PDA

View Full Version : Navagation Apps

CHACHI
09-19-2011, 12:52 PM
I just picked up a Droid 3 and found a bunch of nav apps for it.

Anyone using any of the available navagation apps on their smart phone?

Thoughs, likes, dislikes?

Ken

RedDog
09-19-2011, 03:34 PM
I like the Google Maps / Navigation best from what I have tried. Open to trying others though.

On another note, I have played around lately with Geo Cacheing. Fun past time. Try c:geo from the Market.

silverghost
09-19-2011, 04:17 PM
My neighbor just installed the Navionics US East Coast Marine GPS/Chart App for only $19.95 about two weeks ago and he loves it.

The charts look great and are very detailed.
Fishing wrecks, marinas, gas etc. all included.

Fishermanjm
09-20-2011, 06:57 AM
who would have ever thought that one day we would have navigational maps on our phones??? bad news for garmin, the first garmin chartplotter i bought, i had to buy the blue chart chip that cost 300$

CHACHI
09-20-2011, 08:58 AM
Thanks all for the responses.

Now to go shopping.

Ken

VetteLT193
09-21-2011, 07:32 AM
I have the navionics app for my area. It's great, free updates and very detailed. It doesn't do routes well, but it works well enough to get where you need to go and tell where you are. I wish I could see the phone better during the day though. I have the car mount for mine and I can flip it upside down and suction it to the dash. If they make a car mount for your phone I highly recommend it. makes for navigating in the car easy too.

CHACHI
09-21-2011, 07:49 AM
Vette, car mount is coming.

Ken

silverghost
09-21-2011, 09:35 AM
The Navioniics charts I believe were really designed for marine navigation ; and not highway travel navigation.
There may be better highway Apps available out there.

zelatore
09-21-2011, 10:24 AM
[ QUOTE=$originalposter]{$pagetext}[/QUOTE]

SG - I don't think he's suggesting to use the Navionics charts in the car - they would be next to useless for that. But they are pretty much the same stuff you use on real chartplotters as Navionics provides the charts for many of the major manufactures out there. I also think he was suggesting that a suction cup car mount can work on the boat.

I've played with the Navionics app a little on an iphone, though I don't have it on my current HTC Thunderbolt. Even though the Tbolt has about the biggest screen available on a phone (it borders on too big for a phone) it's really no substitute for a real chartplotter on a boat - it's just waaaay too small and hard to read in direct sun. On the other hand, if you just want something you can check periodically instead of something you can really drive by, it's well worth the money.

Heck, even the 5" Garmin in my Donzi is really smaller than I like. I've got a 12" display in my Carver - given enough dash space I consider that about the right size. Of course, I don't object to even bigger or multiple displays, but now we're just getting silly...:wink:

The Hedgehog
09-25-2011, 08:19 PM
I used the Navionics app on the iPad as a backup and will continue to do so. It is an awesome app!