PDA

View Full Version : Sony factory stereo not working

VetteLT193
10-24-2011, 12:55 PM
My factory stereo in the ZX (sony) is doing funky stuff. It worked fine in Sarasota. I got in the boat last week and it didn't work at all. Now it's working but does not response to volume adjustments or any of the remote functions. Anyone experience this before?

zelatore
10-24-2011, 01:16 PM
I haven't seen that sort of thing specifically, but I doubt there's much 'fixing' it. Best I would suggest is killing power to it totally (shut off perkos and memory pwr supply - should be a seperate breaker/fuse) for a minute or two then seeing if it 'reboots' correctly. If so, I wouldn't exactly call it fixed but at least it'll be good to go for a while. If not you didn't spend anything but a little time, so nothing to loose.

Stereos like that are rarely repaired. Simpler/cheaper to just replace the head unit. Off hand I'd guess that's a $3-400 head unit although I don't actually know what model it is. Of course you can install any brand you want, but if you go with the same thing it will be a plug and play deal that won't take much thinking.

Carl C
10-24-2011, 01:21 PM
Clean all of the contacts for the removable faceplate.

VetteLT193
10-24-2011, 01:31 PM
It may have been expensive at one point, but I think I just found the same model for $88 online, so it's not going to kill me.

I'll try the contact cleaning next. Also... Power cycles to it with the battery switches but it does have the memory override. Maybe I'll try killing that too by pulling the inline fuse.

glashole
10-24-2011, 01:33 PM
you might try to remove the remote wire from the back of the head unit

had one do funny things like you are finding
once i unhooked it the radio worked fine
i cleaned everything and put it together and it all worked again

zelatore
10-24-2011, 02:33 PM
I didn't realize it had a removable face. In that case, I'd definately start with Carl's suggestion.

joseph m. hahnl
10-24-2011, 04:38 PM
There should be a small round reset button, that will reset it to factory settings.
On some there is also a Demo mode button. I had Sony that lost its mind would only flash and wouldn't do anything except load and unload a CD. Personally I steer away from Sony as there quality has hit rock bottom. I prefer Kenwood more bang for the buck, better name, better quality.
Make sure what ever you get it has a coated board for marine use.:yes:

VetteLT193
10-25-2011, 07:01 AM
I'll try all of those suggestions. It is a Sony marine unit... it's also in the cabin so it usually doesn't get damp. However, everything seemed damp after sarasota. It rained every day and it was just unusually damp so that might have something to do with it.

I've been wanting to add a remote to the swim platform area anyway so this might be a good excuse to do it now:wink:

rsg69cpa
10-25-2011, 11:00 AM
I had a similar problem with my Sony h/u and the Sirius module this past summer. New boat, no radio or XM. Long story short and several calls with SONY Tech squad, Donzi had installed an incompatible Sirius module with my 2008 head unit.
H/U did begin to function my removing face plate, removing actual h/u and unplugging/replugging all connections.
Sirius module was a complete re-do with various sources and a brand new Best Buy in Marquette, MI.
Donzi did offer to refund my out-of-pocket for the Sirius faux-pau ath the factory, but that was before October.

p.s. SONY will provide you with a re-built h/u for around $100-ish after the unit's one-year warranty expires.

CHACHI
10-25-2011, 11:57 AM
Careful with the contact cleaner.

Acetone based cleaners can destroy some plastics.

Ken

VetteLT193
10-25-2011, 12:16 PM
Thanks for the info. I wonder if the sony tech support (or anyone else) can tell me if the Sony remote will work along side the CPS remotes the factory installed.

I want to move the CPS remote on the dash to the swim platform area and add a 3rd remote to the Dash that is a real Sony remote with the LCD display. no one has been able to tell me if the two kinds of remotes will work together and I don't want to buy 3 remotes.

rsg69cpa
10-25-2011, 01:23 PM
but I had to narrow the issues down to one or two. otherwise, i would have been a hardware swap exercise. you will want the advanced tech support.