PDA

View Full Version : My 18 TR. Thank you

patricke
09-16-2011, 05:34 PM
Hey folks,

I am a long-time donzi lover and lurker of this wonderful forum but this Registry has recently taken on a new meaning for me.

It was summer of 1993 on a balmy afternoon on the California delta that I had my first encounter with such a machine. My father and I had pulled up to our usual beach in our old 16' glasspar which was equipped with an 85hp Evinrude outboard....a boat that I had operated since a very young age and still own to this day. We enjoyed many sunny days on this beach and that day I had no idea I would develop a border-line obsession. At 14 I would be falling in love with a yellow-trimmed 16 foot classic that pulled up to the beach 60 feet down from us.

As it approached us I really had never heard anything like it. I mean, honestly at that point in my life I had heard literlaly hundreds of muscle boats but this one was refined. It was the deep velvety sound that all of you on this registry know all too well. I got goosebumps. I walked closer to it as they were pulling in and I could not believe that that noise was coming from such a classicly lined, sophisticated shell. It was really a display of humble sexiness I had not seen before.

I had no clue what a Donzi was, let a lone a Donzi Classic. Being a shy teenager I just stared and took every mental note i could while it was in front of me promising to remember the Donzi name on the side of the boat. Believe it or not, on the west coast here, you really do not see Donzi's much and I had never seen one before even with all my time on the inland waterways and Pacific Ocean.

The couple would put their feet in the water for a few minutes and then soon turn the boat around to leave. My Dad and I had never seen a boat get on plane so quickly and slice through oncoming wake like this one did. the engine roared (which must've been a hot 350 set up as It was a pre OMC) and hit 60 like it was nothing. The hair stood up on the back of my neck as I watched those two pipes spit from the back of that transom.

The years following I would day dream and come here to this sight for countless hours just to fantasize about sitting in the Cockpit of a Classic. This would continue through my college years as I would search in the computer lab endlessly to find the perfect one......which was quite laughable really. Someday I figured if I was fortunate enough I would get to have one for myself.

That day came 2 weeks ago and I am now the proud owner of a babied, 300hr original motor Testarossa 18. My 18 year fantasy came to life and I couldn't believe that I would be able to find one so close to my house. I also never thought I would be able to do 60 mph on the water with a flick of my wrist. Keep in mind ol' glassy did 37 on a good day with that outboard.....going with the current, wind at my back.

So, in short, I would like to thank this community for keeping my dream alive, sparking my passion whenever I drifted away with the thoughts of never being able to own one. I am looking forward to spending more time here and sharing stories with everyone about these wonderful boats we have fallen in love with.

Happy Boating!

-Patrick

OFFSHORE GINGER
09-16-2011, 06:02 PM
Congrats and welcome to the board.

gcarter
09-16-2011, 06:20 PM
Congratulations and welcome.
You'll have some company as there're some members in your area.
I'm sure they'll pipe up soon.

There weren't many 18 TR's built, maybe fewer than 10.
I'm restoring a 22 TR, and hope to be finished soon after more than four years of work on it.

RockyS18
09-16-2011, 06:30 PM
Congratulations!! Enjoy the beautiful boat. It's a rare one.

Greg Guimond
09-16-2011, 07:02 PM
That is a rare 18 you have there. Brings new meaning to "good things happen to those who wait". Welcome and enjoy :yes:

patricke
09-16-2011, 07:12 PM
[ QUOTE=$originalposter]{$pagetext}[/QUOTE]

Thanks guys.
Yeah I know, pretty unbelieveable my first classic's a TR. I think it has been documented on this registry as well. I forgot to thank Mike who sold me this boat. Great guy and he was as crazy about her as I am and it shows with her amazing condition.

GCarter, I have read your resto project thread front to back.....wow. Amazing work man.

biggiefl
09-16-2011, 09:27 PM
Was this the same TR that has been on E-Bay in CA in August, etc? I wish it was closer as I would have gladly bought that boat. I am still amazed at the RI 22 in red for $15,900. If I was closer to FL(again) I would have gladly bought that boat.

inlander
09-17-2011, 03:48 AM
Hey Patrick

Glad to see you on the Registry and I appreciate the kind words.

Great thread on your introduction to Donzi's.

It was a blast to take her out one last time. She sure was running so sweet and I'm going to miss her, but it's all part of the plan to find Donzi #3. It was a pleasure doing business with you and glad the TR went home with a guy that truly appreciates these fine boats. The sale process went as good as I could have expected. It's all good when both seller and buyer are happy with their decisions.

Only problem is... I'm trying to figure out how to put "Ed" in my luggage, to take as my pocket mechanic, when I head out on the next Donzi search. Will he still check out a boat for a hamburger?

Still scratching my head over this...

What! A boat mechanic that can't swim? Tell Ed, I'll teach him how to swim, if he winterizes my next Donzi.

Can't wait to use the "Patrick Donzi Buying Negotiating Method," for the the next boat. Maybe I'll find what I'm looking for out here on the west coast, so I can bring you and Ed along.

Think there's enough of us out here to start the West Coast Donzi Owner's Club yet?

Oh yea...Nice Goggles! Also, just noticed...got to update my avatar to "Donziless."

Mike

RedDog
09-17-2011, 07:20 AM
Welcome and great post. Are you a writer? If not maybe you should be...

G-MAN
09-17-2011, 02:28 PM
Great story, cant wait till I find one some day.

rocksmann
09-18-2011, 02:02 AM
I also boat the delta I have a 73 x18 that goes to steam boat slough a few times a year right now the engine is out but hope to see your boat soon great boat Bill

Pismo
09-18-2011, 08:00 AM
Great picture.

thescooter
09-18-2011, 09:14 AM
i agree great story, great writing, and have a great time enjoying your boat.
thescooter

zelatore
09-18-2011, 09:09 PM
Looks like we're starting to build quite a NorCal/delta contengent here on the forum.

Just for the record, I'm in Walnut Grove on the Sac river. And sadly, the only boating I'm doing currently is in work boats, or occasionally my dinghy or Carver. The Donzi sits in the garage waitig on me to build a new motor...which looks like it will happen this fall/winter.

Hope to see some of you guys on the delta next spring!

Rocksman - I'm usually on Steamboat. My normal launch is Hogback.

patricke
09-19-2011, 10:54 PM
Thanks for all the kind words guys. No I am not a writer lol, that day is still just so vivid to me. My mechanic, as mentioned above by Mike does not know how to swim believe it or not but he is the best damned boat mechanic in my area. Mike jokes about my buying technique but what was ironic is that when testing the compression Ed would pop his head out every time and yell, "150!". He did that 8 times then I knew I was stuck paying almost full price!! Dam him.

btw Mike, having those glass spots repaired for $300 and had deck swirls removed...lookin nice.

My frog goggles are not a fashion statement believe it or not but more of a necessity here in nor cal. In the evening I have to slip into these as they have a light lens and keep all the flying bugs in our ag regions from hitting my eyes at 60mph. :cool!:

Nor Cal guys lets get a spring dust off arranged. Im at Garlic Brothers at village West let me know!!

biggiefl
09-24-2011, 09:20 AM
If these are so rare...better move quick http://miami.craigslist.org/brw/boa/2613439155.html

Ghost
09-24-2011, 09:23 AM
But if you decide to buy it, do mind the cat...

biggiefl
09-24-2011, 09:55 AM
That happened backing it in...luckily he has 8 more left.

rocksmann
09-25-2011, 10:35 PM
[ I all around I put in at viearas or snug I will look for you at hog back next season my boat is yellow and white hope to see you soon Bill

QUOTE=$originalposter]{$pagetext}[/QUOTE]

rocksmann
09-25-2011, 10:39 PM
I would love to get a dust off I know a bunch of donzi guys from Tahoe