PDA

View Full Version : Mystery Water 1999 Donzi Z-20

Jwalker
09-19-2011, 07:04 PM
I have a 1999 Donzi Z-20 Bowrider thhat has 2 drain plugs....When I first got the boat I put in the plug in the back and launched the boat...Boy was I surprised to have the automatic bilge pumping water..When I opened the engine cover I was surprised to see water rushing in the engine compartment from a hole on the back seat side at the bottom of the engine compartment....

I went and got my trailer , put the boat on it and was surprised to see another drain plug toward the front of the boat at the step down hull part...

My question is this....After a long day on the water when I un screw the brass plugs I am shocked at all of the water that is coming from the front plug...Where is it coming from? Shouldn't water from the storage locker and front of the boat be making it's way to the back???

Seems like a lot of dead weight

Help

mattyboy
09-20-2011, 08:59 AM
Not to familiar with the drain setup on a stepped z-20 but a few things to try.

first drain both drains trailer the boat up a steep hill to make sure most if not all of the water is gone. then if you can leave the boat in the slip for a good period over night if possible then trailer again and see if there's water. this will tell you if the water is getting in at or below the waterline.

leaky drain plug, bellows

If there is no water then head out for the day when you come back in and there's water it is coming from something that gets water while running.
things to look for

busted speedo tube
water getting in the deck hull joint from waves
leakes around fixtures the gas tank vent portholes if any
do you do alot of swimming off the boat?

hope that helps

Jwalker
09-20-2011, 12:18 PM
Thank you for the input and possible causes....

Yes we do swim a lot!:yes:

biggiefl
09-20-2011, 02:02 PM
You would be amazed at how much water a kid can drain into a boat. I would listen to Matty but be carefull leaving overnight, might be in the bottom come morning.

mattyboy
09-20-2011, 03:58 PM
If you do swim alot and the water seems to be mainly in the front have the kids drip and dry off on the back of the boat try not to let anyone wet up front and see.