PDA

View Full Version : How to make rooster tail ?

abdulla
09-20-2011, 12:42 AM
Hi every body :)
I have donzi classic 22 with 502 mpi / and bravo one
So who to make a rooster tail ??:(

glashole
09-20-2011, 04:51 AM
keep trimming

axelkloehn
09-20-2011, 08:42 AM
...and ruin your drive joints

Carl C
09-20-2011, 04:05 PM
Imco -2" shorty lower. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kSUWplf6m6A

olredalert
09-20-2011, 05:13 PM
-----You could track down a couple of those plastic things that we used to screw to our water-skis.......Bill S

joseph m. hahnl
09-20-2011, 06:48 PM
Trim up till she breaks loose :yes: Do not ever use the trailer button to go past the trim limit switch when under way :shocking:

biggiefl
09-20-2011, 08:02 PM
I can NOT believe you still use the trailer button.....what gives? I disconnected mine in 1986.

Fishermanjm
09-21-2011, 06:56 AM
do some classics have a seperate switch,,,trailer and trim??? i have been to the top of the full trim part of the switch and than bumped the second part of the switch once or twice to get a lil more rpm's and speed, the boat reacted to the drive being higher than the trim limit and took off thats the only way i can get a rooster tail and my top speed of 67 on gps 5400 rpm but,,, not for long, that was too fast for me

MOP
09-21-2011, 08:45 AM
[ QUOTE=$originalposter]{$pagetext}[/QUOTE] Trimmed correctly you would be in the low 70's@5K with the boat feeling more like it was in control not so loose.

Fishermanjm
09-21-2011, 01:38 PM
Phil, the boat is very much so in control,,, i trimmed it out the way you and fixx had told me to do it a while ago, as the speed and rpm's increase it can be trimmed more passed the limit switch, i will bump the switch a couple of times and than the rooster tail will rise up. I think it feels in control,,, its just that i am not very comfortable with the speed YET,,,

biggiefl
09-21-2011, 01:53 PM
I never shoot roosters as I have not gotten to that point yet but I do have the trailer button disconnected. Everything goes off the trim button like EVERY other manufacturer has done since day 1. Most of my boats will slip pretty good before they shoot a tail which although may look cool, means you are losing speed. I will try another high speed run this weekend and see how it goes. So far about 62 GPS with the 330 B1 and 23 mirage....no tail.:cool:

09-21-2011, 03:32 PM
Put a surface drive on the boat

younger
09-21-2011, 03:49 PM
I've never looked behind while driving the blackhawk to see if it throws a rooster tail. They say it does!!!!!!!!!!!

craigdskilling
09-21-2011, 04:05 PM
To tell the truth younger it shoots a good rooster cause i saw it when i was behind.next year you will be seeing the back of mine pal.lol with the 31 and some new tricks should see some bigger#.along with a rooter.

Pismo
09-21-2011, 04:27 PM
We used to trim our old Century 228 way past the limit, it would slip hugely with the aluminum prop but it would throw a good tail. Did it for years with no trouble. I was 13.

pipnit
09-21-2011, 08:40 PM
This thread makes me :rlol:

Fishermanjm
09-22-2011, 07:23 AM
good to see that your amused by it,,,too many threads here seem to bring out the madness

younger
09-22-2011, 08:01 AM
The sign of a big rooster alot of times is lack of efficency. The trust of the prop is just putting its energey in the air and not thrusting the boat forward. This is the case with standard x-dim. as you start to reduce the x moving the prop closer to the surface the prop will inheritly push water in the air. As you start to run in a surface drive configuration the lose of efficency from the rooster is far less then what is gained by reduced drive hydrodynamics. The surface drive has the design in the props as well to coupe with this. A standard prop does not do so well running on the surface, hence when over trimmed the prop comes to the surface and up comes he rooster tail. When trimming a standard merc drive one should not lift the drive at operating speed past the drive supports on the bottom of the gimble housing. If you do the drive pins have to support all the load. For the cool factor nothing beats the roostertail.

mattyboy
09-22-2011, 08:16 AM
you want a rooster tail!

Buy a jet,a blackhawk or an eggbeater! or an arney!

http://www.lgdonziclassic.com/gallery/v/2011dustoff/sregatta/IMG_5587.JPG.html :p

zelatore
09-22-2011, 09:40 AM
It must just be me, or the boats I grew up seeing on Kentucky Lake or something, but generally when I see a big rooster tail I think "redneck".

I get it that serious boats with surfacing props both go fast and throw a big tail. But there weren't any drives like that on the lake in those days. Rooster tails generally came from some guy with about 6 teeth and a crappy old jet boat that made a lot of noise but didn't actually go fast. Sort of like the boating equivalent of a rusted out '80 Camero with cherry bombs. You know the car - 200 hp, 17 second 1/4 mile, but the owner acted like it was a Yenko. The jets I used to see on the lake were pretty much the same thing. Dry above-transom exhaust, flat bottom, top speed about 50 but they made a heck of a lot of noise doing it, so they must be fast! Hey, why is that bow rider with the kids in the front keeping up with us...?

roadtrip se
09-22-2011, 01:03 PM
I have thrown a rooster and I have a home in Kentucky. But fortunately, I am more of a Ford guy, so I strike out on the Camaro qualifier, thank goodness.

I used to throw a lot of rooster. My configuration just called for it as the sweet spot at WOT. I always enjoyed the driving advice and warnings I received from many folks here for over a decade. Now the boat throws just a bit of one, as she cranks up through the mid-range. Then everything levels out behind the boat as the speed climbs, even though there is still some evidence of the roost.

See pics below from Chattanooga this year. First one is at mid-range, second is at top end or close to it. Third is a panoramic montage of a drive-by, which is just cool. Credits to Tidbart, here, for his expert photography work.

End of the story? I wouldn't be looking to do this on purpose. Why give anyone a warning that they are about to see your transom?

"Rebel"

biggiefl
09-22-2011, 01:22 PM
My rooster is not really a rooster, kinda like your pic#2. I doubt it is higher than my transom at WFO....2' maybe. If I am in chop then I get the occassional 5-6' as my trim changes due to waves. "

"Here they come to snuff the rooster! But ya know he aint gonna die!"

Barry Eller
09-22-2011, 01:48 PM
Just a little one from YIPPY-KAI-YAY....

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-823465654882711912#

Fishermanjm
09-22-2011, 03:20 PM
who's better than Barry,,, it's hard to be humble when you own a donzi,,,

Just Say N20
09-22-2011, 03:24 PM
I apologize in advance if this offends someone.

OK, I have to make this "observation," especially in light of Zel's comments.

The second I saw the title of the tread, I thought "some crazy middle-easterner wants to put on a show." Then I saw the post was by someone with a screen name of Abdulla, so I checked the public profile and found location = Kuwait.

Maybe I have watched too many YouTube videos posted from that area. . . .

. . . .but they do seem to be the current version of Zel's childhood boaters.

Pismo
09-22-2011, 03:31 PM
Outboards throw good tails, who cares how high you tilt it.

Dr. David Fleming
09-23-2011, 10:04 AM
Roostertail is originally the result of racing boats of the three-point hydroplane configuration. In these boats the two front sponsons ride like pontoons and the rear flat hydroplane hull runs on the surface of the water. Really fast racers would develop enough power for the propellor to lift the back of the hull out of the water and start riding on the prop - hence the term "prop riders." This was the beginning of surface running propellors developed by Merc and others - blades shaped like meat cleavers.

The Unlimited Hydroplane Class of APBA boat racing always featured the high speed boats running with rooster tails developed from the spray off of the surface running propellor. It was the sign of true performance in the 1950's. An assortment of amature boaters would be entirely impressed if they could get a rooster from their outboard pleasure craft.

Roostertail is the name of a famous restaurant located on the racing circuit in the Detroit River near the grandstand.