PDA

View Full Version : New Donzi Owner

jerrygiudice@yahoo.com
11-01-2011, 09:39 PM
I have a 89 Donzi Regetta that keeps getting water in the gas even if the boat doesn't go in the water. I had the boat in my driveway for 6 weeks this summer and went to go use it and the mechanic pulled 4 gallons of water out of the tank. Any clues please help.

mattyboy
11-02-2011, 08:25 AM
I would look at

1. a new gas station
2. the fuel filler and vent openings maybe allowing water in
3. the top of the tank, water from rain ,use and cleaning may drain thru the floor onto and into the tank don't know the regazza very well assuming the tank is under the floor . the top of the tank could be rotten or the seal on the sender unit could be bad.

has the tank been totally emptied when the water was found?

hope that helps good luck

Just Say N20
11-02-2011, 09:24 AM
I can suggest that if it was filled with fuel from an automotive gas station (in Michigan we are fortunate that all the marine fuel stations on the water still only have 100% gasoline, NO ethanol), the added ethanol could be the problem.

Automotive fuel has ethanol, which is very "water attracting." If allowed to sit for a period of time, not only will the alcohol attract moisture through the vent tube (cars have pressure-ized, closed type systems which prevents this), but it also causes stratification, or layering of the resultant water, alcohol and gas. The water is heaviest so it will be on the bottom of the tank, where the pick up is.

I don't know the capacity of your fuel tank, but 4 gallons of water seems like a lot, unless it is a 50+ gallon tank.

If it is going to sit for any period of time, you will have to add the blue Sta-Bil type gas additive, and I also add the HEET that comes in the yellow bottle with blue label.

I had to rebuild the carb on my Evinrude 15 on our dingy a few weeks ago. I had purchased 2.5 gallons of "automotive" gas, mixed the oil, and let it sit all summer, as we didn't use the dingy. I left the vent on the cap open, so the tank wouldn't over contract/expand from the Michigan summer temperature fluxuations. I went to start the engine at the end of the summer, and nothing. Turned out there was about 2 quarts of water in the bottom of the tank, which was enough that the pick up only got water. Carbs don't like ingesting a diet of water, and engines don't run on it either.

This could very likely be what you are seeing.

pipnit
11-02-2011, 11:22 AM
First off, sorry for you problems, that's a real PITA!

I hate ethanol. I lunched one of my 2t motors (dirt bike) this summer during our heat wave due to phase separation. Phase separation occurs when there is more than 3.75 tablespoons of water. That said four gallons of water is a TON of water if it's to be attributed to the hygroscopic qualities of e10 fuel. I would suspect that you pumped it in from the gas station IF it is gas related.

Years ago, I was driving my 18' Donzi and I did a tight donut out on the water. Shortly after, my boat died and I couldn't get her up and running again. I started pulling massize amounts of water off the bottom of the tank. I too, figured I had pumped in some garbage fuel but the report at the fuel dock said their fuel was clean. I scratched my head for about three beers until I realized that during my turn, I had submerged the fuel vent and it sucked up over 7 gallons in one 360 degree turn. Whoops!

Go get some fuel from the same place you bought it for your boat and put a couple ounces in a glass jar with a lid on top. Let it sit for a couple of days and don't touch it. After at least two days, check the bottom of the jar for some water. If it's there, that's your culprit.

pipnit
11-02-2011, 11:26 AM
fyi, here is my 2t piston (ktm300). I was doing a WFO run after some tight single track when the bike evidently sucked up a ton of water from my tank, lost lubricity and tore the skirt right off which then fell in to the big end. Oh joy...

http://dunesman.com/photo/gallery/IMG_B5F6E5EF-BEFB-41A9-94A5-3981391E90C3_lg.jpg

biggiefl
11-02-2011, 01:00 PM
4 gallons did not get there from ethanol absorbing air moisture. Either you got a crapload of fuel or your tank has a major leak on top and water sits on it it until it leaks in.

pipnit
11-02-2011, 04:08 PM
[ QUOTE=$originalposter]{$pagetext}[/QUOTE]

It might have come from a 5,000 gallon tank that had phase separation occur. But I think you're guess is more on track.