PDA

View Full Version : Trimcylinder fix up

axelkloehn
10-27-2011, 03:57 AM
I reworked my trimcylinder last weekend and wanted to mount it again and while installing the long hose I found out that the thread inside the cylinder is ruined, so there is no chance to tighten the hose fitting anymore...any recommendation how to deal with this issue without buying a new housing? Are there helicoils for this type of brakesystem-like installations?
I have a spare Bravo-cylinder, but the housing is just a bit longer than the one I have installed. The pushrod length is the same but than I have a short and a longer housing installed. Looks weird, I know, but does this function? Why are there two different lengths of cylinder-housings?

Thanks, Axel

MOP
10-27-2011, 05:40 AM
A threaded insert is far better than a Hilicoil, Google threaded inserts. You will need the kit which has bottoming taps and the insertion tool. You could also inquire at local machine shops for an estimate to have them do it.

joseph m. hahnl
10-29-2011, 12:30 PM
I found out that the thread inside the cylinder is ruined, so there is no chance to tighten the hose fitting anymore...any recommendation how to deal with this issue without buying a new housing?

If there is a nipple flare for the tube in the center of the threaded hole. drilling it out and retapping it requires the drill and tap to be relieved in the center to protect the nipple. note the difference in these two flares. the one on the right "a double flare" is designed to eliminate the need for the nipple in the center of the threaded hole. This method requires an extra step on the flaring tool,but would allow you to drill and tap with out any mods to the tools.

http://volksweb.relitech.com/tech/brakeln/flare6.jpg

axelkloehn
10-29-2011, 05:46 PM
thanks, sounds like I'd better get it to a shop and let them do that for me,

anyone knows why there are two different length of cylinders? And it is such a little difference you almost don't notice... just if you have them lying side by side?