PDA

View Full Version : Who Owns That White/Red Donzi 18 on Lake Lanier?

Ron in Atlanta
10-10-2011, 07:41 AM
We were out sailboat racing Saturday and caught a glimpse of an 18 going by.

As my new boat, a white/red trim Sweet 16 looks very similar and since I am new to this Donzi family, I would love to exchange info on engine builder, source for parts/accessories, etc. Send me an e-mail rongoldfarb@earthlink.net

And yes, I said sailboat racing. Prior to buying the Donzi, I thought 6 knots on the water was FAST. I expect that is about to change, new boat goes in the water this coming weekend.68205

jl1962
10-10-2011, 12:22 PM
Hi Ron and welcome.

As one sailboat racer to another, you are NOT alone - just very much in the minority! And remember "fast" is all relative!
;)

Congrats on the Donzi, I expect several people on Lake Lanier will chime in.

BTW - what are you sailing? Looks like an old MORC 30' I used to sail on. Breeze on!

Offset
10-10-2011, 12:27 PM
I think you should bail out of that one, it looks like it is going to fall over!!!:nilly:

Ron in Atlanta
10-10-2011, 01:14 PM
[ QUOTE=$originalposter]{$pagetext}[/QUOTE]

Good eye, it is a MORC boat, specifically, a Pinacle 30. There were only 6 or so made in the late 80's. Huge rig, very technical to sail but when you get all the gears figured out, almost unbeatable.

gcarter
10-10-2011, 01:27 PM
So, what do you do when you don't have seven or eight friends to go out w/you?

A very good friend of mine lives on a canal in Cudjo Key near Key West.
Several years ago I took my Minx down and visited him. When we got out of the canal and out into the Atlantic, he was very frustrated and told me that we had, in about five minutes, gone farther than he would have in over an hour!

jl1962
10-10-2011, 01:39 PM
[ QUOTE=$originalposter]{$pagetext}[/QUOTE]

Yup. Pinacle 30, Adhara 30 - Doug Peterson boats.
I used to sail on one called Tango Delta on LIS about 20 years ago. The boat was handful in breeze, too tender upwind and too loaded up downwind-it would never quite break loose. Good light air SoCal boats.

BTW - what's with the "Reply with Quote" function? Seems like a glitch in the new forum upgrade.

MOP
10-10-2011, 02:40 PM
Your not alone! Many more than most realize sailed, it is not the speed but the skill. Not many things can compete with a well sailed boat, I got my share of gold!

Ron in Atlanta
10-10-2011, 03:26 PM
Well! Some interesting comments. Since the "Quote" function ain't working too well, lets do it this way:

" So, what do you do when you don't have seven or eight friends to go out w/you?

A very good friend of mine lives on a canal in Cudjo Key near Key West.
Several years ago I took my Minx down and visited him. When we got out of the canal and out into the Atlantic, he was very frustrated and told me that we had, in about five minutes, gone farther than he would have in over an hour! "

Good point, Mr Carter but we sailors are a socialable bunch and always have 7 or 8 friends willing to join us. http://www.donzi.net/ubb/icons/icon7.gif

Seriously, the boats that win alot ALWAYS have good crew who want to join up - this boat wins alot! And remember, "It's not the destination, it's the journey that counts"

"Yup. Pinacle 30, Adhara 30 - Doug Peterson boats.
I used to sail on one called Tango Delta on LIS about 20 years ago. The boat was handful in breeze, too tender upwind and too loaded up downwind-it would never quite break loose. Good light air SoCal boats."

Jl 1962

Amazing coinsidence! Only 6 built, what's the odds? As I said, she is very technical to sail but with the right sails and an extraordinary amount of mast bend, she goes to weather well in heavy air. Downwind as well, we've had her planing. It helps to bring along a change of underware on the 30 kts+ days.

"Your not alone! Many more than most realize sailed, it is not the speed but the skill. Not many things can compete with a well sailed boat, I got my share of gold!"

MOP

I'll bet you did.

I am supprised at the number of sailors also running Donzis.

It is a good thing.68211

It can get interesting during a close start.

tmdog
10-11-2011, 07:17 AM
Ron, I have a red/white 18 and boat Lanier. Was not out over the w/e, way way too windy, like gail force.
Welcome to the board.

RedDog
10-11-2011, 09:40 AM
Could have been Stan aka Inferno

Inferno
10-11-2011, 12:41 PM
Nope....Not me