PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone done a "wrap" for the deck stripe?

biggiefl
09-15-2011, 02:43 PM
I know the stripe is going to require CONSTANT buffing in the FL sun even though I keep her covered. I was thinking instead of painting to have a wrap done in red with the black pinstripe which can always be removed to "preserve" originality down the road or when it becomes old and haggard. Maybe have the Donzi Logo going down it as well like some of the models. Has anyone done this and if so what was the cost? Not the whole deck, just the stripe. Plus if you have a lead or pic, etc let me know.

joseph m. hahnl
09-15-2011, 04:38 PM
I wonder if a gas spill while fueling would destroy it.:boggled:

MOP
09-15-2011, 06:01 PM
Someone just recently wrapped the sides, they may have some input. And yes gas may crinkle it!

4plaay
09-15-2011, 06:28 PM
I would try very hard to keep gas off of it. Maybe don't fill all the way to the top and keep a rag around for spillage when filling. As for the vinyl itself, keep it above the waterline and even in the Florida sun you should get at least 5 to 7 years out of the good 3m stuff (dont buy anything but 3m or Oracle). When your shopping for vinyl make certain it has the micro air vent lines which makes it 100x easier to put on. When you are sick of it simply grab a corner and start peeling. Heating it up a little during removal helps soften the glue but either way it shouldn't hurt the gelcoat. Once its off you can expect to have to use denatured alcohol to get the goop off then a good buff-n-wax. I just wrapped the sides of my boat and I'm doing the top deck strip this weekend. Here is a picture of the side:

biggiefl
09-15-2011, 07:40 PM
Awesome....what will it cost for the stripe? Please keep me posted about cost, application, etc. I can do paint cheap but I REALLY want to have it original if be.

yeller
09-15-2011, 09:39 PM
I couldn't get a good price on painting my deck stripe and hatch (Donzi) logo, so I did it in vinyl to get me by until I found a painter.

Mine is a dual white stripe with silver metalic pinstiping with the Donzi prop logo on the hatch. I can't remember the exact cost, but I think it was only $200. Turned out great. What really surprised me was how "sparkly?" the metalic was. I didn't think vinyl could sparkle that much. People are surprised when I tell them the stripe is vinyl.

BTW: I have the prop logo in pretty much any file you like, if you want a vinyl company to make it for you. Just PM me an email address.

biggiefl
09-15-2011, 10:59 PM
Got a lead?

Dr. David Fleming
09-16-2011, 04:20 PM
Nathan Oprita of Image Authenics in Kimball, Michigan. I have seen this guy wrap a 45 foot Fountain. Thats 45 feet of wrap each side. Can reproduce the engine decals, stripes, boat names, just about any graphic you see on a race boat. nathan@imageauthentics.com He did some antique outboard gas tank logos all were fuel proof.

Planetwarmer
09-16-2011, 06:00 PM
I have a friend with a wrap on his Skater. He is going to have it removed and have it painted. The vinyl didnt hold up well to fenders. It would work well if you never tied up to another boat or tied to a dock in rough water.

My .02 cents

4plaay
09-16-2011, 09:02 PM
My entire boat in black was $140. Your not looking at too much $$$.

biggiefl
09-16-2011, 09:12 PM
4plaay... it can be mailed so please send me a lead.

planetwarmer....no offense but I wa sonly taling about the deck stripe, not the sides.

Dr...thanks!

Planetwarmer
09-17-2011, 10:32 PM
[ QUOTE=$originalposter]{$pagetext}[/QUOTE]

Oh, I know, I was putting that idea out there for everyone to see for folks who may be thinking of a wrap job. It would have never crossed my mind that the vinyl would be more easily damaged by bumpers and docks until I saw how beaten-up the sides of my bud's boat looks after one season. What might just be a light scratch on gel turns into a bunched up piece of vinyl if the wrap gets damaged.

Planetwarmer
09-17-2011, 10:34 PM
Just curious, how much more would it be to have the stripe painted by Aamco followed by a urethane clear? That may only be a couple hundred dollars! It shouldnt take too much of an artist to paint an already existing stripe.

This may not be correct at all, but I have heard that it really damages the finish when you remove the vinyl. That may be something to consider if you are trying to keep the boat original.

Just a thought-

CaribouLou
09-17-2011, 11:25 PM
I had red vinyl on the deck stripe of my 22 classic. Buyer didn't even notice. Looked great.

450rrrr
09-18-2011, 01:27 PM
not sure of your location.my boat had a wrap on it prior to my purchase. and i have know idea of how long it was on.but the boat is a 08.so i could nt have been that long as i have owned it for a year.i can still see the donzi logo burnt into the white finish of the deck.and i have cleaned it with rubbing compound on two diferant ocasions.the florida sun .heat and humidity take there toll.i have even considered haveing vinal cut to cover it.just something to think about with a wrap.i do know the sign company that cut most of donzi s paint mask s. and they cut vinal as well. they cut the vinal the exact same as the side logo on my zr

biggiefl
09-18-2011, 01:49 PM
I am in the Sarasota area. I just want to do the stripe...in red so it looks OEM. I "might" have the donzi logo put on the stripe. When removed it should look OEM again. My main concern is that it might trap moisture, heat, etc and when I remove it the gel is spidercracked or ???

450rrrr
09-19-2011, 08:27 PM
check out auto trim and design down by florida ave on 41..its next to burger king..stop in and let them know what you have in mind.i brought home 4 different shades of red samples to match up to the boat.great people to deal with..and they have alot of donzi s designs.
watch out for a red 27 zr...say hi

biggiefl
09-19-2011, 08:39 PM
I know Auto trim design...been around forever. I have used them a few times.

450rrrr
09-19-2011, 09:03 PM
they cut alot of donzi original paint masks.they remade a perfect zr in vinal for me.good luck with your project