PDA

View Full Version : 1971 Nova resto

Craig S
11-08-2011, 01:26 PM
Well, my buddy shot the sides yesterday with Awlgrip...can't wait to see it today.
This may or maynot be the final coat on the topsides. I thought I had some old posts of what we've been doing, but anyways, finally closer to getting the painting done!

Q: What color the headlights? Green or white? I'm leaning towards green.

biggiefl
11-08-2011, 01:36 PM
White looks sharp.68595

Ghost
11-08-2011, 05:01 PM
Cool, very good to hear of the progress! Can't wait to sse some more pics.

Obviously, go with whatever you like for the docking lights, but if you are surveying the field, I vote for white. No need to try to hide them, Novas have always had eyes. Mine got filled in during the resto, but I think it's look even better with them back in.

f_inscreenname
11-09-2011, 05:57 AM
Made mine match the hull by painting the backside of the clear plastic.

Morgan's Cloud
11-09-2011, 06:54 PM
Really hard to tell at my end ..Kinda looks like Flag Blue , but it must be Aristo Blue ?

Very cool , no matter what ..

Ghost
11-09-2011, 07:20 PM
Hmmmm, I was thinking dark hunter green.

Craig S
11-10-2011, 11:06 AM
[ QUOTE=$originalposter]{$pagetext}[/QUOTE]
yep....Dark hunter green, or whatever Awlgrip calls it.

with probably a white bottom, maybe gold boot, and tan upholstery (a take off of the original colors of white and gold and tan).

JimG
11-21-2011, 09:59 AM
Very cool! Glad to see it coming along!!

Morgan's Cloud
11-21-2011, 06:47 PM
The colour combo you're heading in will be really cool .. do you still have the gold anodized rub rail ?

Craig S
11-21-2011, 08:46 PM
a negative on the rub rail. Had already been replaced by regular anodized aluminum. We are planning on keeping the "gold" trim in the boot stripe and the upholstery similar to original.

And I'm trying to figure out what to do 'bout that. Ghost has the white mould with stainless insert, and he's praising how it holds up. Looks like a good choice once I get some money together.

Craig S
03-22-2013, 12:16 PM
During March, we finally put the gray barrier coat on (Epoxy 2000 by Interlux), and rolled white awlgrip on top of that. The transition area is roughed out, as a gold boot top will schmooze at the correct place (hopefully), because I believe the original boat had gold.

You can definitely see the 25degree deep v from these pics.

Craig S
03-22-2013, 12:19 PM
About the rub rail...we sprayed the original rail (off the cleaner donor boat) in flat silver alwgrip, as we also did the welded windshield assembly. Might still look at spraying it gold...don't know. Didn't have the money or where-with-all to have it re-anodized.
Craig

Ghost
03-22-2013, 12:52 PM
Getting there now... :)

Conquistador_del_mar
03-22-2013, 01:19 PM
About the rub rail...we sprayed the original rail (off the cleaner donor boat) in flat silver alwgrip, as we also did the welded windshield assembly. Might still look at spraying it gold...don't know. Didn't have the money or where-with-all to have it re-anodized.
Craig

I think gold and dark hunter green would look awesome together - just my two cents, Bill

Morgan's Cloud
03-22-2013, 02:14 PM
I like .
The Interprotect 2000 can be tough to work with sometimes. How did you apply it ?
Rolling is easiest in my opinion but it leaves a very rough surface that could rob some speed. Brush is tiresome and it'll pull like mad over the existing surface.
Spraying = ideal , but unllikely..

I've found the Awlgrip white to be quite an effective anti-foul but it leaches green above the waterline quite noticeably. I even found it to leach in green spots under the waterline.
That's why I switched to the Petit vivid white .
Just in observation .. not trying to foist my opinion on you .. :D

Is spraying aluminium a pain in the azz , or what ?

Can't wait to see the end result !

mario
03-22-2013, 08:05 PM
like to sell that red chevy pickup in the frist set pic let me know

f_inscreenname
03-22-2013, 10:47 PM
Look at Craig! :yes:

joseph m. hahnl
03-23-2013, 07:26 AM
Looking Goood !!!!!

http://www.dreamstime.com/smiley-face-with-thumbs-up-thumb14491322.jpg

johnnywhale
03-23-2013, 08:42 AM
like to sell that red chevy pickup in the frist set pic let me know

Or the Datsun Z or the Willys or the...
Lotta interesting stuff in that yard!

Craig S
03-25-2013, 11:50 AM
Or the Datsun Z or the Willys or the...
Lotta interesting stuff in that yard!

Gary's red Apache with the mid 80s 4x4 drivetrain and 5 speed is sold.

the 240Z is now hunter green...with a sbc and od automatic. He (Gary) think's its mid 12s or better.

The Epoxy 2000 rolled well. The white Awlgrip not so well...had huge runs the next day (probably the part I was helping with!). I was sanding them out this weekend.

If it doesn't wear well, I may try rolling something else on after awhile. I don't plan on leaving the Boss in the water, anyways. And I got to get goin on this project!

The aluminum bits were also primed with interlux 2000 last year, and sprayed with a flat aluminum color of Awlgrip. The windshield assembly required filler as it was pitted and such, and even after the welding of the seams were done, needed help. But it is very strong, as we did some reinforcing.

We're getting the struts rebushed, and the shafts checked over this week.

Issue right now is the blushing of the deck...I think because (even though it was sprayed on a nice morning), the foredeck had access to moisture over the night. We're gonna have to put a temporary extension on the roof to allow us to respray. Then we can permanently install the windshield, and rub rail and such.

Craig S
05-14-2018, 05:10 AM
it runs!
Splashed last weekend. 1st time since 1994.

long to do list now.

Morgan's Cloud
05-14-2018, 05:31 AM
Damn that's nice .
So good to see another one saved and being enjoyed.

JimG
05-14-2018, 07:14 AM
That boat is beyond gorgeous! I was lucky enough to share a pier with it at Keels and Wheels. Sounds awesome, too! Those Fords are STRONG!

Ghost
05-14-2018, 02:45 PM
Congrats, Craig, she looks awesome! The Fords with the hi-teks look hot! Best 24 Sprint motorbox i’ve seen.

Been hoping to see this post from you for ages! What was it, maybe 10 years ago when we first started talking Novas? (Mine is long sold and re-sold now.). How is she running? What kind of rpm and mph are you seeing? Can’t recall which props you have, nor the hp of the engines.

Morgan's Cloud
05-14-2018, 04:45 PM
Damn , I must be getting old . I didn't even pick up on the Hi-Teks
Those Brownie Nova 24's are just the epitome of old school cool .

Fast Shafts 1
05-16-2018, 07:18 AM
Looks GREAT!!