PDA

View Full Version : 1972 Cigarette 19 ft. hull #1

kjly63
10-02-2011, 11:35 AM
for sale

1972 cigarette racing team 19
a true piece of history from thunderboat row on 188th and don aronow and his design team at cigarette racing .

power and mechanicals

the boat was fully restored in 2004 with originality and reliabilty in
mind. the boat is powered by the original motor a chris craft chevy LT1
corvette 350 ci engine mated to a volvo penta aqua matic 270 outdrive.
then original color scheme of black and yellow was updated from gel to
paint. awlcraft 2000 jet black with awlcraft yellow stripes. the
standard teak stripe and wood work was upgraded to marine mahogany with
a few coats of varnish. the original chris craft exhaust setup and raw
water system were removed and upgraded to stainless marine exhaust with
a cross over cooling system. these upgrades gave some performance
enhancements with a weight reduction and allowing the motor to breathe
better. the original risers are available and will go with the sale of
the boat. the wiring and electrical harness was replaced. the motor has
new edelbrock aluminum heads increasing the horsepower to about 350hp.
the boat will also come with a custom made black tandem bunk trailer
made by performance trailers of warrensberg ny. the boat has a 23 solas
prop and will run high 50's just to 60 mph. you will not find a better
riding 19 foot boat out there.

history

this is a 2 owner boat which has lived it's entire live on greenwood
lake ny. 1972 was the first year for the cig 19, it would later be named
the 20. there was no change in length but do to uscg regulations at the
time for floatation foam in 19 foot and under, the boat was called a 20
in 1973. the original owner purchased the boat at the 1972 ny boat show
which was held in dec of 1971 at the nyc coliseum.i believe this to be
cig 19 hull number one. the boat and motor were built in fall of 1971 a
year before the uscg made stamping hull identification numbers on the
right side of the transom mandatory. during the restoration some unique
facts have been uncovered on the boat. when the original front buckets
seats handwritten marking cig 19 were found . these were written by the
workers at bilt-rite interiors who did all of the interiors for the
early donzi and cigs from 188th st. when the heads were replaced it was
also noted that certain design features and materials that were used
were only made in the 1971 version of that motor. this is a true piece
of history that can be used and enjoyed

There is nothing this boat needs. It has sat on a lift since its restoration and is immaculate.

I have been to a few gatherings and poker runs and feel great when people walk past a 300K boat and walk up to mine to see what it is. This is the one to own if you want a 20 that has been restored to original with some modern day updates.

I am asking 30K or best offer. (includes $3500 trailer)

email me at klyding@voicecomplus.com

Ken

Rob M
10-02-2011, 02:16 PM
I've said it before - this is one of the coolest looking boats I have ever seen. Simply awesome. Best of luck with the sale.

jl1962
10-02-2011, 03:25 PM
I was lucky enough to see this boat last month at Lake George. The boat looks sensational and sounds amazing.

Boats this nice are a true labor of love and this one is a great piece of history too.

Someone will get something very special.

Offset
10-02-2011, 03:39 PM
That is one stunning boat. Interesting history and I wish you luck with the sale of your boat.

What is the story on the boat under the restored one in storage? Looks interesting as well.

Conquistador_del_mar
10-02-2011, 05:57 PM
Very nice boat. I had a lot of fun with my old 20' Cig powered by a BBC and TRS drive - it was bulletproof and ran right around 67MPH. If you have the 1971 LT1, it would be a solid lift engine with Corvette insignias on the valve covers and made 350HP. I think the 1972 made 320HP. I wish you luck with the sale. Bill

superhatz
10-02-2011, 10:39 PM
Love this boat. Love.

Love.

Craig S
10-03-2011, 11:55 AM
Sweet boat!

kjly63
10-03-2011, 06:04 PM
That is one stunning boat. Interesting history and I wish you luck with the sale of your boat.

What is the story on the boat under the restored one in storage? Looks interesting as well.

The boat was on top for years in storage. Now it is next door from me.68092

kjly63
10-05-2011, 06:29 PM
a couple from the day it came out of the storage building after 20 years

mattyboy
10-10-2011, 08:40 AM
had the chance to drive the boat over the weekend it runs great, turn the key and go. and is absolutely stunning.

donzis gather attention on the docks from the people who know boats, this boat gets EVERYONE's attention.
we pulled in with the sting and about half of the 500 bikers turned around and commented, Kenny pulled in 5 minutes later and all 500 bikers stopped and stared.

good luck with the sale and the new owner will be getting a true one of a kind.

mattyboy
10-17-2011, 06:30 AM
looks like someone knows the boat and the previous owner, post 22

http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/cigarette/263363-72-cigarette-19ft-sale-hull-1-a.html

Greg Guimond
10-17-2011, 07:59 PM
Wow, must be awesome to have someone post that kind of info after decades have passed. Very cool.

kjly63
10-19-2011, 08:31 PM
Here is the foam from the original front bucket seat. Bilt-rite did the original interior and I was able to get 2 new glass buckets from Bill right before he closed shop.

kjly63
10-20-2011, 09:14 PM
Wow, got a bite right away on ebay. Its not a Donzi. But a great Don Aronow #1. I hope someone who appreciates what this is buys it and enjoys it as much as I have. As Matty said, it is unreal how many people come and look at this boat......and with 4" exhaust and 330 hp on on small block 350...............its sound GREAT!!!

I will probably regret selling, but it's time for it to move on.

mattyboy
10-24-2011, 09:10 AM
a little video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9xGJ2lV17UQ

BUIZILLA
10-24-2011, 10:58 AM
I talked with a guy on Saturday at the OFF event that is/was bidding on the boat..

mike o
10-25-2011, 12:18 PM
The boat is way cool, and is in perfect condition. :yes: Im surprised your letting it go, living on the lake and all. Most of us know the attention the donzi classics get that we own. This thing is off the charts...........:lightning

kjly63
10-26-2011, 07:04 AM
It will either sell or not sell today. ebay auction ends in 13 hrs.:hyper:

kjly63
11-18-2011, 07:16 AM
for sale

1972 cigarette racing team 19
a true piece of history from thunderboat row on 188th and don aronow and his design team at cigarette racing .

power and mechanicals

the boat was fully restored in 2004 with originality and reliabilty in
mind. the boat is powered by the original motor a chris craft chevy LT1
corvette 350 ci engine mated to a volvo penta aqua matic 270 outdrive.
then original color scheme of black and yellow was updated from gel to
paint. awlcraft 2000 jet black with awlcraft yellow stripes. the
standard teak stripe and wood work was upgraded to marine mahogany with
a few coats of varnish. the original chris craft exhaust setup and raw
water system were removed and upgraded to stainless marine exhaust with
a cross over cooling system. these upgrades gave some performance
enhancements with a weight reduction and allowing the motor to breathe
better. the original risers are available and will go with the sale of
the boat. the wiring and electrical harness was replaced. the motor has
new edelbrock aluminum heads increasing the horsepower to about 350hp.
the boat will also come with a custom made black tandem bunk trailer
made by performance trailers of warrensberg ny. the boat has a 23 solas
prop and will run high 50's just to 60 mph. you will not find a better
riding 19 foot boat out there.

history

this is a 2 owner boat which has lived it's entire live on greenwood
lake ny. 1972 was the first year for the cig 19, it would later be named
the 20. there was no change in length but do to uscg regulations at the
time for floatation foam in 19 foot and under, the boat was called a 20
in 1973. the original owner purchased the boat at the 1972 ny boat show
which was held in dec of 1971 at the nyc coliseum.i believe this to be
cig 19 hull number one. the boat and motor were built in fall of 1971 a
year before the uscg made stamping hull identification numbers on the
right side of the transom mandatory. during the restoration some unique
facts have been uncovered on the boat. when the original front buckets
seats handwritten marking cig 19 were found . these were written by the
workers at bilt-rite interiors who did all of the interiors for the
early donzi and cigs from 188th st. when the heads were replaced it was
also noted that certain design features and materials that were used
were only made in the 1971 version of that motor. this is a true piece
of history that can be used and enjoyed

There is nothing this boat needs. It has sat on a lift since its restoration and is immaculate.

I have been to a few gatherings and poker runs and feel great when people walk past a 300K boat and walk up to mine to see what it is. This is the one to own if you want a 20 that has been restored to original with some modern day updates.

I am asking 30K or best offer. (includes $3500 trailer)

email me at klyding@voicecomplus.com

Ken

One more try before winter storage. 28K will take this boat:eek:

Ken

rr1048
08-21-2012, 10:59 PM
Beautiful restoration! If you don't mind I have a question about the deck stripe. What was the process you used to attach the wood stripe? It looks to be glued in place and does not have any screws and plugs to cover the screw heads. How did you form to the deck contour? Any suggestions you can give me before I tackle the same project of replacing he deck wood stripe. I hope you get strong money for the boat it is an awesome restoration. Thanks, randy

mattyboy
08-23-2012, 06:47 AM
rr,

kjly probably won't see this for some time he is on vacation, I helped him with the resto, all of the teak was replaced with mahogony stained to the color he wanted then varnished and sanded several times, it shows no sign of fading ,weathering or wear.

we did the screw and plugs on the dash which was a pain. we thought maybe just glue the stripe down but then came up with an idea. we used studs i have no idea what they are called but one side is a wood screw and the other side is machine threads. we drilled , sealed and set the wood screw side in the bottom of the stripe laid out the stripe and the deck drilled holes then sealed and bolted the stripe down from under the deck.

send me a pm and I can answer any questions or get Kjly in touch with you.

Conquistador_del_mar
10-01-2012, 02:38 AM
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Cigarette-Donzi-Speedboat-Don-Aranow-Chevy-Corvette-350-LT1-engine-trailer-/221132302289?forcev4exp=true

Ghost
10-01-2012, 09:21 AM
Love the boat, and love the keg-blocking pic.

kjly63
10-07-2012, 05:07 PM
Just replaced the 40 yr old gas tank. Thanks Matty for your help.

With that, now everything has been replaced.

One more day to go on ebay. I've got so many compliments over the years, it really is a cool boat, but it is time for someone else to enjoy this classic.:bawling:

Ken

RockyS18
10-07-2012, 07:02 PM
Are you willing to sell the trailer separately? If so, PM me the asking price please.

mattyboy
10-08-2012, 08:29 AM
your welcome Kenny any time, you were a big help with my project.

The boat is really awesome and runs real well .the buyer will be getting a one of a kind piece of history.

good luck with the sale and looking forward to the next project.

mattyboy
10-08-2012, 11:45 AM
I'll add a few more pics for Kenny from the lgpba poker run the boat was "rock star" at the docks people were walking past half mil OL and cigs to get to see the little black boat.

VetteLT193
10-08-2012, 11:52 AM
This one docked next to Pearson's 18. damn nice couple there.

Offset
10-08-2012, 01:10 PM
Man are those boats ever packed in there. Is that an optical illusion? Potential for a lot of damage with one mistake in that pile!!!

mattyboy
10-09-2012, 06:55 AM
no optical illusion, over 120 boats most over 30 feet in spots that normally hold 30-40 boats

the little cig hanging with the big boys not a great video but the commentary says it all

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5pt8-g3Dzvo

kjly63
10-13-2012, 01:22 PM
Auction ended at 17,300.00 and did not get to the 25K I had hoped for.

Winter is coming......I would take 22K for it now:eek!:. GREAT BUY and one hell of a boat.

Anyone interested. As Matt said, my boat got alot of attention at an event with half-million dollar boats parked all around it.

Ken

kjly63
10-13-2012, 01:24 PM
I'll add a few more pics for Kenny from the lgpba poker run the boat was "rock star" at the docks people were walking past half mil OL and cigs to get to see the little black boat.

Matt- that was a great time in Lake George that w/e. Nice pictures - can you send them to me.

Ken

Scott Pearson
10-14-2012, 08:52 AM
Ken...Thats because you were rafted off to a cool orange 18!!!

jl1962
10-18-2012, 03:06 PM
Ended?

It's a special boat. Hope it went to a good home.

mattyboy
10-18-2012, 03:09 PM
did u by it Jay ? would be the perfect boat for you and the lake.

will find out at dinner tonight.

kjly63
10-23-2012, 08:56 PM
Ken...Thats because you were rafted off to a cool orange 18!!!

Hi Scott-

That was a great w/e. I will have to find another boat to put on the lift for next season. If not, maybe Matty will be on it; but only if he leaves me the key:propeller:

mattyboy
10-24-2012, 07:30 AM
Yes that was a great weekend , wonder if the bouncer ever found work again? That was the first time I have ever seen 300 people get up and leave a bar, one goes we all go LOL.

Kenny the keys are always yours anytime you want. we might have to to adjust the bunks but I mean if it will hold one Aronow 19 it should hold another Aronow 19 ;) the 302 is not as strong as the LT1 but I might work on that this winter.

I was just thinking pretty amazing she was born in Fla came to the big apple as a new born was taken home to greenwood lake and she spent all her 40+ yr old life there , now she returns home . pretty cool.

Gonna miss seeing her on the lake but looking fwd to the next project . hey how about an old woody **** that to many splinters and always using the furniture polish LOL.

I know a cig Firefox they look good in Black :yes:

kjly63
11-18-2012, 07:19 AM
The boat went back to Florida. Was happy and kinda sad when it pulled away. Had a great time restoring with Matty and running it for the last 10 years.

Have all winter to find another one.....a little larger and something I could use in salt water.

jl1962
11-18-2012, 07:33 AM
Ken - Based on that tow vehicle I'd say you found a very good home for the boat!

If/when I ever sell my boat, the right kind of buyer will definitely ease the sense of loss......

mattyboy
11-18-2012, 08:26 AM
makes me sad a little she won't be seen or heard out on the lake where she lived all her life, but everyone must go home at some time . I am happy she found a good home . It was a real pleasure having helped on such an historic piece of thunderboat row. Let me know if you hear anything from the new owner .

this might make a good next project Kenny, it is bigger 21 feet and is a great salt water boat has won a few races on long island plus it has some history on greenwood lake ;) no more bilge diving I think we are getting a little to old for that LOL

Ghost
11-18-2012, 11:40 AM
Have all winter to find another one.....a little larger and something I could use in salt water.

How about this? (Assuming they'll come way down on the price, that is)

http://www.boats.com/boat-details/Cigarette-Signature/132789231

superhatz
11-18-2012, 12:04 PM
I do know of a good 28 Cig project for $8K.

rr1048
11-20-2012, 06:37 PM
The boat went back to Florida. Was happy and kinda sad when it pulled away. Had a great time restoring with Matty and running it for the last 10 years.

It is an awesome boat and wonderful that it is going to another enthusiast caretaker.
You will be doing the hobby a great service by saving another valuable specimen.

Good luck on your next project!

stormrider
11-21-2012, 02:22 PM
"this might make a good next project Kenny, it is bigger 21 feet and is a great salt water boat has won a few races on long island plus it has some history on greenwood lake http://www.donzi.net/ubb/wink.gif no more bilge diving I think we are getting a little to old for that LOL”

Mattyboy, Is that shadow actually for sale?

btw, beautiful old cig that i've thought about owning, but would be a shame to use in salt water.
Guess that's where it's heading anyways... but i'm sure the owner will keep her looking as nice as she is.

mattyboy
11-22-2012, 09:53 AM
Stormrider,

that is one of George Linder's first challengers that was a raceboat that won quite a few races. I worked for the guy who bought it and he ran it on my lake in the late 70's I am not sure of it's where abouts but would not mind to take it on as a project it ran fast and stable was my first ride over 80 mph on the water .

I think it is somewhere on the Island have ask questions but not really done any true investigation.

stormrider
11-26-2012, 01:42 PM
Yes, george has noted how well the 21 challengers ran w/ twins.