PDA

View Full Version : old Volvo drives can break

maddad
10-17-2011, 03:43 PM
At least I think so. I've got habit of, after the boat is flushed rinsed and the drive is raised and on it's bracket, checking all the steering connections and spinning the prop and checking for end play in the shaft. The last few times out I felt something was odd, and by now there is a loud growl from the upper housing when the prop is turned. There is no extra effort needed to turn it, and it feels smooth at the prop, but a hand on the upper will feel the growling also.
Any of the old volvo guys have an idea on what I'm going to find when I take this apart? I'm going to add that over the last few weeks, when shifting into gear, the rpms would drop lower than normal, as if the engine had a load on it by towing something heavy. Speeds at rpm points haven't changed and it will still go as fast as I want to push it.
Oh well, this is why I've been collecting aq parts and legs when I get the chance. Now is the time to come up with a "a" ratio pinion gear.
Mike

Conquistador_del_mar
10-17-2011, 05:11 PM
Ouch! I am guessing that you have any parts you might need, but if you need an upper gear set just let me know. Bill

maddad
10-17-2011, 05:59 PM
Thanks Bill. Yes, I've got an upper or two around.

MOP
10-17-2011, 07:17 PM
If you are lucky and have not run it much since it got noisy, change out the bearing behind the yoke. If you have run it hard you may have galled the gears, pull the cap and take a peek!

maddad
10-18-2011, 11:56 AM
Thanks for the input guys. Because this growling happens when I spin the prop, Fix may be right about the intermediate. I don't think the yoke and it's bearings turn without the motor running. I'm trying to get it by the garage to yank the leg off. I'll take pics and share exactly whats going on in there. This gives me a chance to create a rebuilt drive with a reliable reverse lock pawl and maybe a pinion gear with an extra tooth.
Mike

MOP
10-18-2011, 07:16 PM
The intermediate does not move when you turn the prop, it only turns when the engine is running.

maddad
10-18-2011, 07:23 PM
Thanks Phil.

MOP
10-18-2011, 07:29 PM
So when are you going to pop the top off??????????

maddad
10-18-2011, 08:28 PM
I know I could poke around while it's still on the boat, but I'm going to wait till I get the leg or whole boat into the garage this weekend. Among other things, I'm determined to have a dependable lock down for when I hit reverse. Less pucker while docking near all the High$$$ boats at Claudio's.

MOP
10-18-2011, 10:16 PM
Where are you tomorrow? Give me a call in the AM I am off tomorrow.

mattyboy
10-21-2011, 08:14 PM
Mike,

spoke to Kenny today the 250 1.3 he has is for sale , it is complete fresh paint only missing the shift cover, I told him you might be interested asking 1K
let me know

i can take pics