PDA

View Full Version : New motorand drive for 1994 Sweet Sixteen

Le 3ieme Moo
10-28-2011, 08:28 PM
This has the original 190hp/Alpha drive. Old and tired. I'm more interested in hole shot / acceleration than top speed. Suggestions for engine / outdrive setup? Caveats of various options?

Thanks muchly and sincerely.

Le 3

younger
10-28-2011, 09:41 PM
Best bang for the buck 350 sbc, 300hp or so. Run the alpha with hd bearings and gears in a 1.47 ratio. This will give reliability and respectable performance.

tjags
10-29-2011, 06:46 AM
Great question! I've been thinking of doing the same thing. Could I use my cobra drive w/ a sbc engine?

BUIZILLA
10-29-2011, 07:58 AM
Great question! I've been thinking of doing the same thing. Could I use my cobra drive w/ a sbc engine?

absolutely, but the fwd mount moves fwd about 4"

Just Say N20
10-29-2011, 11:32 AM
I have a 1967 Ski-Sporter with a 350 Chevy through a Volvo 290 drive with trim. A friend at our yacht club has a 1990 Sweet 16 with a 4.3 V6 with a 2 bbl running through an OMC Cobra drive.

He is running a 21" stainless prop. I am running a 24" Volvo Ultra stainless prop.

My boat is maybe 3 - 4 mph faster on top than his. However, acceleration isn't even close. My boat is a dragster compared to his.

At rest, his boat sits almost level in the water. Mine sits with the transom about 3" lower, so the nose points up.

He can travel faster in no wake zones because his boat runs flat. If I try and keep up with him at no wake speeds, my back end starts to dig a hole (pre-plane off) and makes a wake. I only mention this because it is annoying. We have a 10 minute NO WAKE ride from/to the Yacht Club to get to the Lake. This also comes into play when in the channels from inland lakes to Lake Michigan.

His boat runs flatter at WOT, where mine tends to run nose up, even with a Grizz/Solas prop, although not as much as with the Ultra.

His boat is MUCH easier to drive at WOT than mine. Although there are drive differences, and mine might have a very, very slight bit more play because of the Volvo "helmet" steering arrangement, I think it is because his boat runs nice and flat, and is very controllable.

tjags
10-29-2011, 01:36 PM
N2O-
I have the same set up and year as your buddy. I sit almost level in the water as well. I'm running a 23 pitch prop which is great top end but struggles out of the hole, especially with a load. Trying a 21 next summer.

If you had your choice would you stay with your set up or change to something else?

Just Say N20
10-29-2011, 07:23 PM
If you had your choice would you stay with your set up or change to something else?

If you are addressing this to me, I am changing things. When I contracted to have my engine built, I asked for 375 hp. While they built a great engine, it was not what I wanted with respect to hp. So, I just sold that engine, and and building another engine that will be more like I originally wanted.

My friend's 16, with the 4.3 V6 running the 21" prop doesn't have any trouble getting on plane at all.

Le 3ieme Moo
10-30-2011, 11:30 PM
[ QUOTE=$originalposter]{$pagetext}[/QUOTE]

It has been suggested that I switch to a bravo drive for increased bottom end performance.