PDA

View Full Version : Oil change pump

brwn234
10-19-2011, 04:21 PM
I'm trying to find a new pump to do oil changes with on my 7.4mpi. If I use the pumps that attache to the threads on the end of the dipstick will I remove the same amount of oil? It doesnt seem like it extends into the pan as far as a tube through the tube. I'm trying to find an affordable alternative to buying an expensive extractor.

silverghost
10-19-2011, 05:43 PM
The engine's existing dipstick outer tube in most cases will not reach to the bottom of the oil pan to pump out much of your engine's oil.

I have always used the Jabsco brand brass oil change hand plunger pump which comes with a very thin tube that will go inside the dipstick tube down to the bottom of the oil pan.
This should suck out 98% of all the old engine oil.
These pumps are very inexpensive and are sold at most marine supply stores like West Marine etc.

Better Yet~
Fit your engine's oil pan drain plug outlet with an oil drain kit & hose set-up.

Morgan's Cloud
10-19-2011, 05:47 PM
Being anal about oil changes is a curse , but I know we have a lot of company on here.
Up to the time that I got the 502 with its dipstick pumpout , I always had engines with the ole drain screw and you just know that you can get almost everything out with that method.

I use a simple brass bodied jabsco hand pump now and it has two options available.
1) Direct attachment to the dipstick tube. This I use for the initial pumpout until it can pick up no more.
2) A smaller pickup hose that slides down inside the dipstick tube and contacts the sump pan. I finish the job with this and can get another pint or so.

When the oil is hot it's remarkeably efficient and quick.

(And inexpensive !)

@ SG .. I swear your post was not showing yet when I composed mine ... Does anyone hear an echo in here ? haha)

Tidbart
10-20-2011, 07:17 AM
I have been using the Jabsco, Porta-Quick for several years. Worth every penny. Pulls oil out of the dipstick tube in about 2 minutes. Clean and quick.

I used that brass pump years ago and the thing leaked all over the place. Sucked.

After the rebuild on the 502, a few years ago, I did an oil change with the pump. Then I pulled the drain plug on the pan to see what was left. I swear there was not more than an ounce or two left in the pan. I was expecting a lot more.

B