-2011, 09:56 AM
Carl C , without being rude , and to set the record straight .................................... those canopies are built like a brick $hit house , and before you start your speculation you really need to get a clue of all ..........that is involved in the build of one of those canopies ..............weather it be a 2 man / 4 man or F16 fighter style ................ because saftey as always been the first and main concern in there build .

DonziJosh
11-10-2011, 11:26 AM
I think it may be sometimes hard to realize how small the industry really is, and how many of us know one another personally. Bob and his wife Sue were Donzi dealers for many years, and every time they came to the plant (in their big RV), it was a treat. They took such pleasure in putting their own personal touches on every boat they ordered. It was never a case of "give me one of these and one of those." They came in, sat down with the graphic artist, and always came up with something different. In fact, Vette's one-of-a-kind 28 ZXO was a Big Thunder creation.

Bob Morgan was a character, who loved what he did. Just a real, down to earth, fun guy, who never seemed angry, hurried, or impatient. Hanging out with him was like hanging out with your grandpa - if your grandpa was cool enough to drive 150+ mph boats well past his 70th birthday. He will absolutely be missed by many.

Knowing the guy, looking at the video makes me a little sick to my stomach. I'm not a structural engineer, but I don't think you could design a compartment to sustain that kind of impact while preserving the lives of those inside. I doubt NASA's next generation of space capsules would fare much better.

VetteLT193
11-10-2011, 11:48 AM
Wow Josh... That is crazy. I didn't put the whole thing together until you just did for me.

Watching the video for me was downright scary. Prayers of course are out to the families.

Carl C
11-10-2011, 12:05 PM
I watched that video over and over and it looks like the canopy should have held up better. And if it's not OK to talk about this now then when exactly will it be OK???? In another week no one will be discussing it and it will be just another boating fatality that we have put behind us. That is, excepting those immediately affected by it. So don't tell me not to talk about it. I am not disrespecting or blaming anyone. Just maybe there should be some standards set to help prevent this in the future.

BUIZILLA
11-10-2011, 12:26 PM
Carl, how does a failed canopy on a dead man's boat DIRECTLY AFFECT YOU??

it doesn't, and if you don't like that statement, you can go f&&k yourself

the OSO pic's were respectfully deleted so as not to adversely affect the somber mood, and re-direct un-needed pile-on comments from morbid people like you, that have no direct affect as to the design, engineering, or use thereof.

if your still that morbidly curious, then call Peter at Skater and ask him DIRECTLY, the general internet public won't know the answer so why badger everybody...

Carl C
11-10-2011, 12:36 PM
Fine. I won't say another word. Let's just all pretend this accident never happened and go about our lives. I will discuss it on a forum that is a little thicker skinned.

mattyboy
11-10-2011, 12:48 PM
Carl
again a time and a place............................

the day after the accident in a thread when people are paying their respects and rememberances of a collegue and friend to start a discussion on redesigning race boats???

do you think maybe a new thread posing your opinion in a day or so might be more appropriate?
or are you saying that your discussion only has merit on the heels of a tragedy??

I watched the video once and what I got out of it is life is fragile and I'll enjoy it and everyone in it
as much as possible.

I didn't know them but it sounds like the boating world has suffered a great loss.

RIP

biggiefl
11-10-2011, 02:22 PM
Actually it did not look that bad from the video but it was far away. What I mean is the boat looked like it held up fairly well. Many times they literally blow apart into pieces. Then again it is not how fast you were going, it is how fast you stopped moving. RIP gentlemen!

OFFSHORE GINGER
11-10-2011, 03:10 PM
Carl . i can honestly say that you can expect the same response no matter what forum you vist today .............thicker skinned or not . Give it up...................

Carl C
11-10-2011, 03:27 PM
[ QUOTE]Carl . i can honestly say that you can expect the same response no matter what forum you vist today .............thicker skinned or not . Give it up...........[/QUOTE]

Wrong answer. There is already an intelligent discussion on OSO on how to possibly prevent this type of tragedy by use of a wing or CAPSULE.

There is also a discussion on another forum in which no one has been rude and no one has told anyone to **** off.

It's an interesting and valid topic of discussion and maybe something positive can come of this.

It will obviously not be discussed here though.

PMZONER
11-10-2011, 05:16 PM
To those who personally knew these Gents, my thoughts and prayers, it is always hard to say goodbye. Know that they went out doing what they loved. my wish is to live to be 70+ and still be driving boats at 150+, what?
I think my little 22 is quick. They are now driving the biggest baddest boat in Val Halla, God Speed.:ribbon:

OFFSHORE GINGER
11-10-2011, 06:25 PM
Carl , what ever, and just what is your concern in all of this ...................because racing is racing or are you just a wannabe ( racer ) who has nothing better to bitch about today ?................Carl like i said in a previous post you really do not have a clue on what goes in to the build of those canopies ................and now you want to save the world ............idiot . Carl, once again i can see where you made your first mistake , and that being is ................. you belong to OSO , and thinking that you are involved in an intelligent discussion ...............considering most of those people on OSO are a bunch of bickering hens , and Carl you just showed all of us how intelligent you really are with this line of BULL$HIT......................

joseph m. hahnl
11-10-2011, 08:01 PM
OK boys lighten up:boggled:. Sorry to here some one was killed doing what they love.
It's a tragedy regardless if they loved it. High speed boating always has a high risk, some people live for that thrill, unfortunately some people also die . Carl don't sweat it brother. It gets rather personal to the ones who new them.
Like said, another time would make for a better discussion:yes:

Carl C
11-11-2011, 07:53 AM
Thanks Joe.

boxy
11-11-2011, 07:55 AM
[ QUOTE=Carl C

Wrong answer. There is already an intelligent discussion on OSO on how to possibly prevent this type of tragedy by use of a wing or CAPSULE.

It's the right answer Carl. The thread you are referencing is a seperate thread on board that has a few members with canopy boats. That's the place to discuss it.
Expressing condolences tothe friends and family of two men, by all accounts from people who knew them personally, were great stand up guys, is not being "thin skinned" it's about being respectful, and listening to stories from men who knew them.
Thanks Offshore Ginger and Josh.

Buddyc
11-11-2011, 08:18 AM
Come on now! No need for name calling... Carl is a good guy and a grown azz man. He has a valid question...but maybe the timing was a bit. Who among us have been guilty of that at one time or another?
It is a tragedy that these men lost thier lives, and our prayers go out to thier families and friends...As I said before, at least they went out doing what they loved... We should all be so lucky!

Carl C
11-11-2011, 08:37 AM
Thanks buddy. Guys, please quit with the piling on and hateful posts. I have already backed off. Thanks.

mattyboy
11-11-2011, 12:15 PM
Info on the services

http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/265520-funeral-arrangements-big-thunder-team.html

Carl C
11-11-2011, 04:09 PM
Fixx, I would like to discuss it more but I've got to let it go. Hope you understand.

OFFSHORE GINGER
11-11-2011, 06:16 PM
Fixx you really do not not need to quote me on anything ..............considering those canopies were built (LIKE A BRICK $HIT HOUSE) for strength and safety first, and if you need to quote me get your f**king facts straight or do you fall into the same category as Carl ? ( idiot) Fixx , i have worked on more then my share of canopies when at Skater and crewing with C-K MOTORSPORTS / Cat -Can Do- Offshore race team / Baker -eng, doing the repairs on the old Carlos n charlies X- treme , a 42 Skater along with doing the old Jelly belly gone again a 37 Talon ....... adding a four man canopy to both boats , along with assisting in the structural repair , and salvage of both boats . Fixx . just curious where did i say the canopies were not built for strength considering you do not know anything that is involved in the build , and once again another idiot who who comes to a conclusion based on pure speculation or should i say another armchair critic on the internet .............. DAM.................Fixx you piss me off .

Carl C
11-11-2011, 07:18 PM
WOW! We're all a bunch of idiots. Matty, I'm sorry this thread got so derailed. Best wishes to all directly affected by this tragedy. I hear there were a couple more bad blow overs and another racer's life is in danger. Not a good year. Very sad.

OFFSHORE GINGER
11-11-2011, 07:50 PM
Carl, the bottom line is....... you are the one who has taken this thread off - coarse considering you seem to be on a tangent about Canopy boats .........who really dosent ......know $hit about anything ..........................Carl, why do you persist on acting like a little child or BITCH .....................on this subject ?

Buddyc
11-11-2011, 07:56 PM
In the words of Rodney King... " cant we all just get along"?
FWIW, Ginger, when you call names and go off like that... It weakens any valid point or argument you may have.

OFFSHORE GINGER
11-11-2011, 08:29 PM
And back to Fixx ...............you really think you know everything ..........but really dont know $hit ,and to tell you the truth...... we will all move....... on to another job if it means more money $$$$$ And fixx, if i miss-read your post , i apologize , and with that in mind you really need to be more specific in what you are trying to say ..........CONSIDERING .........you really do not have a clue on what goes into the build of a canopy , and if you do please........ let us know ~ because Carl , just might have a clue ~ dugh............................

Carl C
11-11-2011, 09:04 PM
Artie Ginger, this is only the second time I've said this in 7 years on this forum, but fu<k you.