PDA

View Full Version : Need some help

CHACHI
09-26-2011, 09:05 AM
A buddy of mine up at the "The River" has a 1997 Sea Ray with a 350 with throttle body injection.

He has this issue where the motor will run fine, crusie at x mph at x rpm's. All of a sudden the engine starts to miss, tach climbs to 4-5000 and continuse to "hunt", and then it will backfire.

He shuts the engine off, waits 5-10 seconds, re-fires and things are good again.

This seemed to happen yesterday when he came off of plane, idled around, then went back to cruise mode. This happend 3-4 times in a 60 mile cruise.

He has changed the easy stuff, cap plugs, wires, fuel seperator.

Any ideas would be very helpful.

Ken

biggiefl
09-26-2011, 09:40 AM
Ecm?

mrfixxall
09-26-2011, 05:32 PM
sounds like either the coil is starting to heat up and go bad or the fuel pump is taking a crap..mpi motors will back fire through the intake when they are low on fuel pressure..have him put a fuel pressure gauge on it and monitor the fuel pressure,,

Tidbart
09-26-2011, 05:45 PM
Ken,

I would start with some basics. Very first thing to check would be the ignition switch. Can drive an engine nuts if it makes intermittent contact. Ask me how I know.:bonk:

Then I would check the grounds and wiring for any issues. Since he changed the ignition wires, I assume he got a good look at the coil and saw no signs of tracking and made sure the wires weren't routed by the sensor wiring.

I would check the fuel to make sure it not crap. Maybe pull the fuel filter.

Then I would try to get a hold of scan tool or code reader. Scan tool can tell you more, especially if no code is set.

That is a start.

B

BUIZILLA
09-26-2011, 06:45 PM
TBI ?? throttle body injection?

should be on a 1997

the regulator on the TBI may be bad

CHACHI
09-27-2011, 06:04 AM
Jim, my neighbor called it a TBI, just repeating what he said. Personally I know it is not a carb and it does not have seperate injectors.

Mike, I will mention the coil.

Bob, when this problem first happened 2 years ago, he brought it to a dealer, they scanned it, no codes but changed the fuel pump out so I was told last night.

I will pass on this info, thanks.

Ken