PDA

View Full Version : tire gauge

gero1
10-31-2011, 02:33 AM
i have 3 tire gauges(air pres) and none of them read the same. i need to get a good one that works. what do you have and where to get one???

gmcars10
10-31-2011, 06:42 AM
I never use ones that have the slide that pops out. I use the ones with the flexible hose and round needle gauge. It has the little reset button on the side. I have found theese to be accurate and consistant. They are at Canadian Tire in Canada and am sure you would find them at NAPA, PEP Boys or even Walmart.

woobs
10-31-2011, 07:00 AM
Tire gauges will vary with manufacturer, age, weather and general treatment. The actual reading on the gauge is not as important as the consistancy of the reading. Your gauge will give you a rough idea of where you are then adjust pressure from there to suit your vehicles needs. Unless you are fully loaded (people and cargo) your tires should not be at maximum inflation.

Actually, after working for a tire manufacturer for over 15 years I can tell you the gauges that slide are good (and preferred). But only if you get the ones you can adjust (not cheap ones). Most truckers maintaince shops will have a "Master Gauge" where you can calibrate your gauge. Always use the same "master".

When I was racing I used a gauge similar to the one described in the previous post. These are good too however, most dial types cannot be calibrated. Mine was made by MOROSO and also has a relief button to help set your pressure. You can probably get a good one at a racers shop..Summit? or places like Canadian Stock Car (CSC) in Canada

I would never buy a gauge at Canadian Tire. ...and stay away from digital gauges as they don't seem to last

Tidbart
10-31-2011, 07:11 AM
Take your pick.

http://www.jegs.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/KeywordSearchCmd?Ne=1+2+3+13+1147708+1147708&Ntt=tire+gauge&Ntk=all&langId=-1&storeId=10001&N=4294963783&catalogId=10002&Nty=0&itemPerPage=90

maddad
10-31-2011, 08:24 AM
I've found that the gauges that can read below 5lbs also are the better/more expensive ones.