PDA

View Full Version : The Fastest Classic 16, 18, and 22

Greg Guimond
09-24-2011, 09:43 PM
These guys are the fastest..........."currently" running

16 Classic = younger running at 84.4 GPS ....... Blackhawk Drive-Hoss Modified 29 and 31
18 Classic = osur866 running at 90.1 GPS.........Labbed Mirage Plus
22 Classic = Mr X running at 103.4 GPS.............Hydromotive-Intimidator Quad IV

biggiefl
09-24-2011, 10:19 PM
On this site...who knows what lurks outside the Registry?

What about the slowest? That could be interesting as well.

Greg Guimond
09-24-2011, 10:35 PM
There is no one faster biggiefl then these three Classics, anywhere, in the US or the World.

biggiefl
09-24-2011, 10:42 PM
103.4 is VERY impressive and pretty sick to say the least. My bud set the 27' O/B class back in 2000 or so with his Progression at 103.5 I believe. It has since been beat. I was thinking the Swede with about 95mph had it made...what gives with Mr X's boat? Any link to his setup, etc? I think 75 would be about the max I would want to do in my 22.

Greg Guimond
09-24-2011, 10:49 PM
If you have a faster Classic then post it. Otherwise...............

Ghost
09-24-2011, 11:19 PM
Oh, I think there are some 18s faster than that... :)

maddad
09-25-2011, 12:14 AM
I'm pretty sure that osur866, without talking to much about it. has his 18 in the upper 80's. Maybe more?

Ed Donnelly
09-25-2011, 06:02 AM
There have been faster 16 & 18 just do a search...Ed

gcarter
09-25-2011, 06:35 AM
Mr. Donnelly would know since he holds the 16C record.

Carl C
09-25-2011, 06:47 AM
But the first post says these boats "are" the fastest. Not "was"! I'm pretty sure there are faster 18s but who?

gcarter
09-25-2011, 07:08 AM
So, in other words, records don't count, only what's running today?

I suppose Greg could have been a little clearer..........

ralph crocker
09-25-2011, 07:19 AM
I believe a 16 named "Mighty Mouse" hit 120 MPH. And I think it still exists out of Florida but don't know for sure. Therefore I don't know if it is a "is" or a "was".

tmh
09-25-2011, 07:31 AM
I thought Craig Skilling's 18C 383 Blackhawk had seen 80MPH and the post was about 3 weeks ago.

a.casolini1968
09-25-2011, 07:46 AM
My 2004 C22 does 57 mph GPS with 6.2 MX MPI Bravo drive and 23 pitch prop at 4750 rpm, and porpoises btwn 30 and 45. Hydromotive Quad IV fixed the porpoising , but did not help the speed.The drive anti ventilation plate is exactly 1/2" above the keel when level/ neutral trim.Feels nice and steady once above 50 mph.

Carl C
09-25-2011, 07:59 AM
[ QUOTE]So, in other words, records don't count, only what's running today?
I suppose Greg could have been a little clearer..........[/QUOTE]

IDK, How about a current fastest, a record fastest and a slowest? :)

Greg Guimond
09-25-2011, 08:20 AM
I should have been more precise with my opening pot stirring post and said currently running.

Ed Donnelly had the fastest ever recorded 16 breaking 100mph thirty or so years ago
Mighty Mouse had the fastest 18 breaking 120mph 10 years back

:umbrella:

joseph m. hahnl
09-25-2011, 09:19 AM
Mighty Mouse is still alive from all of the Urban legend that has been floating around. I think the cat maybe out of the bag, at the very least it may narrow down the new owner .
Mr X's 22 at some point might break the MM record:smash:. and be the fastest classic that ever was.But when MM comes out of the wood work again, it will remain to be seen if it can keep up to what Geo Did with it.

That said congrats to the hard work :superman:for the Current fastest standings:lightning

RedDog
09-25-2011, 10:17 AM
[ QUOTE=$originalposter]{$pagetext}[/QUOTE]

MM is an X-18 and I'm thinking NC is its home

Pismo
09-25-2011, 11:03 AM
My Lyman 23' will do 29mph GPS if I really let he wind out...

Greg Guimond
09-25-2011, 07:37 PM
Mighty Mouse is alive and living in North Carolina? Any pictures? I always thought as the fastest 18 in the history of the world that it had been buried, with honors, in Greens Farms.

G-MAN
09-25-2011, 08:32 PM
I drove a members 18 to 80 saturday when I was in the boat when he ran it to upper 80s then trying a different prop he got it over 90.

MOP
09-25-2011, 08:37 PM
Besides Ed's triple digit 16 there was one other, a super charged BB 16 with tabs that looked to be 3-1/2 feet long. Never got a speed number on the elusive BB blown 16, it looked scary sitting at the dock plus it may still be around. Would love to see and hear more about it.

Phil

Greg Guimond
09-25-2011, 08:57 PM
MOP, that is cool. A supercharged BBC 16. Roughly how many years back would that have been? No one will ever be faster then Ed D with his 100mph 16 from the 1980's but very interesting that there was another 16 that was "up there"

roadtrip se
09-25-2011, 09:33 PM
The weather must be cooling down and the board racing is about to hit stride yet again. This recurring theme is just like Ground Hog day with it's predictability.

One correction on the urban legend of the MM. Unless it sold, it isn't in North Carolina. As has been said here before, the current owner will bring the boat to a rally near you, when he is ready to.

GMan, that 18 is one of the finest running 18's on the rally circuit right now. And he typically shows for AOTH with his family and runs it, instead of board racing here. I got a pic of his GPS after his latest runs recently and I predict that most 22's won't run with him next season. Coolest part, this guy has set up his boat over a long period of time and runs it methodically and safely. I admire that.

lars
09-25-2011, 09:58 PM
Lenny's post with four videos and another nice thread of many over the years;

A. http://www.donzi.net/forums/showthread.php?42033-1975-X-18-Arneson-Drive-Super-Charged&p=422013&viewfull=1#post422013

B. http://www.donzi.net/forums/showthread.php?61317-mighty-mouse&highlight=mighty+mouse

MIGHTY MOUSE @ 2:11 al fine :wink:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7kg3zoGcrFM

mike o
09-26-2011, 07:02 AM
[ QUOTE=$originalposter]{$pagetext}[/QUOTE]Post #24, Humble........:wink:

Sweet Cheekz
09-26-2011, 08:25 AM
No 22's are even close to Mighty Mouses best number

Parnell

AIRGRADY
09-26-2011, 10:36 AM
Mighty Mouse footage looks it was sped up. I know it wasn't.

That little X18 defies the laws of physics!

biggiefl
09-26-2011, 10:46 AM
Speaking of fast 22's...there is a ZX22 on Flea-Bay and the guy claims 64 with 2 people and 1/2 tank with a 300hp 350. Is that truly the fastest 22 w/sbc or are they really that quick compared to a classic? Can a stepped hull really make almost 10mph?

catch 22
09-26-2011, 11:07 AM
As in post #16 Ed Donnelly hold's the record for the 16's at a 100+:shocking:
George(Geoo) hold's the the record for the 18's at 120+( all classic's for that matter ):yes:
Mr x hold's the record for the 22's at 103++:shocking::yes: I get the whole current thing. But records are made to be broken and these classics were and still are BAD ASS no matter how long ago they did what they did. ED did it 30 yrs ago, Geoo did it 10 yrs ago and that's a long time. What's taking us so long to catch up? It's not easy. P.S. I was one of the fortunate ones to get a ride in Mighty Mouse. And if I live to be 100 I will never forget it. Thanks Geoo for the ride of my life, and all the help you gave me with mine:yes:

The Hedgehog
09-26-2011, 11:13 AM
Board Racing with boats that no longer exist or are in hiding. Nice

64 in a stock 350 22xz? Probably. I doubt that is 10 mph faster than a 22 with the same setup. Steps start to make a difference in the high 60's. On that hull probably to about 80. Beyond that, you are pretty much just riding on a few feet of hull.

biggiefl
09-26-2011, 01:41 PM
Posted on page 1 and he has more than 300hp. "My 2004 C22 does 57 mph GPS with 6.2 MX MPI Bravo drive and 23 pitch prop at 4750 rpm, and porpoises btwn 30 and 45. Hydromotive Quad IV fixed the porpoising , but did not help the speed.The drive anti ventilation plate is exactly 1/2" above the keel when level/ neutral trim.Feels nice and steady once above 50 mph."

With 300 I would think about 55 and 64 is almost 10mph. Remember 2 people and 1/2 tank.

silverghost
09-26-2011, 01:51 PM
I have never seen Mighty Mouse, Geo's old Arneson drive X-18 Donzi, first hand; but the areal photos sure look very impressive.

You have to have a lot of "Brass" to drive that boat.
And be sure your life & medical insurance premiums are paid up-to-date.

Are there any other Arneson-Drive Donzi 18s/X-18s, or 22s, out there anywhere ?

If so~
What speeds do they actually run ?

I'm starting a new rumor that the old Mighty Mouse was spotted at "Area 51" right next to the Top Secret replacment for the C.I.A. & Airforce SR-71 Spyplane.

Kirbyvv
09-26-2011, 02:00 PM
There is an Arneson drive 22 residing in Mass right now with dual turbochargers. Don't know the top end, and he probably wouldn't say.

Sweet Cheekz
09-26-2011, 02:03 PM
I'm guessing he doesnt know yet either

Parnell

mattyboy
09-26-2011, 02:10 PM
[ QUOTE=$originalposter]{$pagetext} I have never seen Mighty Mouse, Geo's old Arneson drive X-18 Donzi, first hand; but the areal photos sure look very impressive.

You have to have a lot of "Brass" to drive that boat.
And be sure your life & medical insurance premiums are paid up-to-date.

Are there any other Arneson-Drive Donzi 18s/X-18s, or 22s, out there anywhere ?

[/QUOTE]

that is a common response from someone who did not see the boat run.

You had to see MM run, there was no seat of pants or Brass, Geoo grew that boat from a volvo to an arney. The boat was setup right and rode very stable and was operated with safety first and foremost. He threw a prop blade at speed and was able to get the boat to a controlled stop. That is a testament to how well the boat was setup and his driving abilities. look at some of the videos at speed he looks like he's driving your daddy's oldsmobile. His wife drove the boat at our ladies poker run. i wish my 16 at 55 rode and tracked half as well as MM at 100 .

In a side note mighty mouse is as close to a time machine as you can get. On one run he left 10 minutes after I did and got to the stop 10 minutes before I did???

there are two other arney classics that I know of a minx and a 22

other great MM stories:

AC radar run big boat guys smirking and snickering from the dock as Geoo paddles out what does this guy think he doing boat won't even start. he then turns in the fastest run for his class and the next.

the NY poker run when only the big dogs run out front where the big OL couldn't shake the little 18 !!!

gcarter
09-26-2011, 02:59 PM
Jeff Hall (HallJ) has a Minx w/an Arneson. His boat still has a pretty stock 350, but he's injected it.
I don't know how it runs. Maybe he'll pipe up and tell us.
Jeff does wonderful work on his boat and is very mechanically inclined.

osur866
09-26-2011, 06:38 PM
Yes board racing and the smack talking can inspire some to get on board, I'd just caution people that if you plan on getting in on this be safe, dont just simple take a stock boat and throw 5-6-700 HP into it without making the safety upgrades to handle the added power always wear your lanyard and good jacket, when testing something new or a different prop take your time respect that when running the speeds as mentioned you can hurt yourself and others real fast!! These boats when they left the Factory with the expection of MR X's aren't really set up to run in these speeds, I can tell you that my boat now is not even the same animal as it was when it was stock, there is NO WAY I could drive it at the speeds I do now stock, and everytime I change something I am very respectiful as to how it will respond, so be careful take your time, do it safely if you get the addiction! it's been my experience that every 10 MPH after 70 feels twice as fast as the previous 10 mph. With all that said here's GPS results from this past Saturday.

joseph m. hahnl
09-26-2011, 07:02 PM
the NY poker run when only the big dogs run out front where the big OL couldn't shake the little 18 !!!

Matty was there video of that event?:confused:

Sweet Cheekz
09-26-2011, 07:21 PM
866 Thats sweet!

Parnell

Greg Guimond
09-26-2011, 07:36 PM
Board Racing.............some can't live with it, but it goes hand in hand with Fall. Awesome post osu866! And smart safety info to say the least :yes: That is one hardcore GPS number, thanks for the pic.

mattyboy
09-26-2011, 07:43 PM
joe i know there is a video of the radar run, the ny poker run was actually the brunch run as told by geoo

http://www.donzi.net/forums/showthread.php?1203-NYC-Brunch-Run-10-13-Story&highlight=

Greg Guimond
09-26-2011, 07:50 PM
Worth a cut and paste Matty. This was as posted by GEOO on 10/13/2002 on the board. For those of you not familiar with those waters btw from the Throgs Neck south is not exactly a wide body of water for a bunch of boats at speed. I was out there today so it really resonates.

This is priceless ...........

http://www.donzi.net/ubb/icons/icon6.gif NYC Brunch Run 10/13 Story

I was working all week trying to replace the fuel pump, fuel tank pick-up, fuel lines, filter etc. so I could do the NPBA "Brunch Run". The run goes from Manhasset Bay, (north shore of Long Island) down the east river to the Statue of Liberty then up the Hudson and across the Harlem River. A nice calm area to run my Donzi. I woke up this morning and it was a rainy, drizzle type of day . I figured what the heck lets go, I haven't gone for a ride since Lake George. I launched the boat, checked the fuel pressure every thing was fine, no leaks. Put on my Life Line Jacket, foul weather gear, goggles and clipped in to the kill switch. Cruised over to Manassett Bay in 3-4 foot waves; not very fun. Then I meet up with several boats waiting to start the run. We started in the sound cruising at 50-60, a little calmer then my ride over, but still 2 footers and boat wakes. I was at the back of the pack with a 37 Outer Limits, 31 Sonic, 33 Fountain, Progression, 32 Skater with 300X's, a Power Play and several other Boat's joined in. I was trying to pick a spot so I wouldn't get in the way; find my own rumb line. I had the tabs down a little and the drive at mid trim. By now we were getting closer to the east River, approaching the Throgs Neck Bridge, it was starting to calm down. A few of the guys started to throttle up, I saw the Outerlimits take off then the Skater, the others followed, By the time we went under the bridge we were all crusing in the 80's, some faster. The water was calm and no boat wakes, I trimmed up a little more, picked up the tabs and I was cruising in high 80's low 90's; caught up to a few boats and pasted some on the way. I was with six to seven boats abreast. Oil pressure was good, water temp steady, engine running around 5700 rpm's. The adrenaline was pumping pretty hard by now, I had to keep my cool and watch the water. Here, I was in the middle of bunch of 30-40 foot Hot Boats, I was in heaven. The only Donzi in the group. The conditions were perfect, so I put her to the pins, the wind started to hurt my ears. The small block was humming, could not look back, I had to concentrate ahead. Glanced at the speedo going around 95, then I trimmed up a little more the boat accelerated, But got a little loose and squirely, back off and got back on, played with the trim a little more found that sweet spot again and aired out the hull; this time I could stay on the throttle for a good 10-15 seconds run, doesn't sound long, but it felt like several minutes. We passed under the Whitestone Bridge and La Guardia Airport was in sight. I backed off to 80 mile per hour cruise to look around. The Outer Limits was off the my starboard and 200-300 yards back, the Skater was of my port and 100 yrds back. They were all way behind me!!! Holy SH!!. :D :D
I had tears in my eyes, It was awesome...
First time I ran the boat agaist other boat's in calm water.

GBond
09-26-2011, 07:55 PM
866 Thats sweet!

x2

roadtrip se
09-26-2011, 08:38 PM
Here is why I love board racing so much, and I have said it before.

As Osur said, it takes tons of set-up time, tuning, and testing to make these boats really run and do it safely. Geeo had some very close calls in the MM, including losing a stabilizer fin at speed. Everybody wants to romanticize that boat and it's legend, but the reality is it was a very dangerous ride at times, even with George at the wheel and all of his experience.

I have spent two and a half seasons working with the latest iteration of my 22. It is far, very far from stock. In the wrong hands, this boat could kill someone pretty easily. But put safety aside for a second.

I know of someone who is putting together a 22 that should go by mine like it is standing still. It his prerogative to talk about it here, but I doubt he will, choosing instead to show what it can do at the rallies. He will run what he brung.

So, I will admit that this stuff is mildly entertaining, but really has no meaning to anyone who is actually is going to get out there and do it responsibly. None.

The Hedgehog
09-26-2011, 10:32 PM
That is awesome 866. I have seen Steve drive plenty. He is good.

The last few mph come with experience. A properly setup 18 with a 6.2 will do right at 70. A first timer won't see much over 65. The 71-72 mph stuff with that setp is the perfect day (light load, chop, warm water, cool air, downhill with the windshield wipers on etc. With decent skill you can hit 68-70.

Up that ante and all these variances are bigger.

catch 22
09-27-2011, 06:45 AM
Roadtrip it's ok to use my name, but my boat is no secret, but I do appreciate the kind words.!!!!:wink::nilly:

Carl C
09-27-2011, 07:31 AM
90 mph. Nice!!! My best is 85.4 with low 80s the norm as set up, and it is set up to run stable and flat. The acceleration can be just as much a rush as the top speed. I love hammering the throttle and pushing everyone back in the seats. :) The 496 just could not do that. Of course there is much more involved than dropping in big power and people can learn about that here. Mine is not the fastest and that was never my intention. I ended up with a stock hp525efi, XR upper, -2 Imco shorty lower, 30p Bravo 1 from BBlades, Zeiger steering, hull has factory hull reinforcement kit plus 4 layers of additional stichmat in the engine room, plus lots of little things of lesser significance. Now when it comes time to rebuild this motor and I start thinking about SCing it, look out. The top dogs will have some competition. That will be years out though, if ever, since I am enjoying it just the way it is. I would like to hear more about the set-up on these faster boats.

ITTLFLI
09-27-2011, 09:58 AM
[ QUOTE=$originalposter]Roadtrip it's ok to use my name, but my boat is no secret, but I do appreciate the kind words.!!!![/QUOTE]

Nice one!:pimp:

joseph m. hahnl
09-27-2011, 03:48 PM
In the wrong hands, this boat could kill someone pretty easily. But put safety aside for a second.

Who would ever have thought that driving a boat at high speed could kill some one so easily.

Do you think that my stock boat in the wrong hands could kill someone pretty easily too. So, I'm thinking to my self "why am I so stupid for not seeing that before you said something about it". Thanks for the info! I think I might trade my Minx's keys for a paddle and just start canoing. Nobody ever died paddling a canoe down a river, or "wait" that might be dangerous too:boggled:. Maybe I should just stick to Automobiles no one ever got killed in a car.
Damn it, maybe I should just stay home in bed, nobody ever died in bed. :shocking:

Just teasing Ya, RT:wink:! I think we are all quite aware of the dangers that present them selves in high speed boating. I don't care how careful you think you may be, a catastrophe can happen at any speed at any moment. It's the precautions you take before hand that can lead to a favorable outcome. :yes:

younger
09-27-2011, 05:50 PM
orsur866 that number is crazy! Look at all the ultra performance manufactures that run in the 80-100mph range and this is a testiment to proper set-up. These other boats all run on up to date hulls designs and you are right there!! Well done! Nothing like running beside a 150 thousand Fountain and giving him the see-ya wave.

roadtrip se
09-27-2011, 09:11 PM
Love it Catch! Got your message today. Locked up at corporate this week, so your secret is good with me for now, but since you have come out here as the man to beat, what are we thinking for next season? 110? What the heck, it's going to be a long board racing season, so you might as well pick a big number...

roadtrip se
09-27-2011, 09:24 PM
No worries Joe. You can drown in a canoe, as easily as that Minx, especially in a side-by-side race between the two of you. All in the name of some serious but safe board racing ya know!

catch 22
09-28-2011, 03:26 AM
I don't think the 454 will like 110, neather will Gina!!!!!:wink:

BUIZILLA
09-28-2011, 07:01 AM
uh...

yeah..

okayyyyy :anchor:

Dr. Dan
09-28-2011, 09:03 AM
And so it goes, the more time that goes by, the more things stay the same.

It is going to be a long Winter....but at least in 2012 I will have two running boats for a change?

5 days and counting til the 22 gets wet again....its been too long...I can only hope I don't have to make up stories about Light on Fuel, Barometric Pressures and Wind, Current and the direction of the Sun and Moon, to have a real speed that I can actually duplicate in public by ...oh boy wait for it.... running my boat in an actual Event. :smash:

Looking forward to running with some of you next year.... be safe, even if you're "Bench Racing" don't forget to wear your big boy pants....

Danny :cool:

BUIZILLA
09-28-2011, 09:12 AM
smart 22 owners are leaving their boats in Fla for the winter... :lookaroun:

Carl C
09-28-2011, 09:16 AM
So it's not OK to discuss fast Classics and set-ups and top end numbers here:boggled:? Not everyone here is able to attend events. Not everyone here wants to drop thousands of dollars when we can run with other Donzis and enjoy our boats locally. I openly admitted that it would be difficult to duplicate my 85+ mph run. It's not all about top speed. It's also about being able to run 2-3 footers at 60 mph. Let the discussion continue, even if you're here just for the national Donzi gatherings.

Dr. Dan
09-28-2011, 10:24 AM

Carl relax...I think its kinda funny that you get so defensive...I agree its about running locally and with others, and no I don't think you have to run in Events....but it is nice to share the builds and the success stories in person thats all? I am sure any boat with a 525 EFI is gonna rock and roll, so calm down....I think your boat is great...and I like your passion.

This kind of reminds me of the Joke where a guy is in a Stadium at a Sporting Event....and every now and then someone from the back Bleechers yells "Dave ...hey Dave" , this goes on for quite a period of time...and eventually the guy stands up and he yells back to the Fan...."Hey my names not Dave!!!!"

It just shows how no matter who we are, or how we think, often we think even a general comment is directed soley at us, as an individual?

I guess its a "if the shoe fits wear it" kinda deal...but in the end it is all in fun...and I think alot of these numbers are all exciting to read...

Take a Zanix Carl...and step away from the Caffeine.... it's all good...

Danny

pipnit
09-28-2011, 11:07 AM
75mph in my 18 is good enough for me.

When I want to really feel like I'm doing something, I go dirt biking.

This board makes me lol, a lot!

Carl C
09-28-2011, 12:38 PM
[ QUOTE]Take a Zanix Carl...and step away from the Caffeine.... it's all good...
[/QUOTE]

Valium is what the doc gives me, Dr. Dan! Glad to hear that you have been working on your 22. Care to talk about your new set-up:hyper:. Are you still gonna give Todd fits? lol

undertaker
09-28-2011, 12:38 PM
Damn I have missed Dr. Dan's posts.....:hyper::hyper:

Slow 22 classic owner.....:smash::hangum:

catch 22
09-28-2011, 12:52 PM
Nice to see you back Dr Dan, it's been a long time my friend :)

Dr. Dan
09-28-2011, 07:27 PM
Carl - I am afraid that Todd's latest reincarnation of his Flower Pot - pretty much has a run on Miracle Grow and I am not playing at that level. I have alot of respect for what Todd has done, even though he knows I love to get him fired up with my Rooster Boy posts...and the like.

With out dragging this into an "As The World Turns" episode....

This year I committed to get the little Chris Craft a new Transplant, for those who have no idea who I am or anything other than Random Derogatory Feedback over the last few years.....

The 22 is a 1993 Donzi by Chris Craft, OMC King Cobra, original power was a 454, 330 HP. A blistering 59mph GPS is about all I had for my first 5 years .... it got me alot of seat time, and I saw alot of Transoms at Events.

In 2004 I was convinced by Todd and Chris Allard that going Blue was the only way to go and so I bit the Bullet...some $20,000 later and alot of education....I now had basically a turn key 80mph boat...full, empty, 5 people or 2 it would haul the groceries.

In May 2009 at the AOTH Event, I developed a cracked Roller Lifter, the needle bearings seized the Cam Shaft at 75 mph, spontaneously displacing the Timing Chain, Gear and all associated hardware. Dwight was kind enough to offer me his version of Sea Tow, back to Jamestown Docks.

Current Day : The new motor is a 509 EFI built by Holden Kramer, Teague replacement Cam, Teague Bling and some healthy new parts....the end result is 618 ft-lbs of Torque at 4000 rpms. The peak horse is around 560 now. Saris Racing/Performance Marine did the ECM Programming, and did a re-map of the Fuel Curve and Dyno. Jason said its one of the strongest 500 EFI rebuilds he has helped to set up. He attributed it to his tuning and a quality hand build by Holden.

Whats cool is the 572 which is in the Pantera...makes 716 ft-lbs and 705 HP. So for a little displacement Motor...the new 509 is strong, within a 100 ft-lbs of the big boat....it should have some serious torque for what it is...its not a Flower Pot, Ron Potter...but its a tight build and should be fun.

I opted to go with a Dual Shifter from Dana Marine, to keep the two boats similar to operate. The Shifter is a Teal Base with a Polished Levers, the initial Shifter had a stock thickness plate...but we felt it was too close to the side of the boat, so Dana is machining another Custom 1 " Thick Base Plate. This will be Worlds most expensive shifter....but it will look cool as hell and be one of a kind.

The Battery Boxes are all new Keith Eckert Polished Billet-with step plates and Blue Optima Batteries. Again...not cheap...and they look bad azz....we are doing a reverse plate stringer mount...those are also Polished Billet.

For now we are keeping the King Cobra...with an eventual conversion to an XR, from the Transom of his new Big Brother...the 28 Pantera. We plan on an extention box with full hydraulic for the Donzi. The 28 will be getting an SCX or equal in the future.

I have no expectations other than to hope the 22 still floats and runs 80 like it used to.

Thats the deal.... right there, thanks for welcoming be back into the fold.

Danny :spongebob:

Carl C
09-28-2011, 07:53 PM
That all sounds cool. You are a charter member here. Also, I remember drooling over that 500 EFI when we boated on Silver Lake. I really wanted a Mercury Racing engine in mine and now I do. You and Todd were a big inspiration for me. :)

The Hedgehog
09-28-2011, 09:08 PM
That is some great stuff there Dan. Really great. Congrads on the numbers. I know that will be a good time. That is one hell of a recovery from a nasty little engine problem. My hat is off to you. I would really enjoy seeing either of your boats run!

gcarter
09-29-2011, 08:10 AM
Congratulations Doc!
That's a great story.
When I first met you, you hadn't quite finished the 500 install.
Remeber the trailer swap just south of Baltimore?

Dr. Dan
09-29-2011, 09:23 AM

Hey George, oh boy...how could I forget that? That was an education....you and Charlie got rooked in that deal...

Yep its a story...and only a partial one at that...but I highlighted the important parts.... the 28 continues to live up to its name "Insolent Minx" every now and then it does its own version of a reality check..... a week ago we burnt a piston we think...so after only 25 hours on the new rebuild its going back to its creator...if it happens again in any way shape or form...I am done with that shop...nice folks...but a Crank Shaft at 169 hours and a burnt Piston at 25 hours is enough to give even me fits....

Especially when the HP 500 EFI ran non-stop turn key balls to wall anytime I wanted, for 5 years...it starts to make you lose confidence in the Builder? Regardless of a parts failure or not...pullin a Motor is pullin a Motor....and a 7 hour drive North is still a 7 hour drive...double all that, add the Labor to have it all done and whatever it actually costs me and it gets out in the Weeds pretty darn fast.

Love the boat...but the Karma associated with it has been almost Satanic in nature? I also rebuilt the Upper about 6 weeks ago ...which is gonna happen....but still. I only have so many 2nd Chances in my Wallet...we are almost out of them.

I am genuinely considering dumping the Pantera as much as I like it...and just getting my Shelby to park in the garage?

I will still have the Donzi....of course. Who knows...play it by ear...my original thought was to have Liz drive the 28 and fill it with Hot Chics...and I can drive the 22 with none of the "Rev Limiters" screaming in my ear. That is looking more and more like a Pipe Dream....

But I am soooooo excited to run the 22 and spend copious amounts of fuel in it...cuz no matter what I spend in fuel, it wont even equal 1 tank in the 28?

Doc of Split Boat Personalities :wink:

gcarter
09-29-2011, 09:40 AM
"Hey George, oh boy...how could I forget that? That was an education....you and Charlie got rooked in that deal..."

Yeah Doc.....I can't remember how many times folks told me that my boat was missing on the way up there!!!!!

I don't know many people that can afford to continuously rebuild engines....In fact I don't know anyone that can, so I understand your consternation.

Ranman
09-29-2011, 01:22 PM
Great updates Dr. Dan. I've been out of pocket for a while, but i still like to lurk and there's still an 18 in my garage. Best of luck to you and Liz.

fysis
09-29-2011, 02:16 PM
[ QUOTE=$originalposter]{$pagetext}[/QUOTE] Congrat. OSUR. Great achivement breaking 90. I´m very impressed. I can imagine all the work and testing it took and the seat time you must have before getting there. :sweden:

Greg Guimond
09-29-2011, 06:11 PM
Old friends united, new data records established, safety tips, and there are still a few runs left before Winter :)