PDA

View Full Version : Bravo nosecone test

flying tomato
11-04-2011, 04:08 PM
Alright guys (and gals maybe?),
Here is the test: Standard 95 model bravo 1 outdrive vs. same with Hydromotive nose cone.
Boat: 1995 Python (24x7) with 540cid, approx 625hp, full hyd steering, prop=26p Turbo 3 blade (not sure which model)

Baseline test: Temp 80 degrees, light wind, 6 inch chop
Results--boat runs a best of 83.2 gps (several runs)

Test 1: Purchased nosecone and was very excited about trying it out. Installed the nosecone onto the front of the drive via the instructions, however, DID NOT BLEND IN THE NOSECONE TO THE OUTDRIVE. In my usual haste I figured that the blending would not have much effect on the performace.
Results: Upon first take off (very slow) prop blew out. Prop also blew out on a corner (never happened before). Made speed run and best speed was 81 mph and boat was chine walking like CRAZY! Made another speed run just to be sure and again handling was much WORSE than without the nosecone.

Test 2: Next, I blended in the nosecone as per the instructions. Immediately I noticed the difference from test 1. The prop never blew out on any manuver. Made a few speed runs and saw a best speed of 85.5 gps.
Note: On every speed run I had to back out of the throttle due to chine walking that was getting scary. There might have been 1-2 more mph left.

I don't know if the boat just cant handle this speed??????????? Any suggestions would be appreciated.
I'm thinking that a 4 blade prop might help. I just don't have one to test that has enough pitch.

End result: Hydromotive nosecone was good for 2.3 mph (maybe more) in this test. :)

Conquistador_del_mar
11-04-2011, 06:38 PM
That sounds about right. I am not at all surprised about your results before contouring the nosecone to the drive - it is very important along with making sure the nosecone is aligned perfectly. I picked up about 2 or 3MPH with nosecones on my 36' Cigarette TRSs. Great report you gave -:yes:. Bill

Pismo
11-05-2011, 08:04 AM
Do you have hydraulic steering? If not you need it now.

Nosecones add forces forward of the steering pivot point causing just what you are experiencing.

The Hedgehog
11-06-2011, 10:00 AM
Nice report. I hear that they really start to make a difference above 80 but not all boats like them.

VetteLT193
11-08-2011, 09:43 AM
I noticed on my Minx that I could trim more with it. It seemed to hold on to the water better. However... upon over trimming the prop would also let go all at once Vs. gradually without a nose cone.