PDA

View Full Version : Sea Strainer Saved Me Today!

Carl C
10-10-2011, 06:07 PM
Well my new sea strainer saved me from a tow when I sucked up a bunch of shells and weeds after straying out of a channel. This was the first time I had to open my "bling" strainer on the water. I got a few gallons in the bilge but it wasn't too hard of a job. Then once the water was flowing I got a big gob of seaweed in there and had to do it again! It's amazing what these Imco lowers can suck up. Anyway, I would have clogged my whole fresh water system if not for the strainer. Lake St. Clair was hazy and foggy today but still had a good run. I raced and easily beat a healthy sounding 27 (24) Fountain. That was the highlight of the day :). Brown's Bar was closed. That was the low part of the day :(. What does this buoy mean?
http://i763.photobucket.com/albums/xx275/CARLC222/Pictures571Medium.jpg

ralph crocker
10-10-2011, 06:37 PM
Strike out!!!! If you go there. Glad all is OK. I had the Magnum out Sunday,beautiful and lots of boats.

mattyboy
10-10-2011, 08:37 PM
i believe the side you can't see has the ROC on it

Carl C
10-10-2011, 09:04 PM
OK, I wasn't aware of any hazard there but I was no where near it. That was 18x zoom. I forgot to mention that I saw what I think was a ZRC. It said "Ilmor" real big on the side. I think it was red. I thought about turning around but quickly came back to reality.....:lookaroun:

mattyboy
10-11-2011, 07:18 AM
Carl,

I was making a joke. the size of the bouy and the size of the letter K, ROCK wouldn't fit and if it was some kind of hazard marker or regulatory bouy it would have an orange diamond, triangle or circle on it. I would imagine it is somekind of location or "mile" marker

Carl C
10-11-2011, 07:44 AM
[ QUOTE=$originalposter]{$pagetext}[/QUOTE]

lol, stupid me didn't even get the joke! I'm sure you are right. There is no hazard there.

Dr. David Fleming
10-13-2011, 12:26 AM
Carl,

Local Coast Guard inform me that these white pylon buoys have camera's hidden in them. Homeland Security has some huge building in the metro Detroit area where they continually monitor the waterfront. I have seen them every mile or so down the Lake St. Clair west shore. Be sure to smile and wave as you go by them.

BUIZILLA
10-13-2011, 06:15 AM
Local Coast Guard inform me that these white pylon buoys have camera's hidden in them. Homeland Security has some huge building in the metro Detroit area where they continually monitor the waterfront. if an Xray machine can't shoot through PVC pipe, a camera damm sure ain't gonna do it either...

they could have underwater sonar monitoring the enemy submarine's though (to continue the superstition thought).... but those sub's have to go through some pretty good locks to get that far..

Carl C
10-13-2011, 07:00 AM
Some of the cams are easy to spot, others I'm sure not so easy. That's why I pee off the Canadian side...
http://i763.photobucket.com/albums/xx275/CARLC222/Pictures208Medium.jpg
http://i763.photobucket.com/albums/xx275/CARLC222/Pictures204Medium.jpg

dsparis
10-13-2011, 08:24 AM
The seagull is the camera, duh.

mattyboy
10-13-2011, 08:37 AM
the old maxwell smart hidden camera in the seagull trick. I knew it all along.

roadtrip se
10-13-2011, 09:27 AM
is for sale on the OSO classifieds, C. And it is local. Not a comp. All red with BIG "Ilmor" lettering on the sides. I am sure the engines are completely stock, considering it is an Ilmor test bed.

Dr DF, you are on your own on the white buoy, cameras are everywhere, theory, but who cleans the lense when the sea gull, scores a bulls eye? Do people stop
and do their "duty"?

maddad
10-13-2011, 10:41 AM
As I read matty's post, I hear Max's voice saying it.

mattyboy
10-13-2011, 10:46 AM
[ QUOTE=$originalposter]maddad
As I read matty's post, I hear Max's voice saying it.
{$pagetext}[/QUOTE]

I am sure Carl took the pic with his shoe phone/camera.

:yes:

Carl C
10-13-2011, 11:21 AM
Funny stuff, yes the Ilmor ZR was sweet. I like the cam in the fake gull theory; Maybe that's why his head was slowly rotating... http://i367.photobucket.com/albums/oo112/thewickedchild/Tin_foil_hat___Updated_by_Mirz123.gif

dsparis
10-13-2011, 01:58 PM

olredalert
10-13-2011, 07:46 PM
-----I have a friend who is a volunteer water sheriff on occasion on Lake St.Clair. Along with his buds, he was invited to come in and check out the "home security" home base. He and the other first timers were amazed at the lack of knowledge shown by the people that were on duty (at least) that day. Millions of dollars spent and nobody there knew how to work anything,,,,,,really!!!......I am not kidding.......Bill S

Sweet Cheekz
10-14-2011, 07:20 PM
What I cant figure out is that every time Carl shows a pic the water looks like a mirror and the two times I have been there this summer its been rough as snot.

Parnell

smidgen too
12-01-2011, 06:33 PM

On Lake St Clair they are markers for the blow boater to race around. :nilly:

Carl C
12-01-2011, 06:56 PM
Ah, snail boat race markers. :)

Dr. David Fleming
12-01-2011, 11:49 PM
Often wondered what effect it would be to hit one of these markers at speed at night? I have stoped to examine them and they are spaced regularly up and down the US shore all about the same distance out.

Couple of drunk guys crashed their car at the launch ramp at 9 mile road on the lake. No wanting to get arrested one went into the lake and swam down stream getting out about a mile down the lakeshore to find the local police waiting for him. Was monitored on the cam the entire swim.

smidgen too
12-02-2011, 10:04 AM
[Often wondered what effect it would be to hit one of these markers at speed at night? I have stoped to examine them and they are spaced regularly up and down the US shore all about the same distance out.

Couple of drunk guys crashed their car at the launch ramp at 9 mile road on the lake. No wanting to get arrested one went into the lake and swam down stream getting out about a mile down the lakeshore to find the local police waiting for him. Was monitored on the cam the entire swim]

When we sit at my friends well @ Emerald City, the boader patrol car sits on the point just waiting For ????????? I like when we are at the old Jacks and the agents walk through looking for illegals. I have seen them make a few arrests.
I live on the lake at the north end, Anchor bay has the A,B, & C marker that are used for the North Star sail club races. I dont think these plastic marker would do much damage compared to the old steel one's that they replaced. :boggled:
My friend Sue has the other Donzi like yours, she ask me the question about the markers.

Dr. David Fleming
12-02-2011, 11:26 AM
We talking about Sue who keeps the 22ZX at Beacon Hill?

smidgen too
12-03-2011, 09:49 AM
Thats her, she has only been out on her Donzi when the kids take her out. I hope to change that next year. :wink:

Dr. David Fleming
12-03-2011, 07:07 PM
Have chatted with Sue on the internet and met her daughter and Brian. Her kids and I ran the length of St. Clair last September. They were in Sue's ZX and I ran along side them in mine. Just enough chop to toss the ZX's out of the water. Was great observing another 22ZX in flight - first time I had ever seen one not my own - graceful boats leaping from one wave top to the other. I wish I had a video of it. I recomended the Donzi Registry to her but have not noticed her on the site. Am I observing a romantic interest here on your part? Maybe we should get the two boats together for a summer cruise? She seems a neat lady.

smidgen too
12-03-2011, 11:07 PM
I met Sue at the raft off when the only boat I had running was a 22' W A Chris Craft Sea Hawk. I had just sold my 29' Mirage, but she even liked the Chris. Next summer I will have one of my Magnums done along with my Donzi Doral.:nilly:
I see you all the time running down by Emerald City, my friend Dave R has the classic 22' out of the harbor. Your 22' looks like it runs well with the Crockett power. :yes: