PDA

View Full Version : 28 ZX Blisters

VetteLT193
10-24-2011, 01:40 PM
My 28 ZX O has blisters around the hatch area. I let the hatch open over the weekend on both days and they are already subsiding. But, how can I prevent this? They aren't all that noticeable but I certainly don't want them to get worse. They are all around the area where the sunpad touches the fiberglass... They seem worse on the starboard side. It could be because the hatch is slightly pushed that way or it could be the fact that it sits leaning to that side in the driveway. It normally sits inside, but has been outside for the last few weeks.

RickSE
10-24-2011, 05:21 PM
Are they in the paint, gel or both?

VetteLT193
10-25-2011, 06:59 AM
They are in the white gel. If you look at a 28 from the stern there is a fiberglass piece to each side of the sunpad. It's on those pieces on the inside. They are only painted on the tops and sides, not on the inside.

VetteLT193
10-26-2011, 07:01 AM
I'll see if I can grab a pic tonight. it's not orange peel for sure. I don't think it is cleared there either but it could be so I'll recheck.

gcarter
10-26-2011, 08:35 AM
It sounds to me like osmotic blisters caused by the moisture held by the sun pad.
The solution would be to not leave the sun pad on for any length of time.
The only other solution would be to strip the gel to the substrate, seal w/a thin epoxy, prime w/some epoxy primer (maybe from System Three), and then paint to match the surrounding gel.

VetteLT193
10-26-2011, 08:43 AM
The problem is the sunpad is integrated into the hatch. It's not possible to remove.

I'm really curious if I'm the only ZX owner to have this problem. My boat is usually stored indoors so it's not like it's abused. :bonk:

jamiller
10-26-2011, 10:13 AM
I have a 96 18' white classic, sat in the water one year and blistered from the waterline down. also had a 24' baja outlaw that spent every summer of its life in the water, never a hint of a blister. Luck-o-the draw.
If its under the sunpad or below the waterline ya cant see it anyway so smile and nod and act like it's not even there.:yes:

Best wishes, John