PDA

View Full Version : Bad Wood

Buddyc
10-17-2011, 05:52 PM
I was working on the hull today. After the weekend I was looking at Mr. Carters resto and trying to figure out the best way to attach the hull to the deck. The wood is in real bad shape. I really cant believe they only used 1/4" Lattice to hold these boats together. Any ideas? Should I just reglass a new piece of pressure treated in its place? Any ideas would be appriciated.

gcarter
10-17-2011, 06:17 PM
Buddy, I don't even like the wood strips because I don't like to use wood screws.
You could go back w/strips as it would be easier. After all, the original might be older than you are.
Anyway, I like to through bolt the joint, and it's easy to do except for the cockpit sides where you can't reach.
If it were me and the original strips had to be removed, maybe lay some strips of 1708 in there, again, everywhere except for the cockpit side area.
It's pretty easy to through bolt, all you need is a friend to halp.

gcarter
10-17-2011, 06:24 PM
I probably wouldn't use pressure treated as it might affect bonding.
I'd epoxy it in also. Just the joint of wood and existing glass. That way you can still use cloth over the wood as Donzi originally did.

Buddyc
10-17-2011, 06:32 PM
I really do like the idea of bolting it in. In working on automobiles, I used alot of "U nuts" They worked well and stayed in place. Thing is you cant get them in stainless

gcarter
10-17-2011, 06:36 PM
Buddy, maybe you missed this thread....

http://www.donzi.net/forums/showthread.php?66452-Fastening-deck-to-hull

The TEE nuts are as good, but you do have to have wood for them to seat.

Buddyc
10-17-2011, 06:41 PM
I did see that. Actually read it over yesterday. I like the way your edge is at least twice as thick as stock. After tearing apart the origional setup, I would rather not use wood. Are the bolt heads shallow enough to fit under your rub rail?

gcarter
10-17-2011, 06:46 PM
I would definately add some more glass where the wood was, at least a couple of courses.
Yes, the flat head countersunk screws had plenty of meet to seat in.

gcarter
10-17-2011, 07:43 PM
Buddy, here's a picture of the Minx w/the joint screws in place. I used most of the original holes. I think the the wood screws were #10, so I enlarged them to clearance for 1/4". I had to enlarge the countersink quite a bit to make sure the screws were completely flush.

Buddyc
10-18-2011, 07:06 AM
Thanks Fixx... But I have no idea what box tube is.. :confused:

Pismo
10-18-2011, 07:14 AM
[ QUOTE=$originalposter]{$pagetext}[/QUOTE]

LOTS of work but it does sound good...

gcarter
10-18-2011, 07:18 AM
What Mike said about the possible interference between the rail screws and the joint screws is very important.
In some areas, you might want to re-space the joint screw holes for better spacing w/the rail screw holes.
There's nothing sacred about the existing holes, do what you need to do.

Just Say N20
10-18-2011, 07:41 AM
I went kind of stupid, but with 51 hours of run time in Lake Michigan, not one screw head has even budged.

Behind the cockpit, where you can't reach, I used 1/4" aluminum, rather than 1/8" so the screw would have something more to hold on to.

Each hole was drilled, tapped, and screwed in using blue locktite, then a nylon lock nut tightened on the back, inside the hull.

http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c111/streb2005/AluminumDeckJointInstS.jpg

Buddyc
10-19-2011, 06:46 PM
So Fixx... Let me get this straight. Beef up the edge with more glass. then glass in or 5200 the steel tubing. Would predrilling work or would they have to be tapped also?

RickSE
10-20-2011, 03:00 PM
Here's another interesting material that might be of use.

Marine HDPE (http://www.curbellplastics.com/technical-resources/pdf/seaboard-sellsheet-curbell.pdf#search="hdpe")

We use the regular HDPE at work all the time. This stuff is strong, fairly light and inexpensive.

Buddyc
10-20-2011, 07:19 PM
Im sorry, Dont understand. Website didnt point to specifics:confused: