PDA

View Full Version : What do I need to connect my new MOMO?

biggiefl
09-27-2011, 07:29 PM
I looked at my Dino today and it has a different bolt pattern although 6 holes. There is a small helm behind it that I guess bolts to the shaft and then the wheel bolts/screws to it. My chrome bezel behind that which is flush with the dash is kinda pitted. Is there a newer aftermarket helm that would kill 2 birds with one stone? I mean remove the giant chrome thing and install a Livorsi/Dana? helm that would bolt to the wheel and flush with dash or do I need all 3 parts(wheel, coupler thing, and the chrome bezel)? Cost?

mrfixxall
09-27-2011, 07:46 PM
all you need is a new steering hub,you pick the color,legnth and bolt pattern..
http://www.eddiemarine.com/store/cart.php?m=product_list&c=170

i like the longer hubs so im not reaching for the wheel..

gcarter
09-27-2011, 07:48 PM
It's never ending.
There's always something else you need. You can fix the hub by turning over the hub and bolting the wheel to it through the two holes that do line up. Check it, you'll see what I mean.
Next, tap drill all the way through the hub for the other six holes that don't line up. You can do this because the original holes don't go all the way through the hub.
By drill through the back side, you're able to create a new set of holes that do line up from the front side. This is best done in a drill press.
Anyway, once you have all the tap drill holes drilled, you can thread the new holes and simply use longer screws to bolt the wheel to the hub.
BTW, these are metric threads.
I have to do one of these myself.
There're non-chromed bezels available on eBay and in most of the usual suppliers. They can be painted to match most anything.

pipnit
09-27-2011, 07:48 PM
Do you have hydraulic steering?

biggiefl
09-27-2011, 10:33 PM
I have the stock power steering from Mercruiser circa 1994. George the 3"? round bezel behind my wheel is really crappy and needs to be replaced or blasted and painted, not worth the time to drill, etc. I was thinking the Livorsi version of this: http://www.eddiemarine.com/store/cart.php?m=product_detail&p=11849&c=170 which is this: http://www.livorsi.com/catalog/wheels.htm

Does the factory chrome thingy against the dash interfere with what I posted above? Do I keep both or just the Livorsi thingy? How much is the factory chrome bezel against the dash to replace if need be? Links?

mrfixxall
09-28-2011, 12:27 AM
if your talking about the chrome bezel that is closer tothe helm that turnd with the steering wheel,with this new hub you do away with it..the hub i posted fits real close to the helm mount..

http://www.donzi.net/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=15517&stc=1&d=1129674399

gcarter
09-28-2011, 05:50 PM
Nick, the thing screwed to the wheel is the wheel hub. You can replace it w/many other hubs, like the one you posted.
Just keep in mind that thicker hubs will move the wheel towards you. I personally think the distance from your chest to the dash on a classic is a little tight anyway.
The thing attached to the dash is the bezel. It's a standard Morse piece except I understand they're no longer chromed.
They are commonly available on eBay and you can paint to match.

biggiefl
10-12-2011, 01:43 PM
Ok...looking at Fixx's pic I have the chrome bezel that is flush with the dash. Then there is about an inch or so gap that you see the shaft then a black bezel that is roughly 2" deep that screws to the wheel and turns with the wheel. I need to replace that black 2" part. with one that mounts to a Momo like Fixx posted a link to above. My question before ordering is.....do I get the standard bezel which I imagine is like mine but with momo spacing or do I get the 3" one? Will the 3" one move the wheel closer or will it cover the inch or so of my exposed shaft(no jokes here)? How does the 3" mount? It almost looks like it would replace BOTH the 2" and the OEM chrome one flush with dash. I'm sooo confused.

biggiefl
10-12-2011, 01:51 PM
Being he has the exact setup as me, does the 3" replace the chrome piece as well or just the black piece that like mine is peeling and won't match up to the MOMO pattern?68244

VetteLT193
10-12-2011, 01:57 PM
the hub is just the black part. the chrome part stays attached to the dash, it's bolted from behind.

On my old boat the hub and wheel were stuck together so I got a slide hammer to take it off. The nuts screwed to the hub were corroded in and they would not come out so I went with the full setup with new hub.

biggiefl
10-12-2011, 08:37 PM
Thanks Bobby....passed you Sunday on the way back to the Hyatt. Again, thanks for the ridein the 28.

Unfortunatley I still need some answers that I asked above...please. I can remove stuff, question is what do I NEED to replace it with?

VetteLT193
10-13-2011, 07:48 AM
you can also sand the chrome and paint the helm cover. Mine was sprayed in white awlgrip.

The other helms you see are generally for other types of steering. If you plan on going to hydraulic it would be a good time now as it requires a different helm. What you'll probably find though is that the bezel of the original wheel has screwed the dash up in some way and you'll need a custom bezel to cover the area that is messed up.

So... for a cheap solution, pull the wheel (you don't have to separate the hub and helm like fixx is saying, they can be removed together). a slide hammer with the 'claw' attachment works well for this. the after the wheel is pulled I think there are 4 screws/bolts to remove the helm. Take that off, and either replace the helm bezel, rechrome it, or sand/paint it.

Next put it back together... For the hub, just spec out a hub for a momo. you can get the cheap cast one like the one you have now or you can upgrade. Livorsi for example has some really nice anodized ones but they aren't cheap.

biggiefl
10-13-2011, 02:16 PM
Perfect! Thanks EVERYONE for helping me out on this as I don't want to order the wrong parts. I have a 3 claw wheel puller so not a problem. Usually you can get behind it with your knees and whack the bolt head and she will "pop", with this I can see using the puller. I am going to call Harbormaster and see what he has, if not I will see who sells Livorsi around here or buy online. I need angled gauge bezels as well.

VetteLT193
10-13-2011, 03:21 PM
Josh from Donzi Direct just gave me a quote on a new wheel, I'm guessing he can get you anything you need.

As soon as I talk my Wife into the new wheel I'll order it up from Josh :)

biggiefl
10-14-2011, 03:09 PM
I ordered my parts. Went with the stock black Momo adapter with the center MOMO logo for $16. I also got the red gauge bezels(angled) and steering bezel(mounts to dash) as well. I will be styling soon. If the red dash bezel does not cover up the marks from the OEM chrome one then I will replace the plastic one on my 13' Whaler with some red BLING. Hey it has the red gauge bezels already so why not for $20. Thank you everyone for your help, I almost ordered the wrong parts....well not really but there would not have been a center cap and the part to put the cap would be another $42 plus the cap, etc. Crap gets expensive so going with OEM for now unless somebody has something used in red or polished.

Have a great weekend