PDA

View Full Version : Cockpit cover in Washer?

biggiefl
10-24-2011, 02:30 PM
My cover is sunbrella and has some mold on the inside. I tried using their instructions with a mild bleach and water and just scrub & rinse....not too great. I was thinking the washing machine on gentle like I do with my car's floormats. Spray the cover down with some stuff, stick in the washer for 20 mins and it should be mint. Any thoughts? What kind of "stuff" did you use to clean it with? My floormats I mixed Oxyclean, Simple green and a tad of shout.

zelatore
10-24-2011, 02:42 PM
I've done it before with mixed results. Getting rid of mold is just this side of impossible it seems. I have an enclosure on my 32 that just refused to let go of the mold on the underside no mater what I hit it with.

The only thing I'd caution against is to not use bleach. It'll likely kill the stitching on the cover.

silverghost
10-24-2011, 05:43 PM
Try some white vinegar in an old pump spray bottle.
Spray directly on the mold spots.
Then rince after 15min. with cold water.

Vinegar kills off the mold by the high acid PH change without spoiling the fabric.

I never used the washing machine.
It might work on gentle agitation cycle ?

Caution:
For your personal safety~
Make sure your wife ,or mother, is not around when you do this .

Morgan's Cloud
10-24-2011, 06:07 PM
Caution:
Make sure your wife ,or mother is not around when you do this .

LOL ... that reminds me of Phil's discovery about putting his breather/flame arrestor in the dish washing machine !

My white sunbrella cover for the St T is probably a good bit larger than your cover , so for that reason I have to take it to a commercial laundromat to be washed , and they aint cheap either . Still , it will come back with existing stains, albiet a lot fainter.

I always insist on no bleaches and mild detergents and I'll still rinse it off again when I get it home and hang it up on the line to dry. At that point all you can hope for is the sun to bleach it out a bit more.

Of course , after one run through the washer your semi water proof cover will now be porous to rain , but at least it will breathe nicely .

Conquistador_del_mar
10-24-2011, 06:45 PM
I have had some good results using a power washer on some materials - like covers. It seems to get into the crevices of the fabric fairly well. Bill

FISHIN SUCKS
10-24-2011, 09:01 PM
I like the white vinegar idea, may have to try that one. I have used woolite in a large washing machine, gentle, smells good, and then I spray a waterproof can of stuff that you use on tents to keep from leaking. Mine is also sunbrella.

VetteLT193
10-25-2011, 06:57 AM
http://www.sunbrella.com/cleaning/marine-tops-covers.php

I have washed mine. They come out 1000 times cleaner. Do not dry them. I snap them back on the boat for the final dry so they don't shrink. After that, a fresh coat of sunbrella 303 fabric guard.

biggiefl
10-26-2011, 11:35 AM
I agree with Bobby's method but want to know if anyone else has done this as I hate to ruin a $600 cover.

Sunbrella tells you to use bleach. Sunbreall is not like cotton fabric, it is a color infused something moreother like plastic. The stitching is not thread so the bleach will not hurt it. My stitching is some Gore-tek material that does not rot. Here is what Sunbrella says:

Sunbrella fabric does not promote mildew growth, however, mildew may grow on dirt and other foreign substances that are not removed from the fabric. To clean mildew, or other stubborn stains:

Eight ounces (one cup) of chlorine bleach.
Two ounces (1/4 cup) of mild soap and/or detergent.
One gallon of water.
Clean with soft bristle brush.
Allow mixture to soak into the fabric for up to 15 minutes.
Rinse thoroughly until all soap residue is removed.
Air dry.
Repeat if necessary.
Re-treatment of fabric for water and stain resistance will be necessary.
View the Sunbrella fabric Stain chart (http://www.donzi.net/forums/stain-chart.php).
Remember to protect the area around your Sunbrella fabric if using a bleach solution. Carpet or other fabrics that are not Sunbrella may have an adverse reaction to the bleach. If a boat cover is suitable in size for a washing machine, these steps should be followed:

Use mild soap and/or detergent.
For heavier stains add 1 cup of bleach to wash.
Wash and rinse in cold water.
Air dry. Never apply heat to Sunbrella.
Re-treatment for water and stain resistance will be necessary after machine washing.

Morgan's Cloud
10-26-2011, 11:44 AM
My original post I am basically asking if anyone has done this and what have been your results...sorry if I was unclear

I thought your original question was perfectly clear and the responses were correct for the question.

Now you're repeating the question ? Or am I missing something in the translation ....

biggiefl
10-26-2011, 01:10 PM
Nope...I must have missed something as you are correct. Thread edited. Carry-on!

Hey at least the quote function is working again.