PDA

View Full Version : looking at an 18 foot classic/seeking advice

Capevettes
09-22-2011, 03:03 PM
I am going to look at an 18 foot Classic Donzi for possible purchase. It is a 2000 with 110 hours, described as in almost new condition. 2nd owner, some salt water use but flushed each use. Was primarily a lake boat until 2007. 350 Mag MPI, Alpha One, Capt's choice exhaust. Asking price of $15,500. I am looking at the boat on Saturday. With the info given, how does this sound? Are these boats reliable? I live on a 730 acre lake and it will be used solely on the Lake.

Thanks in advance for any and all info from you guys who know alot more about these boats than me.

Paul

Kirbyvv
09-22-2011, 03:14 PM
The price sounds very good for a 2000 with those hours, if it's in decent shape. Post some photos and more details once you've checked it out. Where in Mass are you located?

Just Say N20
09-22-2011, 03:16 PM
Welcome to the board!

Sounds like a nice boat. That is a dependable package, and 110 hours is barely broken in. The boat will be an honest 60+ mph boat, probably mid-60s. That makes a 730 acre lake pretty small. :wink:

Captains choice exhaust will be nice to have, especially if you want to do an evening slow cruise, and don't want to upset the neighbors.

Is the engine closed cooling? That would be better given the salt water use, but if it was flushed correctly after salt water use, it shouldn't be a problem.

Post some pictures when you have had a chance to check it out.

Fishermanjm
09-22-2011, 03:30 PM
welcome aboard,,, this is a great place to get all the answers to your Donzi questions,,, where on the cape are ya from?

Capevettes
09-22-2011, 04:17 PM
Thank you for the input guys. I appreciate it. I am located in Sandwich and live on Mashpee/Wakeby Lake. I do not know if it is open or closed cooling but will check. I just spoke with the Marina that maintained the boat. The mechanic that worked on it described the boat as perfect. Now all I have to do is break the news to my wife when she gets home :confused:.

Thanks for the welcome and the input.

Capevettes
09-22-2011, 04:19 PM
[ QUOTE=$originalposter]{$pagetext}[/QUOTE] I like to take a run around the lake in the morning around sunrise so that exhaust sounds perfect. Durning the day I will want to hear it bark :tongue:

Fishermanjm
09-23-2011, 06:59 AM
I know the lake, we camp close by on peters pond, is the boat on the cape? Sandwich is my fav cape place, we also camp at Shawme alot also nothin like a ride down 6A to Barnstable,,, hope you get your new to you boat, luck to you!!!!!
jim

Capevettes
09-23-2011, 07:15 AM
Hi Jim. The boat is located off Cape. Peter's Pond is a nice spot. Although there has been some recent controversy over fees and business practices. Maybe I'll catch you on one of your trips to the Cape.

Capevettes
09-24-2011, 06:30 PM
Just to update: Looked at the boat today and it is in perfect condition. It looks almost brand new. We have a deal contingent on a satisfactory test drive on Tuesday. Even my wife is excited about it. If it runs as good as it looks it will be parked at my dock on Tuesday. The seller is a terrific, stand-up guy.

Looks like I may need some goggles. What are you guys wearing?

mike o
09-26-2011, 07:21 AM
The safety landyard...........:biggrin.: