PDA

View Full Version : 22 classic with a 350?

deyelm
09-14-2011, 06:18 AM
Just wondering if anyone has one and if you can comment on performance/fuel economy/abilty to ski behind it.....I am looking to uprgrade my sweet 16 with 4.3, looking for something bigger for use on bigger water, able to hit 55 mph with reasonable fuel economy. Thanks, Matt

Budmann
09-19-2011, 04:45 PM
Hey Matt, I hve one of six 86' 22's with a small block. i have been thru 3 motors and would never dream of a BBC.

My boat runs 72 and feels VERY safe in big water. I can also tell you that I can run almost all weekend on "one" tank of gas while a couple of my buddies with big blocks have to fill up each day.

Hope that helps...

Bud Staples

biggiefl
09-19-2011, 08:21 PM
No offense but I disagree. If I run 35 and you run 35 I bet you are within 1-2gph from me. I was looking for a blown 22 to put a SBC 320 in it but from what I read here you want/need the torque of a BBC. With todays engines, I doubt that anymore but I don't think you will be amazed at the fuel savings over a 350/377....HP is HP no matter how you look at it. A 22C needs X amount of hp to run 35 no matter what the engine. For the extra few bucks a year I would rather have the BBC and have an awesome holeshot and midrange....in the end it all washes out at WFO. Either way I can't see you going wrong but many here think the 22 needs the aft weight for ride/perfomance. Don't kill the messenger, do a search.

VetteLT193
09-21-2011, 10:57 AM
[ QUOTE=$originalposter]{$pagetext}[/QUOTE]

There is more to it than that. There is an efficiency level of any given engine/RPM level AND weight to consider. I can tell you I could get 4 MPG in my Minx, a number I could NEVER get in a BBC 22. I believe MOP (another member with a SBC 22) gets similar MPG in his 22.

For efficiency purposes a 22 with a Small Block will beat one with a Big Block in almost every case.

Budmann
09-22-2011, 04:46 PM
Biggiefl... in regard to ur post regarding a 22 needing big block weight, my 22 needs NO trim tab to run @ 40 mph @ 3000 rpms.

i have three friends that run the Suwannee with me quite often and ALL of them need to us tab or the boat starts to porpoise.

I also plane with very little effort and can go slowey on a plane than a big block. simple hoursepower to weight ratio.

biggiefl
09-24-2011, 09:23 AM
True but I get over 3.5 so what is .3-.5gph for 104 more cubes?

MOP
09-27-2011, 04:51 PM
I also have a SB 22, it originally was a 300 Tempest setup now a mild 383, the SB 22 IMO handles better and flies much better off a wake. Even with the 383 I get 4 mpg @ cruise which is 43 @ 3200, I top out @ 65.5 but spend nearly -0- time up there. No question you can get into short staining speeds with a BB, but I am long got past trying to prove anything. When I was getting ready to do mine over I was offered a Merc 500 that had been over heated, I Know I could have rebuilt it for spit compared to what is in the 383 but did not think twice about turning it down. My goal was a bullet proof setup which I have, those that have run with me know it came out fine.

biggiefl
10-06-2011, 12:49 PM
22' with a SBC is not rare no matter what manufacturer. I hadd a 21' Scarab 1 and she flew and got great mileage. I looked at 1987 22 with a blown 454 and an aplha 1 w/1.32. Boat was a wreck. If it would have looked half as good as the pics I was going to put a 350/320 roller in it that my friend has in his garage. I have a 383 400hp in my Vette and yes it is also bulletproof. The upper end is from a 320 Mercruiser with the stage 3 Vortec heads. I wanted a 454/330 as they are not much more than a truck engine and can take some serious abuse. I would have gladly taken a SBC but I was insistent on a B1. Alphas are great but Bravos shift so smoothly and you don't have to worry about it with my HP. Sure an Alpha is faster but when the time came to beef up the SBC I would want a B1 behind me.

deyelm
11-01-2011, 04:50 AM
[ QUOTE=$originalposter]{$pagetext}[/QUOTE]

Thanks for your thoughts guys,I picked up a 1999 22 classic with a merc 350 MPI, she is beauty,can't wait till spring.Time will tell,I opted for the small block after reading a lot of posts on the subject.All I know is gas isn't getting cheaper and I have too many toys that requires it!looking forward to dunking her in the lake in the spring!All i can do now is crack a beer and go look at it in the garage......thru hulls are going to sound great

Mooglide93
11-01-2011, 07:42 PM
Hello Matt,
I have a stock '94 22 Classic with a 350ci/ 260hp merc. I bought her early this year and it had 70 hours on it. I have put around 40 hours on her cruising Lake Lanier this year, so I am becoming more familiar with her. She handles great, planes immediately, runs 60 on a good day, and fuel economy is great!!!
Fastest on the lake, NOT!!!!! However, my son's '03 22 Classic with a 496HO isn't either.....
Both are fantastic boats!!!! If you have any specific questions, send me a note.... (or better come on down and try em out....)
Best of luck w your choice....
Butch

roadtrip se
11-04-2011, 02:49 PM
MOP said.. " the SB 22 IMO handles better and flies much better off a wake."

RTSE responds... "No not really, the C22 was designed with a BB in mind. Mine flies fine in really big water on the Great Lakes I have had A** heavy boats that did not fly even, the C22 with a BB is not one of them."

MOP said... " No question you can get into short staining speeds with a BB, but I am long got past trying to prove anything."

RTSE responds... "With 2 1/3 more HP than the typical 350MPI, the only person I am here to impress is myself."

MOP said..."Even with the 383 I get 4 mpg @ cruise which is 43 @ 3200, I top out @ 65.5 but spend nearly -0- time up there."

RTSE responds... "Come to AOTH and you will spend time up there jsut trying to find the lunch stop and you will get lapped by every 18 Classic in the field."

MOP said... "When I was getting ready to do mine over I was offered a Merc 500 that had been over heated, I Know I could have rebuilt it for spit compared to what is in the 383 but did not think twice about turning it down. My goal was a bullet proof setup which I have, those that have run with me know it came out fine."

RTSE responds... "My 500EFI was bullet proof for a decade and ran 80. Should have bought the 500 and had some fun."