PDA

View Full Version : What's the Value of a 1988 18 Classic Testa Rossa?

Eric in Lake Stevens, WA
10-06-2011, 12:50 PM
I'm the original owner of a 1988 Donzi 18 Classic, Testa Rossa edition. I am thinking about selling it and was wondering how rare the 18 Testa Rossa is and what it is worth. It has about 177 hours on it and is in like new condition. I bought it from a dealer in Maine and had it shipped to Washington State. After putting about 50 hours on the 350 Magnum, I pulled the engine and put in a Mercruiser 420 HP 454, Alfa SS outdrive, Kiekhaeffer tabs, Latham hydraulic steering, etc. The engine with Gil exhaust and cam change is conservatively 450 HP now. The boat will run up to 87 MPH on the Nordskog speedometer. I work on boats and all the work done 20 years ago was done professionally with the use of correct Mercruiser parts for the engine conversion. There are 3 short video clips on YouTube of it running and a pass by at 85 MPH while going over small boat wakes. Titles are: "1988 Donzi 18 Classic Testa Rossa at 85 MPH" (1 of 3, 2 of 3, and 3 of 3). Sorry, I can't seem to figure out how to post them here under the video section.

biggiefl
10-06-2011, 01:02 PM
Wow...the 4th one in 3 months for sale and some say only 10 were made. Nice one in Miami stock for $12,900....go from there with mods so maybe upper teens?

gcarter
10-06-2011, 01:10 PM
Apparently there were fewer than 10 TR 18's built.
Since you work on boats, you know it's all about condition and how bad someone wants the boat.
These '80's Donzi's have a few issues that really need to be considered. The tanks were installed w/o any coating on the bare aluminum and many are badly corroded on the bottom and need to be replaced.
The other is the poor quality of the wiring behind the dash.
But to answer your question, probably between $12K-$25K.
Good luck and welcome.

Ratliff240
10-19-2011, 03:01 PM
-Eric

I would like to introduce myself because my father speaks very highly of you and your Donzi. My name is David and I also love my 18. Thank you for taking my father for a ride, he really enjoyed it.

As for the valuation, my father who is one of the most meticulous people I have ever met (aside from myself) expressed to me that the fit and finish of this Testa Rossa is perfect. Every modification is well thought out, designed, professionally installed and most importantly tasteful. I believe the words he used were, "better than new!"

Eric, I have some pictures of the boat if you would like me to put them up to show your hard work

MR MAGOO
10-19-2011, 10:24 PM
[ QUOTE=$originalposter]{$pagetext}[/QUOTE]

Small world. I live a few miles from Jordan Bay Marina in Raymond, Maine where this Testa Rossa originated. It sat in the showroom for 2-3 yrs before we were told it sold to a buyer in Washington State. I had drooled over that boat during the years it spent at Jordan Bay. Would love to see some pics.

Kurt

MOP
10-20-2011, 05:43 AM
http://www.google.com/search?q=1988+Donzi+18+Classic+Testa+Rossa+at+85+M PH&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a

Eric in Lake Stevens, WA
10-23-2011, 09:44 AM
David,

Thanks for the compliments from you and your father. I planned on taking some photos but haven't gotten to it, so that would be great if you would like to post them. I have kept the boat in like new condition. Except for one week at Lake Havasu, AZ and a few days at Lake Entiat, WA, it has only been in Lake Stevens where I live, and I have never put it in salt water.

Eric in Lake Stevens, WA
10-23-2011, 09:51 AM
Kurt,

Yes, this is the boat from Jordan Bay Marina. Small world is right! I bought it in 1990 after seeing it in a Power Boat magazine ad. Apparently they were a dealer for Donzi and ordered it to display for sale in their show room. The list price on the boat was over 35K with options and shipping, but since the boat didn't sell right away they were holding it after OMC bought Donzi, lowered the quality and drastically lowered the pricing. That made it difficult for them to sell since the dealer cost on the '88 was more than the newer model cost of an OMC Donzi. Originally the engine hatch cover had no raised area with the 350 Magnum engine. The 420 was a lot higher, so I ordered a raised OMC one but had to cut and raise it even higher. It was then re-gelcoated with OEM gelcoat.