PDA

View Full Version : blackhawk

craigdskilling
10-15-2011, 07:20 PM
How much hp can a bh take.thinking of a pro charger for my 18bh that has 415hp.how much more hp do you think the pro charger will give to a healthy 383.they say 50/80% more:crossfing:.I really dont think that.so if that being true that should put me at what hp.thanks craig

MOP
10-16-2011, 12:15 PM
IMO just pumping more ponies without raising the X you are looking for a problem, until you get your gear case fully clear of the water you will encounter more and more stern lift a speed increases. The point will come where you will get unintended bow steer, that is a very freaky thing at high speed. continuing with your current power but raising the X to 17-1/2 will eliminate that condition and add 4-6MPH. It is a shame none of the experimenters got to see Steve's 18 run, stock 300hp Merc it ran 79 at its best. You guys are not much faster with a lot more power! With the power you guys are making you could go a lot faster and ride on rail road tracks with excellent control. Doncig went the power route roughly 500hp and only went a few MPH faster than Steve's 300hp 18, Do surely would have made close three digits setup correctly. I can more than understand not wanting to mod the boat and build a raised hatch, but you will never achiev the full benefit of the drive and end up with edgy handling at WOT.

craigdskilling
10-16-2011, 02:35 PM
MOP i have found a guy and we are going to work on that this winter.the guy builds tuff boats and cant wait to work on the 18bh.He wants to raise the drive then add strikes under the boat to get more of the boat out should be interesting.he has 28ft that has a 502efi stock that runs 97mlp with there hull.tuff marine pretty cool.

glashole
10-17-2011, 07:39 AM
i had always heard the blackhawks are good for 500 hp

obviously if driven correctly you can push alot more through them

if driven incorrectly you can wreck it with alot less hp

blackboat
10-17-2011, 11:58 AM
How about a 20 foot Cig with a V10 Ilmor and a Blackhawk

VetteLT193
10-17-2011, 12:40 PM
There are XR gearsets available

MOP
10-17-2011, 08:33 PM
I would do a lot of thinking about adding strakes, do some research before you commit to fooling around with the bottom. IMO adding strakes may make the boat run flat that will hurt top end. The early Donzi's had full strakes, they shortened them on all models that should tell you something.

younger
10-17-2011, 09:09 PM
Craig, Mop is right on with the strakes, your not in a 30' boat and you are not requiring lift in the stern. If you are going to spend the cash raise the x. As far as the power the bh will handle more then the sbc will put on it. The casting is stronger than any bravo, and has steel tower to stabilize the upper gear set. The weak like is the vert. shaft. Max Machine Worx makes a strong replacement. The lower already runs strait cut gears. The only other mod would be to put xr strait cut grears in the upper. Did you run the new props. Let me know what you are doing, as I was under the bh 16 today taking some measurements. Looking for a few mph's.

blackhawk
10-18-2011, 05:15 PM
How about a 20 foot Cig with a V10 Ilmor and a Blackhawk

Damn!!!

PMZONER
10-18-2011, 05:34 PM
Guys are still breathing life into these drives, working on a rebuild of my second drive, If the case is repairable then I'm in, nice to have a spare.

craigdskilling
10-18-2011, 07:30 PM
Younger I could have them by next week.I still have the boat ready to go till Nov,just put the heater under the hatch to keep it warm.My father in law works for easy heat and gave me one of there 110v plug in heater that has magnets on them and heat up to 260f and draws no hydro that you put on the bottom of the oil pan and keep's everthing warm.I might get out with the guy on sat,he seems pretty pumped.He was a 18 donzi he said that did 60 and liked it but cant wait to see how it will handle at 80.I will re think the strakes,but i hope can give me good price on raising the drive.I wish i could it my self just not confidant do take that on.I wish I lived in Kingston.MOP thanks for your advice I really do believe you are right all the time.:)

younger
10-19-2011, 08:04 PM
Craig if you lived in Kingston you would have to quit you job, the work would be Donzi work. Keen to hear how those props work.